• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #1 with water damage

12 posts in this topic

So I feel a bit bummed about this purchase from about 4 or 5 yrs ago. It's my own fault really. But I'm feeling like I got swindled in a trade up deal I made at my local Fan Expo. Some of my fav books over the years I've tried to trade up several times for better copies. Avengers #1 is one of those books. My last copy with was a CGC 5.0 OW. I recalled coming across a 6.0 graded copy and I made a trade offer. I believe the deal was trading them my copy plus another $750-$900US on top (can't remember exactly how much). Now I have to state an important detail that the book was a CBCS book. But at this time of investing I wasn't prejudice about either grading company and owned quite a few slabs from both (no PGX though! lol). 

At that moment, I was more overwhelmed with excitement than anything else. Took a quick look at the book (not in too much detail) just cared about the grade while overlooking one massive flaw. There was significant water damage on back cover of the book's top corner and more along the spine which seeped into the staple and caused some other funky things there. I've always wanted to attempt to upgrade the book again but with this being the over water damaged book I own I never researched anything on how it affects both grade and values. I pretty shocked firstly that this book even attained a 6.0 for the amount of visible water damage it has considering I've read stories of books being dropped from potential 9.8's to 7.0's for water damage. I haven't heard of many achieving much higher grades at least from CGC.

I'm definitely feeling like I gave away a nice chunk of money and the better book for one that I really have no idea what to do with now. Last year I wanted to press it and potentially send it to CGC for the cool Avengers label. My local presser urged me not to crack it because I'm lucky the book got the grade it did. I also feel like my chances of selling it to upgrade to another better copy are pretty much out the window. I don't even want to know what CGC might grade this book if I ever did decide to send it to them but I know it definitely wouldn't be higher than my old CGC 5.0. Definitely a huge rookie mistake here that cost me a big chunk of cash and a great book. PSA to anyone that doesn't know about water damage on books, do your research!

What do you guys think CGC could potentially give this one on a grade? I've learned a ton of factors play into this so even a range would be appreciated.

Grader's notes on it are as follows:

Lots of staining to spine. Many cover stains that are only visible from interior. Staple rust. Many marvel tears right front cover. Creases top right front cover corner breaks color & barely breaks color. Spine stress breaks color. Small tear with 1" crease bottom left front cover. 

20191216_112822.jpg

20191216_110614.jpg

20191216_083753_resized.jpg

20191216_083744_resized.jpg

I appreciate the feedback everyone. It was a bit hard to get a clean pic of this one for some reason. The lighting in my place is horrible on dark days but the book's back cover color is more in line with the 3rd and 4th pictures. So far it sounds like I'm best leaving the book as is and clearly I tossed away about $1000 for a worse copy.  

Sorry for your loss, that has to suck. I think the rusty staples may get worse and migrate to the cover and interior so a pro cleaning might actually be worth the time and money to keep it from further deterioration 

17 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Sorry for your loss, that has to suck. I think the rusty staples may get worse and migrate to the cover and interior so a pro cleaning might actually be worth the time and money to keep it from further deterioration 

yeah but cleaned staples I believe get a purple label or maybe conserved grade. 

As for grade I would give it a 5.0 ouch on the rusty staples though and staining. 

image.png.9ab40cabcd80ce8081f6c673b435a688.png

I would check out those spots and make sure its not mold... 

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

yeah but cleaned staples I believe get a purple label or maybe conserved grade. 

If it’s evident like when done with dryer sheets which will leave abrasions on the metal. There’s more than one way to skin a cat ;)

12 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

If it’s evident like when done with dryer sheets which will leave abrasions on the metal. There’s more than one way to skin a cat ;)

hm ok. I would expect that CGC would be able to catch most staple cleans but I am sure there are maybe a few that get past not sure.. and dont know much about that.