• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your collecting goals for 2020?
5 5

180 posts in this topic

My goals eh. Well, I do this on other threads so why not here?

1. Get a book CGC graded! Crazy that I am on here and do not have a book in my collection that is graded. I have owned several CGC books but promptly sold them for money for more comics. I have an opportunity to send in a book to be signed by John Romita, so I am going to send in two. One will have three sigs on it when done (and be left raw) and the second I have to figure out which issue to send. Exciting times going through my older ASM books (oh and it will def be an ASM book)!

2. Purchase ASM 50 or 129. Still need a mid grade copy of each within affordability. Heck even a solid lower grade would suffice. Has eluded me for the price for a couple years now.

3. Complete some runs. I am close to the Marvel Feature run from the 70s featuring Red Sonja. Same with her solo series from the 70's. I also want to complete some other oddball titles like Black Goliath, Champions, Inhumans and Supernatural Thrillers from the 70s. 

Edited by comicginger1789

18 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

It's a long shot but, by the end of next year I would like to get an AF#15.  

Go for it! I often consider selling off everything I currently have and sinking into one great book like that. It's tempting.

hmmm.. for 2020 I want to finish some filler to complete my ASM 1-300 run... and save for a big grail mid or low grade but looking at X-men 1 or AF15 or maybe both.. but since I started to work on a X-men run and FF run might focus on those but might need to scale back the buying... spent a lot this year on many books.... 

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

My only real goal is to cut my collection way back from a volume/space perspecitve. I sold a lot this year, but I'd like to get at least 10-15 more short boxes outta here, we'll see how it goes. I don't have many buying goals, I just like to take stuff as it comes. I've found that chasing specific books hasn't been as rewarding as seeing what I can dig up locally via Facebook, Craigslist, the comic shop, etc. When you can find pretty much whatever you want on ebay and via auction houses, it takes the fun out of the hunt, so restricting myself to digging locally is a challenge that I enjoy. I'd like to get a good amount of money together for the GI Joe con this summer (we're setting up a table there as well) so I can walk in and buy whatever I want. But as for comics, I guess maybe more bronze X-men to finish out my run (for the second time in my life, since I stupidly sold the first collection), and I've also considered selling off the last 30 years or so of Batman floppies and buying some key Bat slabs with the money.

yeah I buy a lot of my bigger books locally as well.. I find it a bit more rewarding or thrilling wheeling and dealing in person and locally.. also helps for shipping and taxes, etc... being in Canada..

9 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah I buy a lot of my bigger books locally as well.. I find it a bit more rewarding or thrilling wheeling and dealing in person and locally.. also helps for shipping and taxes, etc... being in Canada..

Oh wow, yeah, I'd imagine shipping, customs etc is a huge hassle and potential deal killer.

Yeah, you know, digging around locally gives me that thrill that I had when I was a kid, before we had the internet, when the only way you had to find new books was to go to shops when you were traveling out of town, or look in the bargain mart, etc. You couldn't just jump on mycomicshop and order up that one issue you needed to complete your run. It was a hunt, and that was fun. THere is still bargain hunting to be done on eBay, but it's just not as satisfying to me. So I think my goal this year is to keep cash on hand and just dig through local listings and see what turns up. I did really well with it the last couple of years, so I think I'll just keep going down that road rather than seeking out specific books. I'll just take what comes my way.

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Oh wow, yeah, I'd imagine shipping, customs etc is a huge hassle and potential deal killer.

Yeah, you know, digging around locally gives me that thrill that I had when I was a kid, before we had the internet, when the only way you had to find new books was to go to shops when you were traveling out of town, or look in the bargain mart, etc. You couldn't just jump on mycomicshop and order up that one issue you needed to complete your run. It was a hunt, and that was fun. THere is still bargain hunting to be done on eBay, but it's just not as satisfying to me. So I think my goal this year is to keep cash on hand and just dig through local listings and see what turns up. I did really well with it the last couple of years, so I think I'll just keep going down that road rather than seeking out specific books. I'll just take what comes my way.

I do the same thing as well.. I always keep some cash on hand as a general rule of thumb when travelling and if I come across some comics or take a look see if there's anything good and pick them up but would go to the boxes that would have stuff pertaining to my personal collection and then look at the rest if time permits.. lol 

Currently committed myself to collecting the entire ASM series, have all issues over 700. I have 44% of the entire run so far (oldest being issue 14, first Green Goblin), so I aim to get to 65% of the entire run for my goal. Expensive, but to me worth it!

Edited by BigDaddy1

5 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I feel your pain.Deeply.Why I'm looking at more Edition Heritage rarities.Almost always in Loon,twoon prices and from Quebec/Montreal area.Helps a bunch.

If you ever get a chance,you're in GTA?Check out the Kitchener comics wharehouse,Wes is a great dude and the rest of the staff,and Guardian Comics plus Iceman399 on here are close to you too and great,great guys,Eric and Jim both.

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Go for it! I often consider selling off everything I currently have and sinking into one great book like that. It's tempting.

I have dreams of turning about twenty long into a half dozen prizes-alas,I'm a lazy bahookie hoarder lol 

32 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I feel your pain.Deeply.Why I'm looking at more Edition Heritage rarities.Almost always in Loon,twoon prices and from Quebec/Montreal area.Helps a bunch.

If you ever get a chance,you're in GTA?Check out the Kitchener comics wharehouse,Wes is a great dude and the rest of the staff,and Guardian Comics plus Iceman399 on here are close to you too and great,great guys,Eric and Jim both.

yeah I picked up a few of my Early ASM's from them, great guys. I might check out the Kitchener comics warehouse though is that the comic and games place on University ave near Laurier? As I remember there was a comic/hobby place Highway 8 and university... not sure if its still there I usually just go to St. Jacobs once in awhile in the summer..

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

yeah I picked up a few of my Early ASM's from them, great guys. I might check out the Kitchener comics warehouse though is that the comic and games place on University ave near Laurier? As I remember there was a comic/hobby place Highway 8 and university... not sure if its still there I usually just go to St. Jacobs once in awhile in the summer..

I'm not sure on the exact location,I know them from seeing them set up for years here.They are on fb as Kitchener Comics Wharehouse of Love.The boards won't let me link it.But manoman,the stuff I've pulled from the boxes there over the years...glorious.I don't travel too well these days lol besides dog walking.

2 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

giphy.gif

Me hoping its you with an update every time there is a new post on the turnaround thread lol

lol I thought you were waiting for my update, since mine were received at CGC on 11/8/19

Just because it might be me, ...... I called today, "the customer rep" said mine were at "SFG", but it hasn't updated on "my tracking yet"...... when it does I'll update the Current TAT thread :foryou: