• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Foil Embossed Test Cover Question - 92-93'
2 2

140 posts in this topic

This thread is already costing me money.  I might now pick up a ticket to see Bocelli again. 

Saw him last year at MSG with the family and it was truly exceptional. 

This all seems to prove my point. Most have no idea about the history Marvel foil prints. Yes, there were many comics that preceded the Avengers 363. But it's the graphic on the Avengers 363 that was used in the first batch of test prints for foil covers to see if this was a viable option. Only 10 were made. I would like to hear from someone that knows this same story and maybe have more information that I do. 

Thanks for the helpful information people.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who knows what I'm referring to. Rather than uneducated speculation. Yes Silver Surfer was the first actual foil cover. I'm talking about the batch of test prints that preceded all actual comics. So there is no actual comic inside. just incase people who don't know about "Test Prints" that Marvel was working on in preparation for the Foil Mania.

Thanks guys ~

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh, and you should never, ever, EVER, under any circumstances, believe anything you think you remember from when you were 12.

It's almost certainly wrong.

Guess how many of this exist:

Maxx0.5TestPrintBlueCGC9.8.jpg

1?

Just now, Xadus24 said:

This all seems to prove my point. Most have no idea about the history Marvel foil prints. Yes, there were many comics that preceded the Avengers 363. But it's the graphic on the Avengers 363 that was used in the first batch of test prints for foil covers to see if this was a viable option. Only 10 were made. I would like to hear from someone that knows this same story and maybe have more information that I do. 

Thanks for the helpful information people.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who knows what I'm referring to. Rather than uneducated speculation. Yes Silver Surfer was the first actual foil cover. I'm talking about the batch of test prints that preceded all actual comics. So there is no actual comic inside. just incase people who don't know about "Test Prints" that Marvel was working on in preparation for the Foil Mania.

Thanks guys ~

Personal favorite of mine... (I don't speak any Italian either except for the swear words and some phrases.)

Glad to know I'm popular with the kids. Don't worry I've seen jealousy before. I've been playing MMORPGS since the days of DAOC and played on the PVP server as my main.... I've seen worse trash talkers. At least I am gaining your energy right now. #Energyvampire.

1177464630_ScreenShot2019-12-10at6_33_46PM.png.7310b384631270a950e5c5406bd05838.png

1 minute ago, Xadus24 said:

Glad to know I'm popular with the kids. Don't worry I've seen jealousy before. I've been playing MMORPGS since the days of DAOC and played on the PVP server as my main.... I've seen worse trash talkers. At least I am gaining your energy right now. #Energyvampire.

1177464630_ScreenShot2019-12-10at6_33_46PM.png.7310b384631270a950e5c5406bd05838.png

5 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

lollollol

That"s some street cred. 

21 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

Again: foil embossing...even complete cover foil embossing...was not new. There would have been no need to make "test prints" to see if this "was a viable option." The process had already been in use on comics for at least a couple of years prior, if not more. Tests of this nature, while not exceptionally common, are not very valuable, because they are viewed as experiments. To imagine they're worth five figures is pure fantasy. While NEAT...it's not something that the comics market really cares that much about. The fact that there's no "actual comic inside" makes it even LESS desirable. This is nothing but a COVER PROOF. They are not rare.

Here's a cover proof from the 70's:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's one from the 50's:

$_61.JPG

Here's a Vengeance of Vampirella #25:

s-l500.jpg

How do you know only 10 were made? "Cuz the person told me!" is not the answer. Do you have any documentation? Sounds like you don't. 

25 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

Yes Silver Surfer was the first actual foil cover.

No. Silver Surfer #50 was the first embossed foil cover that MARVEL did. As I showed above, embossed foil covers had been done prior to that. 

29 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

I'm talking about the batch of test prints that preceded all actual comics.

Let's dispel some of your misunderstanding. This book did not "precede all actual comics." It did not precede all embossed foil comics. The cover was drawn by Steve Epting. Steve Epting drew this artwork some time in the second half of 1992, later rather than sooner. It's possible he didn't even draw this until early 1993. The book was published in April of 1993. By that time, multiple embossed foil comics had already been published. There is no way...at all...by any stretch of the imagination...that this cover proof was the "test" to see if "foil embossing" was "viable."

42 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

just incase people who don't know about "Test Prints" that Marvel was working on in preparation for the Foil Mania.

Is "Foil Mania" a phrase you made up?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a simple cover proof, and nothing more.

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Personal favorite of mine... (I don't speak any Italian either except for the swear words and some phrases.)

You want to hear sublimity...?

Listen to this:

Pay particular attention starting at 3:15. At 3:29, you will hear Caballe float a high C. Now...if you're not a musician or a music nerd, it's hard to understand why that's so incredible.

Maybe this can help: It's the vocal equivalent of pressing a 2.5 copy of Rai and the Future Force #12 into a 9.9 copy of Action Comics #1.

And that's not really hyperbole. It's the greatest demonstration of vocal control recorded anywhere, by anyone, at any time. If it doesn't at least give you chills, you have no soul. And she totally shames Placido by holding it a full 3 seconds longer than he does.

It was my aunt's favorite aria. I played it at her funeral, per her request.

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Again: foil embossing...even complete cover foil embossing...was not new. There would have been no need to make "test prints" to see if this "was a viable option." The process had already been in use on comics for at least a couple of years prior, if not more. Tests of this nature, while not exceptionally common, are not very valuable, because they are viewed as experiments. To imagine they're worth five figures is pure fantasy. While NEAT...it's not something that the comics market really cares that much about. The fact that there's no "actual comic inside" makes it even LESS desirable. This is nothing but a COVER PROOF. They are not rare.

Here's a cover proof from the 70's:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's one from the 50's:

$_61.JPG

Here's a Vengeance of Vampirella #25:

s-l500.jpg

How do you know only 10 were made? "Cuz the person told me!" is not the answer. Do you have any documentation? Sounds like you don't. 

No. Silver Surfer #50 was the first embossed foil cover that MARVEL did. As I showed above, embossed foil covers had been done prior to that. 

Let's dispel some of your misunderstanding. This book did not "precede all actual comics." It did not precede all embossed foil comics. The cover was drawn by Steve Epting. Steve Epting drew this artwork some time in the second half of 1992, later rather than sooner. It's possible he didn't even draw this until early 1993. The book was published in April of 1993. By that time, multiple embossed foil comics had already been published. There is no way...at all...by any stretch of the imagination...that this cover proof was the "test" to see if "foil embossing" was "viable."

Is "Foil Mania" a phrase you made up?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a simple cover proof, and nothing more.

3j2jjw.jpg

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You want to hear sublimity...?

Listen to this:

Pay particular attention starting at 3:15. At 3:29, you will hear Caballe float a high C. Now...if you're not a musician or a music nerd, it's hard to understand why that's so incredible.

Maybe this can help: It's the vocal equivalent of pressing a 2.5 copy of Rai and the Future Force #12 into a 9.9 copy of Action Comics #1.

And that's not really hyperbole. It's the greatest demonstration of vocal control recorded anywhere, by anyone, at any time. If it doesn't at least give you chills, you have no soul. And she totally shames Placido by holding it a full 3 seconds longer than he does.

It was my aunt's favorite aria. I played it at her funeral, per her request.

No, I get it.  That was very impressive. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

No, I get it.  That was very impressive. 

Isn't it breathtaking? It brings me to tears. My aunt introduced me to that recording, years and years ago, and it's especially poignant now that she's gone. We listened to it together before she passed. I'm glad she got to enjoy her favorite music one last time.