• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee signing event ECC questions

5 posts in this topic

Hi!  This is my first time trying to do this at a comic con so bear with me as I ask newbie questions.  I got the Jim Lee CGC fan experience package for the Emerald City Comic Con in March of 2020.  It included 3 CGC witnessed signatures on items.  So my thought was to buy a CGC 9.9 or 9.8 Jim Lee book, and see if CGC would open it it.  Get the signature, then have them CGC it again with the signature.  Is that a thing or is that just nonsense and I have no idea what I'm doing.  If I can't it's no big deal, I'll get other books to get signed, just curious if that was a thing or not.

Thanks in advance!

-Blake

13 hours ago, blakegolliher said:

Hi!  This is my first time trying to do this at a comic con so bear with me as I ask newbie questions.  I got the Jim Lee CGC fan experience package for the Emerald City Comic Con in March of 2020.  It included 3 CGC witnessed signatures on items.  So my thought was to buy a CGC 9.9 or 9.8 Jim Lee book, and see if CGC would open it it.  Get the signature, then have them CGC it again with the signature.  Is that a thing or is that just nonsense and I have no idea what I'm doing.  If I can't it's no big deal, I'll get other books to get signed, just curious if that was a thing or not.

Thanks in advance!

-Blake

I would recommend not cracking open a CGC 9.9.  However cracking open a blue label and getting a witnessed signature for a gold label SS series is pretty normal.  It's all about being very careful when handling the book in both cracking to slab and handling it when getting the signature.   I am embarrassed about a few books that dropped in grade after clumsily dropping them on line.

I will also note that in certain instances it may be cheaper to find a raw book and submit it for pressing, but, of course, buying the already slabbed and graded book is less of a gamble on the outcome of the grade.

13 minutes ago, blakegolliher said:

Is it expected that I break it out of the slab or do they do it at the show or what?  I'm just not sure what to expect.  I see what you are saying about 9.8 or not slabbed books, just curious if this is done what are the logistics of it.  

They will do it for you at the show, but be warned at a bigger con like Emerald City, they tend to get busy and there is usually a line and things move slowly.  So I suggest getting there early.  You will have to sign a release when you ask them to crack your book for you.  They do not guarantee that the grade will remain the same when it is re-graded for signature series.

You can also crack the book yourself, but if you've never done it before I wouldn't recommend it as it can be tricky and you risk damaging your book.  

The newer style CGC cases may seem scary to open at first, but one of the facilitators on this board has made a pretty good video on how to do it. (If it's an older style case, then it would be even easier.) Cracking open your own blue labels will save you a ton of time.