• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YEAR IN REVIEW: What you’ve collected in 2019 with recommendations.
4 4

79 posts in this topic

It seems like this is the right time of year to reflect on our personal acquisitions and views of the hobby in general.  This thread's emphasis should be on collectible comic books, pulps, art, movie posters, lobby cards, music collectibles and memorabilia, including grails acquired along with recommended reading and goals for the new year we choose to share. No limitation on items presented for forum consideration.  Whether you mortgaged the farm to acquire the holiest grail of your life or cracked open the piggy bank to snag an oddball treasure reacquired from your childhood, it’s all game.

My intention in starting this thread is not the business side of collecting, the financial health of the hobby or awards for best acquisitions.  However, this year I’m leaving room to acknowledge best publications that comic and nostalgic memorabilia collectors should embrace.  We certainly need another Year In Review thread that focuses on current aspects of the hobby such as it’s financial health, but that's Mitchell Mehdy's wheelhouse if he chooses to do one this year.

In short, this is primarily a collecting year in review thread. Whatever you're proudest of having added to your collection since January 1st of this year is fair game for inclusion and discussion.  To cover all aspects of collecting in 2019...including those unexpected holiday delights to come.  As with last year, the cut off for inclusions for this year is Dec. 31st, but will remain open through mid-January 2020 to capture late arrivals.  I’ll add mine as this thread evolves. 

Have fun!  :hi:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, and the reason why we are all here. Comic books... I have been pretty much priced out of the hobby now. Having to make do with bottom feeding, box diving and lower grade copies. Makes the thrill of the hunt so much more rewarding. At my age, I'm in the lucky spot of having most of what I really want. But every once in a while I will "Man-up" and pay through the nose.

This is one of my favorite Nedors and Hitler covers so when I was offered this book, I jumped at the chance to upgrade my ratty copy. Probably not up to many standards here and not encased in plastic, but I am stoked to have it!

comamericasbest7.jpg

Just saw this on IG (your copy I suspect?) and love it!

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, and the reason why we are all here. Comic books... I have been pretty much priced out of the hobby now. Having to make do with bottom feeding, box diving and lower grade copies. Makes the thrill of the hunt so much more rewarding. At my age, I'm in the lucky spot of having most of what I really want. But every once in a while I will "Man-up" and pay through the nose.

This is one of my favorite Nedors and Hitler covers so when I was offered this book, I jumped at the chance to upgrade my ratty copy. Probably not up to many standards here and not encased in plastic, but I am stoked to have it!

comamericasbest7.jpg

Wonder what Mussolini was doing under the desk!

2 minutes ago, AJD said:

One of the things I didn't set out to do this year but fell into when I bought a couple of modest collections fpr resale was to collect up some of the books that set me on the path to here today. These Australian Disney reprints all date from 1971 and I had them all as an 8 year old with spending power (such as it was) for the first time. Like most of us I could spot Barks a mile away and still cherish those stories. I think I'll hang on to these now, even when it's time to divest other stuff.

G506.thumb.jpg.680d98853305a30f3ca3d9554eab3be6.jpg

G507.jpg.505872cdc5b5feca1747eccb2a929af9.jpg

G512.jpg.5cdd123dfcc89a6bf68640ffc88f0aff.jpg

I would rather look at Barks art, even in reprints, than that other guy's duck stuff...what was his name...uh...somebody Kelly...anyway, it doesn't matter. :devil:  You got the good stuff...(thumbsu