• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are people posting big wins on CAF?
3 3

123 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, grapeape said:

but to describe how you got a piece, from whom etc.

Ha ha, oh this is a level of transparency very few want known or to make known.

I am not one of them and regularly report prices (paid and received) and who my counter-party was when discussing art in the pages of CFA-APA.

7 minutes ago, vodou said:

Ha ha, oh this is a level of transparency very few want known or to make known.

I am not one of them and regularly report prices (paid and received) and who my counter-party was when discussing art in the pages of CFA-APA.

Oh I know what you mean. The usual suspects slowly unveil their treasures in a veil of secrecy. I’m sure people have their reasons B| I like to share as much information as I can.

On 12/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, grapeape said:

So why do this? Isn’t NFS clear enough? I’m sorry my friends NFS should never stop a polite inquiry. I learned that lesson the hard way. Many years back I saw my grail. NFS. So I didn’t bother asking.

Followed your suggestion; and for the first time, received a positive response. Unfortunately, the response made it clear that I would have to blow him away with an offer, and given the market price, I am not prepared to offer a multiple of it (at least not right now). But, I plan to thank him for his response, tell him I like the piece but can't blow him away with an offer, and ask him to keep me in mind if he does decide to sell it because I am optimistic about the future. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Followed your suggestion; and for the first time, received a positive response. Unfortunately, the response made it clear that I would have to blow him away with an offer, and given the market price, I am not prepared to offer a multiple of it (at least not right now). But, I plan to thank him for his response, tell him I like the piece but can't blow him away with an offer, and ask him to keep me in mind if he does decide to sell it because I am optimistic about the future. 

Excellent 

One thing I do no matter how absurd a dollar amount is thrown at me is not to attack the owner of the piece I want for “extorting” me. I always remember I’m the one approaching the NFS. I have to be flexible, respectful and patient. At the end of this the prize.....I hope to obtain.

Its much more effective to say something like, I understand why you’d value your art so highly. I want it. I’m just not “able” to pay that right now.

Something like that keeps the lines of communication open. It is very possible that if finances or personal reasons change for that owner

1) they may come back to you with a more reasonable amount at a later time.2) the next time you approach them with a fair counteroffer.

I get turned down a lot. However you lose nothing and when you finally make a deal it puts you on top of the world.

Edited by grapeape

Thanks for posting that story along with the piece. That was a fascinating read. Especially as someone that’s never followed the messiness if hero books and who worked with who on what before they were booted or replaced by someone else, etc.

What a web to untangle.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I can only speak for myself, but as a collector, first and foremost, an offer near market is almost never going to pry a piece away from my collection. Certain things I would not let go of for 10x market, but almost anything that I like enough to have pursued and acquired would not leave my hands easily.

7 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

I can only speak for myself, but as a collector, first and foremost, an offer near market is almost never going to pry a piece away from my collection. Certain things I would not let go of for 10x market, but almost anything that I like enough to have pursued and acquired would not leave my hands easily.

100% agree. For the most part, I'm not sure what an offer would have to be to get me to part with my art at this stage of my life (full time job, few dependants), but I'm sure it would be so high that it would never be met.

[Not that there's a huge demand for S&S #100 faux covers or commissions featuring people arm wrestling. :) ]

Edited by alxjhnsn

4 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Understood, even as I was sending the email. But, he may change his mind later, and then, I may be remembered. Perhaps, on different day, I may have caught him in the right moment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

4 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

100% agree. For the most part, I'm not sure what an offer would have to be to get me to part with my art at this stage of my life (full time job, few dependants), but I'm sure it would be so high that it would never be met.

[Not that there's a huge demand for S&S #100 faux covers or commissions featuring people arm wrestling. :) ]

Not sure if you noticed, but there was some original art for sale recently in which tryouts for an S&S daily were being offered.

5 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I don't know. On your latest S&S # 100 done by another SS (Scott Shaw!) the usage of Kirby Krackle is pretty cool. 

35 minutes ago, Peter L said:

Almost all of the art in my CAF is listed as NFS because I thought I would never sell anything.  But now that I have run out of room, and don't have a wonderful basement like Jeff S's in that Star article, I absolutely would sell a bunch of stuff for the right offer.  

You should include the link to your CAF. :)