• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrospective on PGX, conversion to CGC, and specific grades recently received by each

36 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Very interesting. I could see people picking up PGX 9.6's in hopes to possibly get CGC 9.8's at a fraction of the cost. If this data is representative as whole, there are quite a few money making opportunities to be found.

:gossip:

You could buy 9.6 CGC or Voldemort slabs under the same premise...

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Clarified.

I tried to find the answer on my own, and I think that Voldemort = CBCS. Am I correct, or is Voldemort something else?

Sorry, I have not posted a lot here and am unfamiliar with the term Voldemort (though Harry Potter does come to mind).

Just now, comicdiablo said:

I tried to find the answer on my own, and I think that Voldemort = CBCS. Am I correct, or is Voldemort something else?

Sorry, I have not posted a lot here and am unfamiliar with the term Voldemort (though Harry Potter does come to mind).

yeah its CBCS

its from harry potter for the name that should not be spoken.. As it was rumored that people would get a strike or a warning or something from admins for talking about CBCS so people started to say Voldy to get around saying this and guess it has stuck for awhile now. Although I don't think the admins are too harsh for the use of CBCS name, but I could be wrong.. (shrug)

3 minutes ago, comicdiablo said:

Yes.

It's because someone who previously worked for CGC created CBCS. Not sure who started the nickname but it fits lol.

11 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

'cept...

PGX 9.6 value < CGC 9.6 value

yeah but with moderns re subbing with fee's, shipping etc.. wouldn't the profits be used up if it does upgrade and if it doesn't then your kind of out of luck

Just now, Krismusic said:

its from harry potter for the name that should not be spoken.. As it was rumored that people would get a strike or a warning or something from admins for talking about CBCS so people started to say Voldy to get around saying this and guess it has stuck for awhile now. Although I don't think the admins are too harsh for the use of CBCS name, but I could be wrong.. (shrug)

I think it was a 'business' tactic to prevent Steve's company from lifting off.*

*I have never worked for CGC and cannot corroborate this. It's simply a logical assumption on my part.

5 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

Thanks for the explanation. I actually mentioned an example of what I felt was a clearly overgraded CBCS 9.8 in a previous comment, but I didn't know anything about the (hopefully prior) history of the name that is not to be spoken.

Edited by comicdiablo

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think it was a 'business' tactic to prevent Steve's company from lifting off.*

*I have never worked for CGC and cannot corroborate this. It's simply a logical assumption on my part.

yeah quite possibly.... but its all just assumptions and hearsay.

1 minute ago, comicdiablo said:

Thanks for the explanation. I actually gave an example of what I felt was a clearly overgraded CBCS 9.8 in a previous comment, but I didn't know anything about the (hopefully previous) history of the name that is not to be spoken.

No problem.. at least you will know what other board members are talking about when you see the name Voldy 

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah but with moderns re subbing with fee's, shipping etc.. wouldn't the profits be used up if it does upgrade and if it doesn't then your kind of out of luck

I am aware of this. 

13 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

For sure, nowhere am I saying its a guarantee. Just thought it might be worth the risk for anyone trying to make a few bucks.

The other 4 comics that I got graded with PGX and then CGC this year just arrived from CGC today. As stated in my original post, this includes:

"2) Alita: Battle Angel #1 (First American Alita appearance)--personal estimate: 9.6; PGX grade: 9.4; CGC grade: 9.6"

CGC certification link: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=2080832002

2115457063_AlitaBattleAngel1CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.7170b775124578001ec5d569e51970c8.jpg

"3) Michael Turner's Soulfire v5 #2 Aspenstore.com Edition ("Boxing Day" variant)--personal estimate: 9.8; PGX grade 9.6; CGC grade: 9.8"

CGC certification link: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=2080832001

1750809154_Soulfire2BoxingDayvariantLim200.thumb.jpg.db1051eccaaf520577528489e28f9046.jpg

"4) The Tenth: Evil's Child #1 "Semi-Nude" Edition--personal estimate: 9.8; PGX grade: 9.6; CGC grade: 9.8"

CGC certification link: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=2080832004

1161856217_TheTenthEvilsChild1Semi-NudeEdition.thumb.jpg.c5fbc39d1b69f90d6bec079e5114285d.jpg

"5) The Tenth: Evil's Child #1 "Nude" Edition--personal estimate: 9.6; PGX grade: 9.6; CGC grade: 9.4 (stated in grader notes "light indent full center of back cover")"

CGC certification link: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=2080832003&grader-notes=yes

344432668_TheTenthEvilsChild1NudeEdition.thumb.jpg.3afd61cad58968032dff3cb8460e3661.jpg

Edited by comicdiablo