• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant, cardboard Jet Rocket Ship advertised in Silver Age Comic Books
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Interesting.

In the 70s I was only aware of the Polaris submarine advert.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Interesting.

I've seen that ad often, but never seen the actual sub. Just like the rocket ship. I've only seen the picture of it in the ad, this is the first time I'm seeing the rocket ship. Very cool. Very close in detail to the pictures too.

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Wait... it was cardboard?. 

I found this out when I took my sub to the public pool. 

It took the lifeguard nearly 3 minutes to revive me and looked like a German torpedo hit a box factory. :frown:

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Very cool!

This strikes me as something HepCat (or HipCat?) should own. Like it would fit right in with his collection, if he has the room to display a 7 foot long cardboard spaceship. I wonder if he owns one. Or Geppi. Or someone else who has or had a comic museum with ample space for display of these type on historic comic book related collectable ad pieces. There are all kinds of large "toys" that have been advertised. A cardboard fort, a pantry, a tank, and so on. It is very cool to actually see it after noticing it for decades in the comic book pages. I'd offer $500 against his $1200 ask if I had a place to display it. That's the Achilles Heel for this as a collectable. Space. You need about 24 sq. feet of "dead space" for a platform to display it on. Maybe instead of a couch or bed? (shrug)

Edited by James J Johnson

Very cool item. I remember that ad. Maybe one of a kind now. Probably a museum piece. Would have been perfect for Geppi’s museum. I have a few pretty large items. But I really gotta love them a lot to use up that much space. I still buy a lot of stuff but turn most of it usually. Except comics. I can always find room for a few more of those...

3 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

wow! how did it survive all these years?

That's what I marvel at. Folded up in the back of a closet? Under a staircase? Where do you store it that it doesn't get moldy, or dirty, or ripped and mutilated every time something else stored with it rubs up against it? And how doesn't somebody eventually trip over it one last time and think, "what the hell is this piece of cardboard still doing here" and throw it out, like an old Christmas tree in a box that's been in an attic, unused for 30 years? Just amazing that this survived with brilliant colors and in what appears to be fastidious condition. This has to be the only one like this unless it's from a warehouse find from space that a seller or manufacturer/importer of these cardboard items used for storage. Probably worth the $1200, and maybe far more, from the standpoint of pure rarity. But the size!! Owning it is dependent more upon your disposable floor space than upon your disposable cash. :juggle:

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That's what I marvel at. Folded up in the back of a closet? Under a staircase? Where do you store it that it doesn't get moldy, or dirty, or ripped and mutilated every time something else stored with it rubs up against it? And how doesn't somebody eventually trip over it one last time and think, "what the hell is this piece of cardboard still doing here" and throw it out, like an old Christmas tree in a box that's been in an attic, unused for 30 years? Just amazing that this survived with brilliant colors and in what appears to be fastidious condition. This has to be the only one like this unless it's from a warehouse find from space that a seller or manufacturer/importer of these cardboard items used for storage. Probably worth the $1200, and maybe far more, from the standpoint of pure rarity. But the size!! Owning it is dependent more upon your disposable floor space than upon your disposable cash. :juggle:

if just one citizen Kane was aware that this.... his Rosebud really existed it could be worth 6 figures to him !

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

i wish someone was standing next to it  we had a better idea of the scale ....

They say 7 feet in the ad. It certainly seems to be at least that. And based on the other pics the seller imaged, it looks substantial! Maybe 3 feet high, at least, for the highest point?

13 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've seen that ad often, but never seen the actual sub

The following picture is from a book and an interview in Collectors Weekly (see following link)

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/sea-monkeys-and-x-ray-spex/

The caption from the "Collector's Weekly" interview reads: "Clayton Moraga, in 1967, in his Polaris Nuclear Sub, a glorified cardboard box, that could be destroyed by anything remotely wet, even dewy grass. Images via “Mail-Order Mysteries”

Clayton Moraga, in 1967, in his Polaris Nuclear Sub, a glorified cardboard box, that could be destroyed by anything remotely wet, even dewy grass. Images via "Mail-Order Mysteries."

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

i have to admit that is pretty awesome ... !!! 

but wow $6.98 was a lot of money back then....

Here's the sub ad that someone else mentioned.

If you wanted to collect these all now, first you have to collect the space to display them in!

sub.jpg