• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored DD 7 on feebay

37 posts in this topic

I hope the person that paid $1500 for this trimmed and color touched book is better at telling resto with book in hand than they were from a scan. The book is obviously restored but of course not advertised as such. Anyone know this seller and is he associated with PGX? And if you bought this book and are reading this, do yourself a favor and return it as soon as you get it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-Marvel-1964-7-/362843609205?hash=item547b2a1875%3Ag%3AjPUAAOSwFwNd7T1R&nma=true&si=%2FxvQHDykxkiQqZBEFLTPTmyEqeA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

43 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I hope the person that paid $1500 for this trimmed and color touched book is better at telling resto with book in hand than they were from a scan. The book is obviously restored but of course not advertised as such. Anyone know this seller and is he associated with PGX? And if you bought this book and are reading this, do yourself a favor and return it as soon as you get it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-Marvel-1964-7-/362843609205?hash=item547b2a1875%3Ag%3AjPUAAOSwFwNd7T1R&nma=true&si=%2FxvQHDykxkiQqZBEFLTPTmyEqeA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

How could you tell it was color touched?

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

Spine stress is color touched poorly, didn't match colors very well.

Yes. Good call, Lord Rahl. Poorly matched color touch at Daredevil's bicep (top left), a combination spine flake and fracture mistouched with black ink instead of chocolate brown, there's an aborted attempt at the top of the spine, to color a green area, and they wisely stopped, but not before it was too late to be obvious, some fractures at the spine in the blue/green areas also mismatched, the right bottom corner tip, touched with gray pencil or Crayola, the top edge is obviously whacked. Eagle-Eye Rahl! (worship)

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

What a shame. That looked like a really nice copy before someone butchered it.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes. Good call, Lord Rahl. Poorly matched color touch at Daredevil's bicep (top left), a combination spine flake and fracture mistouched with black ink instead of chocolate brown, there's an aborted attempt at the top of the spine, to color a green area, and they wisely stopped, but not before it was too late to be obvious, some fractures at the spine in the blue/green areas also mismatched, the right bottom corner tip, touched with gray pencil or Crayola, the top edge is obviously whacked. Eagle-Eye Rahl! (worship)

That top edge is so bad, even if you aren't good at spotting trimming, it should just scream "something is wrong" to anyone. Hopefully whoever bought this realizes it when they get the book in hand. $1500 is a stiff penalty to pay for a book worth a couple hundred bucks.

24 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What a shame. That looked like a really nice copy before someone butchered it.

It was nice. You called it, you can see it had high grade "bones". Depending upon how jagged the top edge was, this might have brought an 8.0 or 8.5 left alone. Certainly not $1500 worth, but like anything trimmed, another piece of history needlessly mutilated. :(

If you feel compelled to take something off the top, cut hair and leave the books be. (tsk)

25 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1596621850_dd7restored.thumb.png.f7bee5f9f2f1893fd34ff3abd67eb81c.png

Arrows at spine show (some of the ) color touch.

Top edge trimmed (along with right edge.)

That right edge certainly could be trimmed as well. Especially that this issue tends to have a right edge rough cut and there is a direction change in the telemetry of the cut, swooping out, soon after the start of the top right edge cut. Even with that angle change, they did a better job with the right edge than the top, it's not quite as obvious as the trimmed top edge. Good call! I didn't want to lump it in with the rest because I wasn't 100% sure, but with your pointing it out, I'm pretty much convinced now that this is a daily double also, the top and right edge.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1596621850_dd7restored.thumb.png.f7bee5f9f2f1893fd34ff3abd67eb81c.png

Arrows at spine show (some of the ) color touch.

Top edge trimmed (along with right edge.)

Thank you!  Dropping knowledge bombs! you guys are awesome. 

On 12/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, LordRahl said:

That top edge is so bad, even if you aren't good at spotting trimming, it should just scream "something is wrong" to anyone. Hopefully whoever bought this realizes it when they get the book in hand. $1500 is a stiff penalty to pay for a book worth a couple hundred bucks.

I did realize it right away!!  I'm trying to educate the seller on it.  He has bought from me in the past. He's a good person just didn't know that much about the resto. 

1 hour ago, ROBTOTHEC said:

I did realize it right away!!  I'm trying to educate the seller on it.  He has bought from me in the past. He's a good person just didn't know that much about the resto. 

I'm glad you're aware and it's a teachable moment :foryou: Sounds like good people to show me the thread in the restoration forum and still be willing to teach (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Or to realize and hand and still be willing to teach :) I'm always happy when a buyer seller and vice versa bond is formed, it helps in situations like this :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM