• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Boardies, explain your usernames...
2 2

63 posts in this topic

It's been real swell getting to know folks better on here throughout the past year.  So for everyone's sakes... explain thy usernames. :foryou:

Mine is simple enough -- I loved Radiohead growing up, thought the title of their song "Exit Music" sounded cool, and added my college color blue.

4 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

It's been real swell getting to know folks better on here throughout the past year.  So for everyone's sakes... explain thy usernames. :foryou:

Mine is simple enough -- I loved Radiohead growing up, thought the title of their song "Exit Music" sounded cool, and added my college color blue.

doh!

im a Radiohead and I didn’t catch the reference. 

mine’s a diminutive of my full name. I need to get around to just changing my username to my full name. 

No one calls me Jay in real life. Ever. Sometimes Espy. For many years I was called John E. often spelled JohnE but never pronounced Johnny but rather John E.  

The AOK reference stands for Albright Original Kollection, or Kards, or Komics,  and the artman is for when I'm about the original komic art!

Hence, aokartman.  See pic, and click through a couple times for full flavor....

My ebay handle is bakeralbright never a negative the name is my wife's maiden name and my last name.

David S. Albright

Image.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic added, clarify

8 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Radiohead is the best band in the world.

It just sounded simple, friendly, and not something likely to be duplicated. Who wants to be known as, say, Rick00038?

In the past, I sometimes went by the user name "Grovercleveland". When I first was told I had to pick a screen name (when the internet was young), I quickly found the normal ones, like Rick, were taken. So, it was suggested I pick something no one else was likely to use. Our second fattest President nicely seemed to fit the bill. 

2 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Great Escape was my LCS in Nashville TN growing up, fond memories of reading comics after school, back-issue bins and dreaming of rare comics displayed on the wall.  Most of my weekly $5 allowance spent there.  :cloud9:

When I joined the CGC boards around 2004, I worked at General Electric so like Great Escape, the initials (GE) worked as a nickname. Finally, I’ve always viewed comics and OA as my ‘Great Escape’— a joyful retreat from my work/family commitments. 

Was it the one off Broadway? I use to stop by there when I lived in Tennessee. It was close to my favorite bars (red door, broadway brewhouse, Patterson house). Good memories 

Yeah, I agree.  It's not hiding.  I'm pretty open and out there (ie, I have my own website and am pretty easy to track down), but my screen name also has meaning to me and I've employed it for so long it's sort of a part of my identity.  But, I certainly understand what is meant by using the phrase "hiding" with a negative connotation due to bad actors doing nasty things.  Just understand that not everyone should be lumped into that same pool.