• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your collecting goals for 2020?
5 5

180 posts in this topic

I think I can sum it up in one word – FOCUS (funny that I always preach this to my son, but don’t really follow it myself).

Cull my action figure collection and FOCUS on a couple of lines.

Scale back my weekly pull list and stop chasing all the variants (that in the end really mean next to nothing to me).

Purchase one of my grail books - WWBN #32, DD #1 or Aquaman #1.

54 minutes ago, an99 said:

I think I can sum it up in one word – FOCUS (funny that I always preach this to my son, but don’t really follow it myself).

Cull my action figure collection and FOCUS on a couple of lines.

Scale back my weekly pull list and stop chasing all the variants (that in the end really mean next to nothing to me).

Purchase one of my grail books - WWBN #32, DD #1 or Aquaman #1.

You'll hate it but, then love it if you follow thru with this.

I cut back & focused on what I really wanted in my collection a couple years ago. I don't buy much every year now but, I am much happier with what I do buy. 

Best of luck :tink:

4 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, I've already knocked two books off my list. Woo-Hoo!

Joe

Ah, the satisfaction of crossing stuff off of a list. Even though I do it digitally these days (an Excel sheet for some, an iPad note for others) it always feels great. Congrats on your progress!

On 12/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Here's my most desired books to get in 2020:

1) Amazing Spider-Man #13 (CGC mid-grade) - I need to replace the CGC 7.0 I sold for $2300 in June
2) Avengers #8 (CGC 6.0 or higher)
3) X-Men #2 (CGC 6.0 or higher) - trying to complete an X-Men #1 - #20 run in CGC 6.0 or above
4) X-Men #6 (CGC 6.0 or higher) - see above
5) X-Men #10 (CGC 6.0 or higher - see above
6) Justice League of America #21 - #22 (CGC 7.5 or higher)
7) Tales of Suspense #57 (CGC 4.5 - 6.0)

Also, as someone mentioned above, another goal is to spend LESS money. I went way overboard in 2019.

Joe

Got another book off my list, X-Men #2 CGC 6.0, thanks to @AustinReece_GRRC!

Now, since I have gotten three books off my list, I'll keep looking for ASM #13, X-Men #6, JLA #21-#22, and ToS #57. I will add these additional issues: Black Knight (Atlas) #3 and #5, and reader copies of BatB #2 - #24. Both of these will be tough, but that's what makes it so enjoyable!

Joe

I started collecting last March and at first I was just buying anything, this year I'm trying to narrow my focus and am trying to be more disciplined with my buys. Seems like a common trend lol. I started breaking into the Golden Age recently so I am hoping to continue expanding that. 

4 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Touch and go as always... e.g., just picked up an Absolute Carnage #1 OA page feat. Venom and Spidey for a good price.  Smaller pickups are fun, too, but gotta have rhyme and reason.

i love that Frazetta piece in your sigline.(worship)

if you are ever selling.....:idea:

32 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

It may be a million years, Oakman, but to you first my friend...!

(worship):foryou:

Look its a bilaterally symmetrical piece-cut in half, give Oakman one.  Win-win.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

1) Amazing Spider-Man #13 (CGC mid-grade) - I need to replace the CGC 7.0 I sold for $2300 in June
3) X-Men #2 (CGC 6.0 or higher) - trying to complete an X-Men #1 - #20 run in CGC 6.0 or above

Also, as someone mentioned above, another goal is to spend LESS money. I went way overboard in 2019.

Struck another off my wish list, X-Men #6 CGC 6.5 from eBay. Now, I just need X-Men #7, #13, #15 - #17 in CGC 6.0 or better to have a CGC 6.0 or better run of X-Men #2 - #17 (my #1 is a 3.0 - upgrade at some point?)

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

On 2/1/2020 at 5:27 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Struck another off my wish list, X-Men #6 CGC 6.5 from eBay. Now, I just need X-Men #7, #13, #15 - #17 in CGC 6.0 or better to have a CGC 6.0 or better run of X-Men #2 - #17 (my #1 is a 3.0 - upgrade at some point?)

On 1/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Crossed off two more on my list. Headed to C2E2 at the end of February. Saving my money for some upgrades (ASM #15, ASM Annual #1, The Atom #1, The Brave and the Bold #34, Daredevil #2, Fantastic Four #48, Hawkman #1, Showcase #34, Strange Tales #110). Obviously, I won't be able to get them all, but I hope to get a few off my list.

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

On 12/16/2019 at 9:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've got a lot of collected edition goals:

1. All Batman Absolute Editions.
  2. Crisis on Infinite Earths Box Set.
  3. Death of Superman Omnibus.
  4. Hellboy Library.
  5. PS Artbooks Harvey Horrors.
  6. All Pre-Code Classics PCH.
  7. Standard Manufacturing M1911.
  8. Sig Sauer M17.
  9. All 6 Infinity Gauntlet CGC SS.
  10. Get my Infinity series all signed.

I've actually decided to abandon #2 and #4. Scratched 2 others off the list.