• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are people posting big wins on CAF?
3 3

123 posts in this topic

A friend of mine commented a few months ago that he could see less and less high end pieces being posted on CAF.  At the beginning I shrugged it off as not proven. Then  I started to pay attention, and indeed very few of the big pieces going thorugh auction are resurfacing on CAF.  Now we all know that a big part of collectors do not post all of their collection on CAF, but is there a trend here?  As pieces become more valuable, are people getting more nervous to show them off (either for security reasons or to protect resale value)?

I’m torn. I really believe in sharing with the CAF community my art. I want them to do the same. Everyday you find new surprises or revisit old friends.

I get the “why I don’t crowd.”

Keep it fresh. I thought of this when one of our members  on CAF insisted he was so tired of seeing the Wrightson Frankenstein ($1,000,000) so much over the years that he was sick of it.

Trying not to attract theft. Yeah a lot of bad actors/

That being said CAF won’t be the same Awesome gallery if the majority of collectors hide their best art work.

So I appeal to those who dare to post post post.

I can’t speak to the problems of publicly sharing a world class collection, but I have a bunch of smaller pieces (especially by comparison) that I don’t even bother posting on CAF because no one bat’s an eye. If it’s not $20k it’s “whatever” to others. Very little CAF users leave comments...not even for support. There’s not even a spirit of reciprocity. So what’s the real incentive of sharing? So you can get unsolicited offers with “what do you think is a *fair* price?” It seems to me that collectors want to track where the art lands so they can hound them later. :sumo:

I post everything I have on CAF.  Sometimes I've regretted a few things that I got tempted into parting with, but as I prefer to share have learned to live with past mistakes.

Within three minutes of posting my recently acquired Ditko ASM splash I had a PM from someone wanting me to sell it to him.  This is despite a NFS description and a lengthy write-up talking about how happy I was to have landed the art.  I ended-up revising the NFS status to something worded a little stronger.

1 minute ago, J.Sid said:

Another factor: Facebook. People post a lot of stuff there that doesn't make it to CAF. 

Go figure, people in 2020 want to look at things on their phones.

I LOVE Facebook for this.

Especially the two main groups....one is JUST for showing off your stuff, nothing bought or sold there, and one just for selling and buying stuff.

Really great when the same piece shows up on both, at the same time, and with a glowing description about how thrilled the person is to add it to his/her collection in one and "priced to move" in the other. 

24 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

This.

I do that too but I only have 10%-20% publicly viewable.   I bet lots of others do the same.   Use it to catalog the art but only make selections viewable 

Edited by Bronty

Big pieces are still posted but relegated to page 15 of Sort New after minutes due to the incessant wave of poorly drawn soft core pr0n people feel the need to share everyday.

I post some things but mostly to let people know I am collecting in that area.

Aesthetically I am more and more drawn to 2dgalleries, if I am being honest.

Also, what percent of CAF art is actually comic-related? Sure it is still the majority but I know I use it to post vaguely related things - movie poster art, animation art, gaming art, fantasy/sci-fi/imaginative realism... I wish there was an active venue for these pieces that wasn't Facebook. 

In many ways this is why I continue to follow vintage toy collecting groups, in particular vintage Star War toys which I haven't collected in years. There is a strong community there and its fun to be actively engaged in some way. I feel the same way about these groups as well since I am not super active in the comic world either. 

Edited by cstojano