• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink sale
2 2

91 posts in this topic

McFarlane and Capullo each worked on both pencils and inks

I got the Spawn 26 cover straight from Greg. Not sure where they got that McFarlane worked pencils on the piece with Greg. This piece is like the others - Greg’s full pencils with McFarlane inks. I hope it didn’t go for 19k because of that reason.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

::takes off artsoc anti-buscema hat::

Actually I don’t think anyone’s really engaged in downplaying Chic Stone. I think for a lot of us he is our preferred vintage inker on Kirby. A lot of people will say Sinnott or Ayers or get smart and say Syd, but I bet for a large percentage Chic is their favorite. Ayers folks probably are saying it because those are the most valuable, and Sinnott is just so overpowering it makes everything look like Sinnott using (insert artists name here) as layouts.

Ok that’s all, Going back into downplay mode.

::hat repositioned::

Very good, your words do the committee proud!

Exceptionally Adequate 

Chic.                  Sal

Presuming most collectors, as I do find Chic Stone exceptional and sadly Sal is seen as merely adequate (not my opinion)....the ABC’s of dissing are guided by the ABDS ( Always Be Dissing Sal) quotient rule or:

Exceptionally is to Chic Stone as(thumbsu

Adequate is to Sal Buscema ¬¬

or

ECS > ASB

Now commence for 2 minutes of

H8 H8 H8 H8 H8 H8 H8 

Ok this floored me. The first image   is from the C-Link auction that just went down: This is from the C-Link auction description: Note: The original paste-ups were missing and the word balloons are replacement stats.  

SOLD $4,000 December 2019

RAD32A7520191030_142224.jpg

The second image describes the last date of sale (August 2017) at Heritage with the description:Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito Spectacular Spider-Man #5 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1977). The board is very toned, and almost all of the paste-up text is missing, leaving discolored glue residue in their wake. Only the first balloon on the page is still there. Overall in Good condition.

Sold $717    August 2017      

2 years pass, bust out the Crest toothpaste to make the board (page) minty fresh white. Xerox some word balloons and affix to board. Presto $717 investment + arts and crafts = $4,000 sale. The work is very well done. I can think of a couple of talented conservationists that may have touched this.Kudos to HA in the first auction describing the page as very toned. I imagine you could describe the condition of your boxers after a trip to Casa Bonita all you can eat buffet as very toned also.

Original Comic Art:Panel Pages, Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito Spectacular Spider-Man #5 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1977)....

1 minute ago, MagnusX said:

For me the surprise was the result of 2 Fantastic Four covers,
# 326 by Ron Frenz $ 7,800
# 359 by Paul Ryan $ 6,900
Strong prices for early  90's material
and not so strong artists...

ffc1.jpg.de9db0445d43abf15bf30829415fa415.jpgffcc2.jpg.15eb91af4f7f2a753db2247827a00bc4.jpg

Frenz was a good buy, Ryan not so much.

That makes sense.   90s butt shot through the legs is icky.

but Frenz is well liked and a better cover and the Frightful Four with bonus points for having the pointy-rocks Thing.

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Frenz was a good buy, Ryan not so much.

Frenz FF covers from this era have been commanding this price (and higher) for the last few years.

the Paul Ryan stuff from the early 90’s can sometimes command prices in the $6K and up range. His Iron Man and GI Joe covers resonate with me as being in the $5K range, with the exception of an Iron Man cover with Fung Fang Foom, which sold for around $7K several years ago

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Frenz FF covers from this era have been commanding this price (and higher) for the last few years.

the Paul Ryan stuff from the early 90’s can sometimes command prices in the $6K and up range. His Iron Man and GI Joe covers resonate with me as being in the $5K range, with the exception of an Iron Man cover with Fung Fang Foom, which sold for around $7K several years ago

I am imagining Fung Fang Foom as the Bat-Mite of the Foom-i-verse.

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

Ok this floored me. The first image   is from the C-Link auction that just went down: This is from the C-Link auction description: Note: The original paste-ups were missing and the word balloons are replacement stats.  

SOLD $4,000 December 2019

RAD32A7520191030_142224.jpg

The second image describes the last date of sale (August 2017) at Heritage with the description:Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito Spectacular Spider-Man #5 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1977). The board is very toned, and almost all of the paste-up text is missing, leaving discolored glue residue in their wake. Only the first balloon on the page is still there. Overall in Good condition.

Sold $717    August 2017      

2 years pass, bust out the Crest toothpaste to make the board (page) minty fresh white. Xerox some word balloons and affix to board. Presto $717 investment + arts and crafts = $4,000 sale. The work is very well done. I can think of a couple of talented conservationists that may have touched this.Kudos to HA in the first auction describing the page as very toned. I imagine you could describe the condition of your boxers after a trip to Casa Bonita all you can eat buffet as very toned also.

Original Comic Art:Panel Pages, Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito Spectacular Spider-Man #5 Story Page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1977)....

Haha I think I sold that page on HA originally. Thought it looked familiar

On 12/11/2019 at 4:07 AM, dichotomy said:

Here is a rambling And honest post written on my phone early in the morning. Speaking honestly, if I had walked away with the McFarlane and the Quitely for 15k I would have been happy. For the McFarlane I was top bidder throughout but capped out at 13k, which I already thought was expensive, but not unreasonable. 19k is crazy, but makes me happy vis-à-vis my existing page, which I had always kept as reserve your one day bend @AnkurJ to my will in a trade 😜. 19k for Peter in civvies, although you do get a ”that’s what she said” joke in blue line that’s pretty funny. It’s a good page and everyone looks great, but 19k is a bit much. There are some pages in which, possibly because of the printing, MJ looks pretty beat.

The Quitely I thought was excellent. EXCELLENT. Practically a recreation of the cover, beautiful detail throughout, lots of Superman. I can’t wait to see it in person. How often do these even come up? Even rarer than McSpidey I’d wager. Certainly not cheap, but definitely at par with a Good Mignola Jungle Adventure page. The right cover from All Star Superman (impossible to abbreviate into initials...) would be a grail for me, but I’ll definitely take this page as a hold-over. After I lost the McFarlane I upped my bid and put the phone away. 

66F7E61D-21D8-46A0-9EE6-02A791078E8E.jpeg

F00A9E92-B8D8-4BFF-B5EB-EA1B3C26EFDC.jpeg

FEEDA827-69FE-4C73-8481-9945C0248C76.jpeg

8C23513F-F366-4F32-B6B8-F71ABD6FFF0A.jpeg

I used to own this ASM #304 page.  I thought it was a good "leggy" image of MJ!

ASM304pg11.jpg

On 12/12/2019 at 11:17 AM, MagnusX said:

For me the surprise was the result of 2 Fantastic Four covers,
# 326 by Ron Frenz $ 7,800
# 359 by Paul Ryan $ 6,900
Strong prices for early  90's material
and not so strong artists...

ffc1.jpg.de9db0445d43abf15bf30829415fa415.jpgffcc2.jpg.15eb91af4f7f2a753db2247827a00bc4.jpg

What did the FF #326 cover sell for last time around?  (Wasn't it in a CLink auction about 2+ years ago?)

10 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

OK, I’m coming out of the corner now to say I got the McFarlane Mary Jane page and I’m pretty stoked.  Got it for well under my max. :banana:

I remember this page and knowing McFarlane Mary Jane artwork was half of why I bought those issues at that time. 

09648CFC-8F5D-454E-8DD0-6CBBEDBBC160.jpeg

Congrats!!

I was speaking to a friend about it before the auction and thought it was a very good page.. neither of us thought it would go for that much, but this market is changing very quickly.. and it has a lot going for it.. Key artist from a Key issue in a key run for that artist, good content for a none spidey page. Glad to hear it went to someone who will enjoy it. Did you receive it yet? I ask because I am very impatiently waiting for my win..

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Congrats!!

I was speaking to a friend about it before the auction and thought it was a very good page.. neither of us thought it would go for that much, but this market is changing very quickly.. and it has a lot going for it.. Key artist from a Key issue in a key run for that artist, good content for a none spidey page. Glad to hear it went to someone who will enjoy it. Did you receive it yet? I ask because I am very impatiently waiting for my win..

No not yet

7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

OK, I’m coming out of the corner now to say I got the McFarlane Mary Jane page and I’m pretty stoked.  Got it for well under my max. :banana:

I remember this page and knowing McFarlane Mary Jane artwork was half of why I bought those issues at that time. 

09648CFC-8F5D-454E-8DD0-6CBBEDBBC160.jpeg

Congrats. Very memorable moment from a very memorable issue.

And while fans generally prefer Spidey "in costume," I'm fairly certain they're more than OK with MJ getting "out of costume"

On 12/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, exitmusicblue said:

That 359 sale is kinda nuts.  It took at least two bidders...

I'm pretty sure alot of the '80s and '90s pieces which hit 'high' prices were nostalgia driven. We are in 'That was my very first comic territory!' and we know that money is no object when it comes to grails.