• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink sale
2 2

91 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

+1

I think a lot of the art is cool, but, all of the stories from this era are utterly forgettable to me. Someone opined the other day in another thread that the "real" ASM ended at issue #300, which pretty much mirrors my opinion.  In fact, to me, everything after #297 is a big "What If?"/"Elsewords"/"Ultimate" alternate universe, don't @ me, late '80s/'90s drek lovers. :sumo: 

Kind of an odd thing to say from someone who owned a McSpidey cover.  I'm guessing now that your purchase was purely for investment (shrug)

7 hours ago, romitaman said:

i traded this sale cover for 3800 2 years ago...was thinking of buying it back but decided against it... instead I won 2 pieces i felt went well under value.

The Tim Sale cover has been floating around for years after I returned to Tim. It’s not a great cover, and I suppose people are tired of seeing it, hence the low price. 

27 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Kind of an odd thing to say from someone who owned a McSpidey cover.  I'm guessing now that your purchase was purely for investment (shrug)

I said I liked the art, and I'm an art collector. (shrug) From an artistic point of view, I'd place McFarlane only behind Ditko and Romita Sr. to have worked on the character.  I mean, sure, I have more nostalgia for Kane and Frenz, but, in terms of objective quality/influence/impact, I'd have to place McFarlane above those two.

You can't tell me that everyone buying McFarlane and Lee art from their Marvel days is doing it because they loved the stories.  I mean, how many Michelinie/McFarlane ASM or Claremont/Lee X-Men stories are really memorable at all aside from general feelings of nostalgia?  When people go :luhv: over a cool Lee/Williams FF page from Heroes Reborn, how many of them give any consideration to the story?  How many of them even read the story?!!  Similarly, how many people who would love to have a Jim Lee X-Men page can even recall what the (mostly terrible) Claremont stories from that era were about (for me, personally, anything after X-Men #213 is hit or miss at best)? While McFarlane ASM art has a wide range of admirers (including myself), how many people over the age of 50 think the stories were anything but garbage? It's mostly about love of McFarlane's art, love for Venom ( :screwy:) and general nostalgia.

Like myself, I think many people see those pages and it just evokes feelings of a time when we were young and liked cool-looking drawings of our favorite superheroes.  The stories generally range from terrible to mediocre. :fear: 

Edited by delekkerste

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Like myself, I think many people see those pages and it just evokes feelings of a time when we were young and liked cool-looking drawings of our favorite superheroes.  The stories generally range from terrible to mediocre. :fear: 

Well, yeah.  Isn't that why most of us collect?

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

+1

Not only was I not a fan of how McFarlane drew MJ most of the time, but, I loathed the writing during this time. Hard luck Peter is now married to a bombshell supermodel (MJ), doing a book tour, and fighting a brain-eating alien symbiote (Venom = dumbest villain ever).  Suddenly, the guy everyone can relate to became a guy that no one could relate to, going totally against the essence of the Spidey mythos.  

I think a lot of the art is cool, but, all of the stories from this era are utterly forgettable to me. Someone opined the other day in another thread that the "real" ASM ended at issue #300, which pretty much mirrors my opinion.  In fact, to me, everything after #297 is a big "What If?"/"Elsewords"/"Ultimate" alternate universe, don't @ me, late '80s/'90s drek lovers. :sumo: 

@delekkerste

@

@

Hot takes galore !! lol

With respect to the later writing on ASM and UXM, one should also place it in the context of age-at-time-of-reading.  I thought the storylines were amazing largely because... I was... a kid. 

Lately I've been re-reading Jim Lee's run on X-Men vol. 2, and the plots are meandering, the stories schizo.  But hot damn did I think crazy fun stuff was going on as a kid (admittedly the art had a big effect).

2 hours ago, vodou said:

It was either 2000 or 2001 that Mitch offered me MK #1 cover for $5k. My how times have change ;)

Yep I remember that. I was broke. We were still trying to figure out what to pay for things. I know it will sound funny to some but 5 K in 2000 was a lot of money. I am married too so I had to clear it with Mrs. Grape Ape too.

Im pretty sure I saw a couple of of Romita Spider-Man covers in the CGC? monthly rag late nineties. I was going to buy those Mitch Catalogs that Lee was selling on eBay but they are full of things I didn’t buy for nineties prices.:|

9 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Yep I remember that. I was broke. We were still trying to figure out what to pay for things. I know it will sound funny to some but 5 K in 2000 was a lot of money. I am married too so I had to clear it with Mrs. Grape Ape too.

Im pretty sure I saw a couple of of Romita Spider-Man covers in the CGC? monthly rag late nineties. I was going to buy those Mitch Catalogs that Lee was selling on eBay but they are full of things I didn’t buy for nineties prices.:|

$5K was HUGE money for OA is 2000.

i recall outbidding Burkey and Moy in 2002 on eBay for two ASM covers published in 1981 and 1982, for the lofty sum of 2.5K each

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

$5K was HUGE money for OA is 2000.

i recall outbidding Burkey and Moy in 2002 on eBay for two ASM covers published in 1981 and 1982, for the lofty sum of 2.5K each

It was hard (near impossible) to beat Mike on anything ASM related back then. Kudos to you. 
Yes today tons of data to support why you should or shouldn’t buy this or that for X amount of dollars.

Back then...honestly from 1995-2005 it was the Wild Wild West. Very little to go on so you had to have courage to pony up thousands of dollars.

Today I smile every time FMV and data research comes in to a conversation. It’s valid fodder don’t get me wrong. Back then (nineties especially) you had to

1) trust your art dealer

2) trust your eyes (Mitch) catalogs were great) but many catalogs were xerox copies and shrunk down to postage stamp size or no pic at all only a description. You’d have to find the comic to see how accurate it was.

3) trust your gut.....this really should be ranked #1. Nothing that I bought back then would I regret later for the amount spent. That goes for my art selections artistically also. I never got tired of a page. It was always finances, or another piece of art that led to me selling art.

4) money should never stop you from making a purchase! Unless....fill in the blank here. Almost every lament I hear is “could’ve had it for X now it’s going for:flipbait:.......not “I bought it for X and took a bath when I resold it.”

Now we certainly will see an increase in the latter when overly ambitious flippers test the market. Too many tools to track what something sold for last time out today.

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

We were still trying to figure out what to pay for things. I know it will sound funny to some but 5 K in 2000 was a lot of money.

As I'd bought other covers from the series in the low, low hundreds, spending $5,000 -even for #1 was hard to justify.

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

I have 50+ of my old catalogs I’m looking to sell.

make me an offer!

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Also described by the ABC’s of dissing :

Amazingly mediocre

Beautifully underwhelming

Chicstoneshly Salbuscemaish

::takes off artsoc anti-buscema hat::

Actually I don’t think anyone’s really engaged in downplaying Chic Stone. I think for a lot of us he is our preferred vintage inker on Kirby. A lot of people will say Sinnott or Ayers or get smart and say Syd, but I bet for a large percentage Chic is their favorite. Ayers folks probably are saying it because those are the most valuable, and Sinnott is just so overpowering it makes everything look like Sinnott using (insert artists name here) as layouts.

Ok that’s all, Going back into downplay mode.

::hat repositioned::

Very good, your words do the committee proud!

14 hours ago, Bronty said:

You’re spot on.   I wanted to like it.    I wanted to find a reason to trip reserve.  But every time I looked at it I liked it a little less.       

That's how I thought about it.  At first I was excited to see a 2x splash up.  But then each time I looked at it I liked it less.