• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your collecting goals for 2020?
5 5

180 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m really not sure what my goals for 2020 are.  I’ve secured several great books this year.  I’m not sure how I could top it.  If I pick up 3 Timely issues this year, I’ll be happy........

of course I keep thinking about that pesky AF15. hm

1 AF15 would be  a great goal , but I dont know 3 Timely issues is hard to beat.

-Finish (or come close to finishing) the middle of my Kirby/Lee FF run (#30-67 + annuals). Just over halfway done so may fall a bit short. If, by some miracle, I make it will move on to #10-29.

-Upgrade a couple of the sub-par issues in my Claremont X-Men run.

-Make some tough selling decisions. May be time to say goodbye to Hellboy, Hawkeye, Vision, Grendel, some Wonder Woman, and a bunch of other moderns. I try to stay under 5K books in my collection and I just re-crossed that line. Plus I need the dollars for FF.

8 hours ago, oakman29 said:

1 AF15 would be  a great goal , but I dont know 3 Timely issues is hard to beat.

Unfortunately it’s very possible that I’d have to cough up a book or two towards the AF15 if I chose to go that route.  The Timely books would be easier to obtain and I wouldn’t have to let any books go.

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Unfortunately it’s very possible that I’d have to cough up a book or two towards the AF15 if I chose to go that route.  The Timely books would be easier to obtain and I wouldn’t have to let any books go.

Then you already know which way to turn young padawan. :applause:

This is going to be a hard one for me. I've felt very unfocused lately and other than a few nice original art pieces this year, I really haven't gone after anything specific per say. I think if anything 2020 will be a year of cataloging what I have, sending off books to slab, selling off approximately half of what I send off to have slabbed, and pick up one or two nice pieces of original art along the way. 

..I have started to give Charlton Comics a second 'serious' look this year, so will be focused on acquiring some in 2020. I Have always liked one book in particular(which i am secretly hoarding), have always wanted a  particular unicorn (Negro Romances #4) but that looks unlikely ever, but I have now expanded my horizons past just those. Some really nice 'unnoticed' gems in there.....

Because I Like getting comics "in the wild" I plan on keeping my contacts with the local auctioneers getting what I can when it comes up. It's kinda funny I used to be a "run" type guy but when I moved I look at some of the local stuff I picked up more fondly than the stuff I bought in the city or online.

3 hours ago, sagii said:

..I have started to give Charlton Comics a second 'serious' look this year, so will be focused on acquiring some in 2020. I Have always liked one book in particular(which i am secretly hoarding), have always wanted a  particular unicorn (Negro Romances #4) but that looks unlikely ever, but I have now expanded my horizons past just those. Some really nice 'unnoticed' gems in there.....

Nononononononononooooo Charlton are junky,nothing to see here....:ph34r:

11 hours ago, sagii said:

..That's what I used to think :shy:

I guess after many years of professing how wonderful they are and how great,some folk with good taste are bound to take notice. :foryou:

The hidden gems are neverending.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I guess after many years of professing how wonderful they are and how great,some folk with good taste are bound to take notice. :foryou:

The hidden gems are neverending.

Thanks!

..but be ready for some PM's over the next year for guidance on potential buys, scarcity, keys and such my friend :tink:

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Liquidate the rest of my slabs.

Collecting goal add on for 2020-see if I can get one of your OO buys for my collection if there's still some to be had.

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

Thanks!

..but be ready for some PM's over the next year for guidance on potential buys, scarcity, keys and such my friend :tink:

Anytime sir,although I'm sort of amateur,just buy what I love.Gerber is my best pal,and scrolling thru MCS photos.Seems every show I box dive at I uncover another obscure lovely-to me the best part of them :whee:

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Collecting goal add on for 2020-see if I can get one of your OO buys for my collection if there's still some to be had.

Thanks for the kind sentiment, but there are no more than a couple hundred left after this years' purge of 8 more longboxes.

Edited by namisgr

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

Thanks for the kind sentiment, but there are no more than a couple hundred left after this years' purge of 10 longboxes.

I'm sure I could pick something lovely,just kindly give me a heads up,please.I have a box of 'personal pedigrees' -I'm a strange sentimental sort,I love when a comic comes with a history I know a little about.I was actually thinking of making sure I picked up one of your comics in the last week,oddly enough,before you posted!

Like they always are from one year to the next...buy every golden/silver/bronze age comic in NM+/MINT or graded in 9.8 white! .....Let's Dream(Hallucinate) Big I say! .....
...Now on a more realistic level per my income...Will shoot for Silver Surfer #4 in 9.4 White and Conan #1 in 9.6 White...Also Doc Savage #2 in 9.8 White (Marvel from the 70's that only ran 8 issues).  
There are several more books but those are the tops ones for now and will involve me selling some books to help pay for these. 

Edited by musicmeta