• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are people posting big wins on CAF?
3 3

123 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

"tell me my piece isn’t that great but you’ll take it off my hands at your lowball price. I’m not selling and I think my art is great or else I wouldn’t have posted it."

These are the ones I find most annoying and were the straw that broke the camel's back.  Having someone say "You have several other examples of the character and this one is not that great.  the only reason I am interested in it is for nostalgia and I'm not even sure I want it but if the price were right I would take it"

Drek.thumb.jpg.7ddd1af2a884d1adf490082e21037697.jpg

12 hours ago, batman_fan said:

"tell me my piece isn’t that great but you’ll take it off my hands at your lowball price. I’m not selling and I think my art is great or else I wouldn’t have posted it."

These are the ones I find most annoying and were the straw that broke the camel's back.  Having someone say "You have several other examples of the character and this one is not that great.  the only reason I am interested in it is for nostalgia and I'm not even sure I want it but if the price were right I would take it"

Dear P-Nutz,

•I was scrolling through the various Schulz daily strips you have. I’d like to make you an offer on what I consider the weakest of your collection.

•You have Schroeder playing the piano but only Lucy is listening. You have Snoopy dancing in every panel but where’s the doghouse? And the Red Baron? Then you have Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown in the final panel but you can’t see the zig zag on his yellow shirt cuz he’s flying upside down after missing the ball.

•Even with all of those letdowns it is still a Schulz. I can check it off my list even if I probably won’t even bother to frame and display it. So I’d like to offer you (fill in low ball offer here) for it. I think it’s more than fair and no one else will offer you as much considering all the deficiencies I have pointed out to you.

Let me know,

Clueless.

Edited by grapeape

18 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Dear P-Nutz,

•I was scrolling through the various Schulz daily strips you have. I’d like to make you an offer on what I consider the weakest of your collection.

•You have Schroeder playing the piano but only Lucy is listening. You have Snoopy dancing in every panel but where’s the doghouse? And the Red Baron? Then you have Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown in the final panel but you can’t see the zig zag on his yellow shirt cuz he’s flying upside down after missing the ball.

•Even with all of those letdowns it is still a Schulz. I can check it off my list even if I probably won’t even bother to frame and display it. So I’d like to offer you (fill in low ball offer here) for it. I think it’s more than fair and no one else will offer you as much considering all the deficiencies I have pointed out to you.

Let me know,

Clueless.

Sold !

I can’t resist such a smooth sales pitch.

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Dear P-Nutz,

Let me know,

Clueless.

Tell me that's sarcasm and you didn't really receive an email that said that. I know there are some spoons out there, but this can't possibly be real, can it?

1 hour ago, Weird Paper said:

Tell me that's sarcasm and you didn't really receive an email that said that. I know there are some spoons out there, but this can't possibly be real, can it?

:devil:
No that’s a “real”email written in the manner of a “real” offer from a spoon and “expert” on Peanuts art. He had his own auction on eBay for a Charles SHULTS SNOAPIE drawn in the manner of his creator SHULTZ. It had a COA so....that’s probably why he was an expert in telling P-Nutz why his daily sucked.

(:

Edited by grapeape

4 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

:nyah: The names changed to implicate another board member. But it is the spirit in which many of us have been approached by unsolicited offers.

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

I’m with you on that. Look I really believe CAF is the chance to be the curator of your own art gallery. What I put up is meant for my own pleasure first and foremost.

I am aware of the community also. I hope they like what I present. I lose zero winks at night if they don’t put 50 comments on a newly added beauty.

Im fine with all communication. I welcome it in my home page. I love talking about art. I love the artists. I love the stories of triumph and empathize with the dregs of defeat.

So naturally limiting conversation in any form to me preempts what might be an intriguing discovery. I always have control to address bad behavior or insist on a level of conversation that empowers myself and the person I’m communicating with.

ultimately I can stop responding.

I can also be mature and stop inquiring of someone who is not interested.

I have suffered insulting offers and market data FMV tutorials...all unsolicited mind you. However the majority of my interactions have been outstanding. Rewarding even.

If I can share a few pet peeves.

1) Disproportionate views to comments.

I don’t care about a total number of positive comments. I’m just saying if 1290 people looked at a Kirby action page but only 3 people left a comment, what the heck is suppressing their chance to say “wow”with just a few words?

2) Responding to every comment in a way (REPLY) that bumps your CAF comments total up. Most comments left should be appreciated but only a very few are thoughtful enough to require a reply on the actual comment page.

Im thinking of Foggy who always leaves the comment “baller,” on pieces he likes. I love that guy but no need to bump my comment total but replying “right back at ya Foggy.”

Full disclosure a few times I got carried away with the reply button but mostly I want to hear from the visitors to Le Museum de Grape Ape.

I'm not bothered by that so much as I an curious about it. As a general rule, T&A illustrations get a lot of views to relatively few comments (I know there are exceptions to this). For many years, the second-most viewed piece in my CAF had over 5000 views and no comments (it now has two) and it is as far from risqué as you can get. In the old days, (certain unnamed) collectors would set up programs to just rack up views. Thousands of them. Why, I don't know. Maybe there was a sense that a large view count would make it desirable for resale? 
I think it would be an improvement, albeit minor, if Bill's programmers could make it such that owner comments would not count toward the total, because sometimes it would be nice to respond, but I don't because I don't want to artificially inflate the comment count.
Definitely first-world problems, though.
What's your gallery under, Grapeape?

On 12/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, vodou said:

It doesn't on private property or temporarily rented property. That's property rights 101 (and a big part of why yelling "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater is a no-no, whether there's an actual fire or not!)

CAF is Bill's site -wholly owned, where paying for Premium Member gets you nothing other than additional features/access, you don't "own" (or even "rent" for 12 months) shares in the site, etc. Bill's site = Bill's private property. With this in mind, what Bill allows to occur on/in his private property is what Bill allows, where -in part allows = worth the effort/expense/risk of policing more vigilantly.

I agree with many above that I don't care for the amateurish art on CAF.   I had suggested to Bill that he add a feature like facebook, where you can hide posts from certain posters who you do not want to follow.  I think with the elimination of just a few of these posters, it would clear up the feed a lot and just see published comic art or comic art just by published artists.  

About 15 years ago I had suggested to Bill that he make all of the new art visible with thumbnails so you didn't have to click on every title to see posted art.  At the time he rejected this idea, but today we have that feature, which saves so much time.

I post most of what I have to CAF, especially if it has been seen by the public and been on ebay, CAF or auction.  I figure they are already on the internet somewhere searchable by google images, so no need to hide it.  It has helped me buy art, as I do have credibility that I think someone who doesn't post won't have.

Someone recently made an offer on one of my pieces, and I would be inclined to negotiate, but he had no art in his galleries so I didn't even finish the conversation.

I will also say that most of the great art I have bought in the last two years were art listed as NFS.  One of the great pieces of art that I wanted to buy was sold out of a CAF gallery that was listed as NFS.  I asked the original owner about this and he said someone made an incredible offer so I was sad.  So now even when it says NFS I inquire with a solid above market offer.  Sometimes people say yes and some say no.  

There was a terrific piece by a well known artist I wanted but I heard the owner talk about how this was a great piece he remembers from childhood and he keeps it on the wall in his house and he loves looking at it.  It was on CAF as NFS.   I write to the nice guy and made a good offer as the comps.  He said he didn't want to sell it for that price.  He doesn't need the money (but he didn't say that).  I didn't want to pay more, not that I couldn't but I didn't value it as much.  Maybe six months later the piece is on Heritage.  I forgot to bid but I don't know if I wanted it for what it went for.  

37 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

I think it would be an improvement, albeit minor, if Bill's programmers could make it such that owner comments would not count toward the total, because sometimes it would be nice to respond, but I don't because I don't want to artificially inflate the comment count.

+1

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

Re: Unsolicited Offers
If I'm not interested in selling, I ask them to leave a comment on the piece saying that they are interested and I'll give them first shot when it's time to sell. Some do it, some don't.

That is a great idea!  I tend to lose track of interested buyers.

This gives them a chance to note their interest for posterity.

David S. Albright

2 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

I'm not bothered by that so much as I an curious about it. As a general rule, T&A illustrations get a lot of views to relatively few comments (I know there are exceptions to this). For many years, the second-most viewed piece in my CAF had over 5000 views and no comments (it now has two) and it is as far from risqué as you can get. In the old days, (certain unnamed) collectors would set up programs to just rack up views. Thousands of them. Why, I don't know. Maybe there was a sense that a large view count would make it desirable for resale? 
Definitely first-world problems, though.
What's your gallery under, Grapeape?

I sometimes repeatedly look at the same CAF post on various days. Does that count as more than one view?

The reason I do it is because: (a) I really like it, or (b) sometimes, it is no longer listed as NSF, but the status has gone to blank, or something like "please inquire." I don't ask about NSF pieces, as a rule, because there is so much out there, and more keeps coming, that there is little reason to do so. In fact, there is only one exception I have made, and I have never heard back. Oh, well.

5 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

As a general rule, T&A illustrations get a lot of views to relatively few comments.

Maybe they're using there hands for other things besides typing comments?

Sorry . . . lousy English sense of humour.  :devil:

Edited by The Voord

7 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Re: Unsolicited Offers
If I'm not interested in selling, I ask them to leave a comment on the piece saying that they are interested and I'll give them first shot when it's time to sell. Some do it, some don't.

5 hours ago, aokartman said:

That is a great idea!  I tend to lose track of interested buyers.

This gives them a chance to note their interest for posterity.

David S. Albright

I've done this!

Still waiting :whatev:

7 hours ago, Peter L said:

I forgot to mention that I also post at CAF because I have this fear that in the future, perhaps after I die, then the art I have will be sold.  But then if has never been seen before, there could be questions about its authenticity.  

That’s an excellent point. Especially if you are leaving the art to your family. It’s also a record of your ownership. God forbid art is stolen or lost you have a one stop record of what you had. 
The description section is a wonderful way to establish a provenance trail. You can use it not just to entertain but to describe how you got a piece, from whom etc.