• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants and how to tell which one you own?

5 posts in this topic

I now have one new batman knightfall comic and one new detective comic feat batman and they both have variants, i cant tell which variant i have and was wondering can anybody help me out? I was trying to load them into CBR database to add to my collection and they're not much help with this as no pointers? Sorry in advance if its a dumb topic. 🤭

Detective comics Issues 658 & 660

Scan_20191216.jpg

Scan_20191216 (8).jpg

Neither of these have any variants.

Detective Comics #658 has a 2nd printing.

Detective Comics #660 has 2nd and 3rd printings.

A subsequent printing in this era would have a roman numeral of its edition under the price. I.e. "II" for 2nd or "III" for 3rd.

These are both first printings.

4 minutes ago, Liza761 said:

(thumbsuthanks very clear to understand cheers :bigsmile:

I should clarify that those printing indicators (roman numerals) are specifically for DC Comics of that era. I'm sure that Marvel Comics and other printers use different methods.

If you want to know about how many/which variants there are of a comic book, MyComicShop is a good tool. If you type in the issue you're looking for in their search function, they usually list all of the variants - whether or not they're in-stock.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Neither of these have any variants.

Detective Comics #658 has a 2nd printing.

Detective Comics #660 has 2nd and 3rd printings.

A subsequent printing in this era would have a roman numeral of its edition under the price. I.e. "II" for 2nd or "III" for 3rd.

These are both first printings.

Hey, cool I learnt something about variants... great info. (thumbsu