• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green and Blue labels for the same "defect"?

18 posts in this topic

Curious how the Superman/Batman 4, German Variant can have a Blue OR a Green label. All 499 books have the hand written number on the back. I tried to get an answer out of Kateeja at CGC customer service, but he either doesn't understand me, or doesn't have an answer. 

Below is an example of a blue and green book. IMG_1523.thumb.PNG.db29a18c9fcbf6787fcfb55e5f598d3c.PNGIMG_1522.thumb.PNG.3d557dc2c8dfbbe32edeface9c485477.PNG

Did you send these books in for grading or were they purchased this way?

Who wrote the #'s on the back cover?

My understanding is that if it is not a manufactured printed number by the publisher or CGC was not there to witness the books being numbered by whomever, that it is graded as having a defect and could go either way, Green or Blue.

I do not have my books graded, however, I would assume either the two graders saw things differently or the 9.8 book was given a Green Label upon request to keep the book at a 9.8.

Did you also notice the title of the book is different on the two labels?

Edited by marvelmaniac

Thank you for that info... They were all hand numbered before going out, by the publisher. Neither of the books are mine, but mine is a green label too. Here is another blue label, this one doesn't even have the "defect" noted. Bottom is my copy, it's a printers proof, that's why it says "PP 20/50".

IMG_1526.thumb.PNG.062644bf809b2136645fb756ccfe9d6e.PNG

IMG_1527.thumb.PNG.d4d0cc5177f53c797cd2441160e5a83a.PNG

IMG_1528.thumb.PNG.2d7bef8082cc9a5c46527c23b3ccb1c6.PNG

Edited by manofsteel

If the writing will effect grade, they automatically use green label (as in, the 9.8 wouldn't be a 9.8 with the writing), but if the writing doesn't effect grade they use blue label (as in, the 9.4 would be a 9.4 regardless of writing or not due to other defects keeping it down). Essentially, by default they use the label that will yield the highest grade, unless requested otherwise by the submitter, in these circumstances.

Edit: Just saw the 9.8 blue label. With that example included, heck if I know man... Maybe it was a 10 without the writing? (shrug) Or maybe I'm just wrong? The info above is how silver/gold turtlemania specials are treated, which also have non-verified writing that is KNOWN to be authentic from the manufacturing process... 

Edited by Callaway29

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

If the writing will effect grade, they automatically use green label (as in, the 9.8 wouldn't be a 9.8 with the writing), but if the writing doesn't effect grade they use blue label (as in, the 9.4 would be a 9.4 regardless of writing or not due to other defects keeping it down). Essentially, by default they use the label that will yield the highest grade, unless requested otherwise by the submitter, in these circumstances.

Edit: Just saw the 9.8 blue label. With that example included, heck if I know man... Maybe it was a 10 without the writing? (shrug) Or maybe I'm just wrong? The info above is how silver/gold turtlemania specials are treated, which also have non-verified writing that is KNOWN to be authentic from the manufacturing process... 

It's also possible that CGC made a mistake...

7 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Since CGC does not publish any of their grading standards/criteria we are all left to guess why they do what they do.

IMO, since nobody can tell me differently, they must make up the rules as they go along.

I think you're correct, they make up the rules as they go along. 

1 hour ago, manofsteel said:

Could be, but there are 21 Universal labels on the census. 

I'm referring to the title and publisher error on the label, as well as the inconsistency between the book being graded both Qualified and Universal...

Edited by The Lions Den

17 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm referring to the title and publisher error on the label, as well as the inconsistency between the book being graded both Qualified and Universal...

Right, I'm agreeing they may have made a mistake with the labels.

Stinks I can't get an actual answer from CGC. 

14 hours ago, manofsteel said:

Right, I'm agreeing they may have made a mistake with the labels.

Stinks I can't get an actual answer from CGC. 

I looked up both titles on the census, and it would appear there are at least five copies of this book that went out with the wrong title on the label.

I'm not blaming anyone, because even the best QC person in the world wouldn't likely catch this. 

But where it gets really interesting is when you look at the number of these books that've been certified both Universal and Qualified,  and the examples you've shown illustrate how even those copies differ...   (shrug)

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I looked up both titles on the census, and it would appear there are at least five copies of this book that went out with the wrong title on the label.

I'm not blaming anyone, because even the best QC person in the world wouldn't likely catch this. 

But where it gets really interesting is when you look at the number of these books that've been certified both Universal and Qualified,  and the examples you've shown illustrate how even those copies differ...   (shrug)

There are 98 copies entered as Superman/Batman #4 - DC Comics - German Edition, rather than the correct Batman/Superman #4 - Panini - German Edition, which they started using in May of this year. But they added another improperly labeled (Q) copy this month. :facepalm:

CGC used to be terrible at properly identifying and labeling foreign comics. Now they're just really bad.

The inconsistency between Universal and Qualified grades is something else and is just baffling.

Lion and Lazy, I don't know if I'm reading your posts wrong, but is there a way to see the titles on the labels of all the books graded? I would like to see if there are other "PP XX/50" copies out there, as mine is the only one I've seem. 

4 hours ago, manofsteel said:

Lion and Lazy, I don't know if I'm reading your posts wrong, but is there a way to see the titles on the labels of all the books graded? I would like to see if there are other "PP XX/50" copies out there, as mine is the only one I've seem. 

As I recall, CGC should be able to access that information...

And thanks Lazyboy, although I was hoping the title with the least amount of entries was the wrong one. To think they've entered the wrong title on that many books is pretty mind-blowing. Add to it the Qualified and Universal debacle and I'm not sure what to think... 

4 hours ago, manofsteel said:

There is no way to see the label text for each individual graded copy unless you have the Certification # for every single one or you have full access to CGC's database. The information is there, it's just not conveniently available.

I posted my question in the Ask CGC section last week. I got an answer today...

"It's at the sole discretion of the grader to make that determination. You can always make a specific request on your packing slip by writing a note to the graders. They will take requests into consideration in select instances."

It seems a little odd that it's up to the graders discretion if it gets a Green or Blue label, instead of a set standard.