• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are some newer and/or lesser-known artists that you're into?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Since I don't read alot of comics these days, new to me may not be all that new.

I discovered Nicola Scott a few years ago when she started drawing Wonder Woman. And she drew Teen Titans and Dejah Thoris.

Convergence New Teen Titans #1 cover

VU07pvoH_1203150155561.jpg

Dejah Thoris design for Dynamite

usFfID5t_210318041018lola.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

Nicola Scott is great, I see a lot of joy in her work.  She was running a pretty good sale between Christmas and New Year, but I had just splurged on two pages so was unable to take advantage.  Good things.

12 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Since I don't read alot of comics these days, new to me may not be all that new.

I discovered Nicola Scott a few years ago when she started drawing Wonder Woman. And she drew Teen Titans and Dejah Thoris.

Convergence New Teen Titans #1 cover

VU07pvoH_1203150155561.jpg

Dejah Thoris design for Dynamite

usFfID5t_210318041018lola.jpg

Her best work is on her creator-owned title with Greg Rucka, Black Magick.

Related image

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Pepe Larraz / R.B. Silva - I lump these guys together for a couple of reasons - they are both successors to the Stuart Immonen style in their own unique ways and they both worked on the House of X / Powers of X duology from earlier this year that upended the X-Universe.  It's a shame both seem to mostly work in digital.

Photograph-595-1.jpg

clean.jpg

Russell Dauterman - another mostly digital guy - his work on Thor with Jason Aaron over the past few years was very striking.

russell_dauterman_war_of_the_realms_cove

Timothy Green II - I'm not sure why he doesn't get more work.  Perhaps his most famous work was on the precursor to the modern Guardians of the Galaxy in Annhilation: Conquest - Star-Lord.  This was the book that put together Marvel's dynamic duo, Rocket and Groot, for the first time ever (and shout out to me for owning the first on panel team-up of Rocket and Groot)

greenii1.jpg

On 1/8/2020 at 12:08 AM, ImmortalSamurai said:

Anthy Snyder!

Great Spider Gwen Painting I Got From Him:

44570563_2203280463286801_6502553505159446528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=l1gWISi7d08AQmAFiRm8hPlLyZL7Pt51OYy5bA_ZA2MoECK9wGxf5SI0g&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.fna&oh=29f251f645d7694403a7e799871bb4c5&oe=5EA6BABC

For all it’s worth, Snyder is one of the better dealers out there. His prices are reasonable and he treats his customers fairly. I have no doubt that you paid a fair price for a nice piece of work. So, congratulations on your acquisition.

Edited by Rick2you2

I’ll second Pepe Larraz. Ben Oliver is another artist with a great touch - both Pepe and Ben have produced some killer commissions as I’ve seen on CAF. Also relatively new is my favorite, Tradd Moore, an artist often missed by collectors not reading modern books. Truly, his art has to be seen in person to really be appreciated. I heard such good thing that I paid a relatively small sum to buy a page from a series a knew nothing about, and from the moment I saw it I was hooked. And the more I found out the more I was just gobsmacked by his art. From the House of Felix. 

C31FC040-95FD-48EB-B3C6-B24B6B4076E8.jpeg

60BB8F08-2F45-47D5-BF5E-B962C1E62EDE.jpeg

595C5035-04AE-4F41-ABED-015EF096CD1D.jpeg

12 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Also relatively new is my favorite, Tradd Moore, an artist often missed by collectors not reading modern books. Truly, his art has to be seen in person to really be appreciated. I heard such good thing that I paid a relatively small sum to buy a page from a series a knew nothing about, and from the moment I saw it I was hooked. And the more I found out the more I was just gobsmacked by his art. From the House of Felix. 

A very hearty second for Tradd Moore. I didn’t include him in my post as I figure he’s well known by now. But should be well known doesn’t always mean it’s true and you make a good point that being a modern artist means he may be overlooked by some. I don’t think it’s possible to overstate how incredible and unique his work is. I honestly believe he’ll be considered one of the all time greats as long as he keeps putting out content. 

I only own one piece by him, but it’s one of my favorite pieces I own. 

59694B71-A0C0-4071-B794-261EF0C8A007.png

Edited by Varanis

Tradd has had several distinct phases in his style already; I love 'em all. SILVER SURFER: BLACK has brought him his largest audience yet, and he's only going to build on that further with his next project. Can't wait for that to be announced.

For those who haven't seen it, here's a video from a few years ago where we showed off his original art to fans at SDCC. You really do need to see it in person to truly understand.