• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Foil Embossed Test Cover Question - 92-93'
2 2

140 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Park said:

3j2jjw.jpg

You obviously haven't read all of my threads. I've acknowledged things in your post in my previous comments. This is very technical. Prior to any foil comics being produced they had to do print tests to see if it was viable. The machine that produced the initial 10 test covers is the machine that printed "ALL" of the foil covers which then started with the silver surfer issue. Read carefully bro.

1 minute ago, Xadus24 said:

You obviously haven't read all of my threads. I've acknowledged things in your post in my previous comments. This is very technical. Prior to any foil comics being produced they had to do print tests to see if it was viable. The machine that produced the initial 10 test covers is the machine that printed "ALL" of the foil covers which then started with the silver surfer issue. Read carefully bro.

First, you're responding to Park, and Park doesn't know what you're talking about.

Second, no. You are very, very much mistaken, for all of the reasons I've already explained in lengthy detail. As I already explained, Silver Surfer #50 was NOT the first foil embossed comic ever made. Steve Epting's first Marvel work was Avengers #335, which came out two months AFTER Silver Surfer #50 was published. How, then, is Steve Epting meant to have drawn a cover, for a title he was not yet working on, which was then supposed to have been the prototype for "all" foil covers prior to the man even working for the company...?

Read carefully bro.

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, zeezee said:

You really want to know how valuable they are?  Put them up for sale/ auction. 

Good call. I researched this briefly about 8 years ago and I saw one on Ebay for around 13K. I never followed up to see if it sold but last time I searched I wasn't able to find it. I'm actually doing research on the machines at this point thinking I might get a clue there. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Xadus24 said:

Good call. I researched this briefly about 8 years ago and I saw one on Ebay for around 13K. I never followed up to see if it sold but last time I searched I wasn't able to find it. I'm actually doing research on the machines at this point thinking I might get a clue there. Thank you.

oCYQHm1.gif

33 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's a bit much, don't you think?

How so? My initial question specifically stated I was gathering information on the origins of a test print. His comments was a red herring. I admit posting the comic that the artwork was later used on next to the test print could be misleading. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

First, you're responding to Park, and Park doesn't know what you're talking about.

Second, no. You are very, very much mistaken, for all of the reasons I've already explained in lengthy detail. As I already explained, Silver Surfer #50 was NOT the first foil embossed comic ever made. Steve Epting's first Marvel work was Avengers #335, which came out two months AFTER Silver Surfer #50 was published. How, then, is Steve Epting meant to have drawn a cover, for a title he was not yet working on, which was then supposed to have been the prototype for "all" foil covers prior to the man even working for the company...?

Read carefully bro.

Good luck!

The first time Marvel talked to Epting, he wasn't available for regular work, so they asked him to just draw an Avengers cover. They liked it so much that they decided to use it test a process that had never before been used in comics to create a foil cover. It worked, so they had the writers work toward a story line that would suit that cover years later after Epting was able to join them.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it went down. (thumbsu

57 minutes ago, Xadus24 said:

How so? My initial question specifically stated I was gathering information on the origins of a test print. His comments was a red herring. I admit posting the comic that the artwork was later used on next to the test print could be misleading. 

Okay

But insulting his intelligence, it was cruel and uncalled for...even if you were oft put by what he said, you didn't have to go at him like that, he is one of the kindest posters on here, and contributes as best he can.

2 hours ago, Xadus24 said:

lol

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Read carefully bro.

Good luck!

giphy (27).gif

44 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The first time Marvel talked to Epting, he wasn't available for regular work, so they asked him to just draw an Avengers cover. They liked it so much that they decided to use it test a process that had never before been used in comics to create a foil cover. It worked, so they had the writers work toward a story line that would suit that cover years later after Epting was able to join them.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it went down. (thumbsu

Do you even DAOC, bro?