• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #18 double cover!

28 posts in this topic

It seems to me that in most cases with a double cover, there isn't such a vast difference in grade between the inside and outside cover. It's difficult to tell from the scan, but if the back cover is as nice as the front on the inside cover, it could be 9.0+. The outside cover has what might be water damage on the fc, bringing the grade way down to maybe 3.0.

I don't think the premium on on a double cover would be any higher than a Batman #18 in 9.0+, which carries a heavy premium all by itself.

If I win this book I am going to leave it as a double cover.This way the outer cover will continue to preserve the integrity of the inner cover! And double covers always bring a premium. It'll be a big kick to show off this book and then see people's reaction when they realize there is an inner cover. Thats what I love about double covers especially in a situation like this where the outside cover is so ugly! The grade of the book is always based on the inside cover anyways!

The grade of the book is always based on the inside cover anyways!

not always. just 99% of the time.

and i agree with Jeff, with the caveat being only if the book is slabbed. unslabbed, i can see the appeal of having two covers, but slabbed? nah

I've seen a Superman #12 double cover, but I'm sure there are earlier examples.

I think what is comes down to on the Batman #18 is whether the winning bidder is a double cover collector, or a high grade collector. I think a high grade collector will want it certified, and would rather see the inner cover through that slab than the crappy outer cover.

This auction is garnering some pretty high bids considering the back of the inner cover isn't even pictured. The front cover looks great, but pictures and scans can be deceiving. If that IS water damage on the outer cover, i'd be concerned about how that might also have affected the inner cover.

So what's the oldest double cover book out there? The only one I own is an Action Comics #74 (6.5 exterior, 8.5 interior).

I saw an All Flash Quarterly # 1 double cover about 10 years ago. Ouside was pretty good but the inside cover was sweet. I lost the dealers # or i would have called about it again because i have never forgotten it. Some guy in upstate NY. What a book.

Elvis

This thread gets me to wondering, have there ever been cases of faked double-cover books before? With all the other forms of restoration out there, and the solid interest in double cover variants, it just makes me wonder. I know it wouldn't be "easy" to do such a thing in a manner that was undetectable, but on the other hand it doesn't seem impossible either...

Sold for just under 2K to gijoed, whoever that is. It's a gamble at that price, but if that inner cover graded out at 9.4, he could quadruple his money.
Gijoed is Joe Desris, a big double cover collector as well as a collector of....GI Joes! confused-smiley-013.gif

Sold for just under 2K to gijoed, whoever that is. It's a gamble at that price, but if that inner cover graded out at 9.4, he could quadruple his money.
Gijoed is Joe Desris, a big double cover collector as well as a collector of....GI Joes! confused-smiley-013.gif

And also one of the biggest Batman fans and collectors on the planet. He has so much Bat memorabilia that he probably had to buy an extra house just to store it all.

This thread gets me to wondering, have there ever been cases of faked double-cover books before? With all the other forms of restoration out there, and the solid interest in double cover variants, it just makes me wonder. I know it wouldn't be "easy" to do such a thing in a manner that was undetectable, but on the other hand it doesn't seem impossible either...

I haven't heard of it and I don't think we'll see one if the price ratio between a double-cover and a single-cover stays constant. To produce a double-cover comic from two singles will require the bending of the staples -- something that would typically be noticed and noted as restoration. Second, you'll end up with a double cover and a coverless comic that together would be worth less than the two single comics.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2005 at 10:58 AM, SignatureSelect said:

I understand the top cover is ugly but Double covers command a premium so why would you alter it.

Is there a rule of thumb (or more than one I'm guessing depending on the book ) on how to figure in a premium.  ?

On 8/13/2005 at 12:36 PM, adamstrange said:

I haven't heard of it and I don't think we'll see one if the price ratio between a double-cover and a single-cover stays constant. To produce a double-cover comic from two singles will require the bending of the staples -- something that would typically be noticed and noted as restoration. Second, you'll end up with a double cover and a coverless comic that together would be worth less than the two single comics.

Wasn't there a guy on eBay who was running this scam a couple of years ago?  I think it involved moderns.  There was a thread on it, but I don't remember the details.

I've been on the Boards for 13 years :facepalm: