• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Foil Embossed Test Cover Question - 92-93'
2 2

140 posts in this topic

Hello. First off I hope this comment is in the right category.

I am inquiring about a piece of Marvel memorabilia I received at a multi day comic convention in 1992 or 1993.

The piece of memorabilia is a test cover that only 10 were produced. The cover later on was used as the main cover for the Avengers 363 comic book. The successful test covers ushered in a wave of foil embossed covers in the 1990's. At the convention in Houston TX, they were giving out prizes every hour on the hour for the few days the convention was opperating. This was the grand prize and my Mother had won. She had regular taken me and my little brother to comic conventions in the 90's. She knew I was a hard core collector at 12 so she let me take care of it. So, to me its basically priceless. 

At the time I was 12. I had bombarded the men running the convention with about a 1,001 questions about this test cover when my Mom went to accept the grand prize. I was told the following.

1. Only 10 are in existence

2. The success of the test covers ushered in the wave of foil embossed comics during the 90's

3. The price tag at the time was about $14,000

4. A few years ago I saw one on Ebay for a price tag near 13K

5. One of the men told me not to sell it or trade it for anything... talk about a Willy Wonka moment....

This was without a doubt the most precious thing I have ever obtained and right along with my Hulk 181 it was my most prized possession. And for a middle-class kid I thought I did pretty damn well.

Well, as most of you know who had collected rare comic items in the early 90's and before. There is no COAs!!!

So.. Here is my long winded question. Is there a way to find out the value and to obtain a COA? I would like to have this graded by CGC at some point.

Thanks in advanced to my fellow comic collectors!

Lee

A363+Test.jpg

test-cover.jpg

55 minutes ago, don lavender said:

Hello. First off I hope this comment is in the right category.

I am inquiring about a piece of Marvel memorabilia I received at a multi day comic convention in 1992 or 1993.

The piece of memorabilia is a test cover that only 10 were produced. The cover later on was used as the main cover for the Avengers 363 comic book. The successful test covers ushered in a wave of foil embossed covers in the 1990's. At the convention in Houston TX, they were giving out prizes every hour on the hour for the few days the convention was opperating. This was the grand prize and my Mother had won. She had regular taken me and my little brother to comic conventions in the 90's. She knew I was a hard core collector at 12 so she let me take care of it. So, to me its basically priceless. 

At the time I was 12. I had bombarded the men running the convention with about a 1,001 questions about this test cover when my Mom went to accept the grand prize. I was told the following.

1. Only 10 are in existence

2. The success of the test covers ushered in the wave of foil embossed comics during the 90's

3. The price tag at the time was about $14,000

4. A few years ago I saw one on Ebay for a price tag near 13K

5. One of the men told me not to sell it or trade it for anything... talk about a Willy Wonka moment....

This was without a doubt the most precious thing I have ever obtained and right along with my Hulk 181 it was my most prized possession. And for a middle-class kid I thought I did pretty damn well.

Well, as most of you know who had collected rare comic items in the early 90's and before. There is no COAs!!!

So.. Here is my long winded question. Is there a way to find out the value and to obtain a COA? I would like to have this graded by CGC at some point.

Thanks in advanced to my fellow comic collectors!

Lee

A363+Test.jpg

test-cover.jpg

the only thing I can help you with is that the regular foil version that is the blue one is worth like 30$ graded 9.8. 

As for your I'll call it virgin variant as it doesn't have the issue# and price on it or the blue colour not sure the value of it but the condition looks to be a bit rough so grading it from CGC it could be a bit lower grade as it looks like there's a fingerprint stain and some bends on the spine and on the bottom corner. 

Thats actually on the original plastic sleeve not the cover itself. I have never transported it out of the original plastic in nearly 30 years. Yes, there are a few bends on the left hand side. I know it's a bit of an anomaly for any new collectors out there that don't realize the significance of only having 10 produced as a way to see the validity of potential for mass production. 

22 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

the only thing I can help you with is that the regular foil version that is the blue one is worth like 30$ graded 9.8. 

As for your I'll call it virgin variant as it doesn't have the issue# and price on it or the blue colour not sure the value of it but the condition looks to be a bit rough so grading it from CGC it could be a bit lower grade as it looks like there's a fingerprint stain and some bends on the spine and on the bottom corner. 

Not helpful.... 

I think the key to finding out information is coming to a forum of internet strangers and maligning them if/when they try to help, even if they already admitted they knew they weren't being that helpful.

people don't know what you know or where you're coming from.  It seems you saw those responses as an affront to something personal, but objectively it looks like you're standing outside with a sign asking for change then you're spitting on a dude who apologetically gives you a few pennies because that's all he has.

A zillion newbies come around all the time asking about the value of things they believe to be valuable but they really aren't or they don't consider condition or they don't know enough to know they're asking the wrong questions or not providing enough info to answer the questions properly.

But even so, I'm happy give you my pennies.  Keep in mind that I don't know any more about who you are or what you've done than what I've just read, so if you've already done it, or already know about it, congratulations to you.  But here's what I would do in your position:

1.  Post front at back pictures.  Is it just a front cover? I know you're hesitant to open it, but that might reveal some info (might not).  The more information you provide about the comic for the public, the better your odds of learning something.  Is anything written on the back? is the material different than that of the actual comic? Unless its really sealed sealed, then maybe don't open it.  If handling, use appropriate gloves.

2.  Try to remember who you talked to or gave out the comic in the 90's, whether its a person or company or whatever.  Try to contact them.  Understandably might prove difficult

3.  Possibly contact the artist(S) or their representative who made the cover, or maybe even the writer.  Since this is so special, they might have gotten a copy too.

4.  Contact any of the comic auction houses, they might have sold or come across one like that, or similar to that item.

5.  Honestly, you might even consider contacting Marvel about it directly.  Write them a letter, tell them your story and all the info, who knows?  Similarly tweet at them or hit them on instagram.  Go all in at them.

But hopefully someone else here can help.  Also, I think the odds of a COA 30 years after the fact doesn't seem like a thing.  BUT in the event you have enough support, CGC might make some type of official sounding notations on your slab in event you get it slabbed.  Hell you can contact them and see if they know anyone. 

1 hour ago, Xadus24 said:

I know it's a bit of an anomaly for any new collectors out there that don't realize the significance of only having 10 produced as a way to see the validity of potential for mass production. 

By the way Krismusic. I believe this one is over your head. 

Not helpful.... 

52 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

Oh and since it’s such a rare topic in the Marvel world and only 10 exists I am guessing that probably 90+% knows absolutely nothing about these 10 prints 

Why are you even here? You seem to know more about this than anyone trying to help you, so why even ask for our help? Just to insult us and make yourself feel better?

Oh, BTW - its spelled "grammar".

-slym

Edited by slym2none

2 hours ago, Xadus24 said:

This is inaccurate. Embossed foil covers had been around for a while before this.

s-l1000.jpg

This was not new technology for the four Avengers anniversary issues (#360, 363, 366, 369.)

The first "foil embossed" comics came about in 90/early 91:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Silver Surfer #50 was the first Marvel comic with foil embossing.

It was followed in quick succession by others:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

By the way Krismusic. I have the capability of researching prices of CGC'd items. I believe this one is over your head. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Thats actually on the original plastic sleeve not the cover itself. I have never transported it out of the original plastic in nearly 30 years. Yes, there are a few bends on the left hand side. I know it's a bit of an anomaly for any new collectors out there that don't realize the significance of only having 10 produced as a way to see the validity of potential for mass production.