• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC slabs opened and tampered with?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I bought a couple of slabs from someone on eBay but I'm worried now that they have been tampered with.

I was looking at them and they look less than their grade seems to indicate.

By applying a little pressure, I can open the slab with my fingers by 1/4 of an inch in the middle part !

Also the labels look cheap and are wavy (not flat) but that was maybe like that back in the day ?

Maybe I'm just not used to the old slabs, but I don't think the middle part should be like that (see keys in pics) !

What do you think ? Please help ! Thanks

20191210_184846.jpg

20191214_220339.jpg

20191214_220425.jpg

20191214_221708.jpg

20191214_221631.jpg

20191214_221921.jpg

20191214_220311.jpg

20191214_220557.jpg

20191211_134613.jpg

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Gah! Get your keys out of there! You're gonna scratch the inner well!

Your slabs are perfectly normal. That's how they came prior to the 2016 change.

Thanks RockMyAmadeus. The keys are long gone. I was careful LOL.

So I'm relieved to hear that these slabs are normal.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, perfectly normal for that generation slab. What you have to watch out for are the posts. And, of course, check the books carefully, and make sure the appearance matches the grade given.

Nice looking books.

What are posts ? :)

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

check the books carefully, and make sure the appearance matches the grade given.

Good luck with that....,:p

17 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Hi guys. I bought a couple of slabs from someone on eBay but I'm worried now that they have been tampered with.

I was looking at them and they look less than their grade seems to indicate.

By applying a little pressure, I can open the slab with my fingers by 1/4 of an inch in the middle part !

Also the labels look cheap and are wavy (not flat) but that was maybe like that back in the day ?

Maybe I'm just not used to the old slabs, but I don't think the middle part should be like that (see keys in pics) !

What do you think ? Please help ! Thanks

I had to bold your sentence and point something out.

If you're buying a CGC graded book.  You are simply paying for a book with CGC's opinion.  They are by no means the "be all" experts of grading and it will likely not be the last time you disagree with the grading whether its points higher or lower.