• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 40 1944 signed by Kirby, Lee, Simon and Bellman
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I was told since three of the legends are dead and Bellman is in his late 90’s the book should be in a museum. Also I have two of the artists pictures signing the book. All the signatures are on the first page very rare. Kirby signed it in the late 70’s, Lee signed it in 1980, Simon signed it in 2009 and Bellman 2019. Most people don’t know that Kirby signed very few signatures after the late 80’s. Also, Lee only signed books on the inside early. Most of his Cgc signatures were on the cover of the books.

1 hour ago, Rick Landry said:

I was told since three of the legends are dead and Bellman is in his late 90’s the book should be in a museum. Also I have two of the artists pictures signing the book. All the signatures are on the first page very rare. Kirby signed it in the late 70’s, Lee signed it in 1980, Simon signed it in 2009 and Bellman 2019. Most people don’t know that Kirby signed very few signatures after the late 80’s. Also, Lee only signed books on the inside early. Most of his Cgc signatures were on the cover of the books.

I know it's surprising, but the value probably isn't drastically greater than that of the book by itself. This specific issue isn't overly rare or in high-demand. So assuming it's in very fine condition, say an 8.0, I suspect the value as of today--even with all of the signatures--is around $5K.

With signatures it's all about the market. As TSP noted, many collectors don't seek out signed books.

I realize this seems counter intuitive. Regardless of value it's definitely a nice piece of history.

That’s pretty amazing and maybe one of a kind. Especially nice that they are inside and hopefully signed with a ball point pen not a sharpie. The fact that you got them all yourself makes it even more special. 

I have a MAD #1 multi signed copy that I got myself. Was a thrill to do so because it is one of my most prized books. And I got to meet and talk to each one. 

Now the ugly spectre of value raises his head. I value signed books by figuring out what the autographs are worth indivualy then the value of the book it’s self. I bump it a little if there are several and if they are inside as not to mar the cover. 

I know there are people who prefer no signatures and I get that. To me, the sigs make the book a little more unique and thusly should add to the value especially if the signers are long gone. All of these people signed quite a bit, especially Stan. But, to have them all together makes this copy a bit sweeter. The fact that you had them do it yourself...priceless!

I am one of the collectors who does not pay more for signed books.  In fact, if the signature is on the cover and in sharpie I will just pass on it.  Inside the book is OK, and even on the cover in ball point pen is OK, but I don't think it really raises the value.  Yours is more valuable to you because you got the signatures done.  My Kirby and Barks signatures are valuable to me because I got them done.  It's funny, because I write books (not comics) and the people that buy them want them signed and personalized every time.  I joke that the unsigned copies will be more valuable than the signed books because the signed books amount to 95% of them.  lol

On 12/11/2019 at 9:45 AM, Rick Landry said:

It’s cool that you have the signatures but I don’t think it increases the value much.   Since you have photos with the creators I’d pay a little more, but if your copy was worth 3k I might pay 3500 or something.   I just can’t get too excited about signatures no matter who it is.