• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YEAR IN REVIEW: What you’ve collected in 2019 with recommendations.
4 4

79 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Hey Cat, love that piece! I actually had my eye on it as well when it came up for auction. I know that most of Margaret's pulp work was done in pastel which is why very little has survived, that piece looks like it might be gouache, do you know?

This looks like a gouache composition given the opaqueness and vibrancy of color application.  Part of the appeal of gouache art is that it retains the subtle transparency of watercolor while providing the capability of greater color richness of oil via the opaqueness of the chalk binding. It’s also a more durable medium than watercolor and pastels.

20 hours ago, tabcom said:

C-M_A,

Are you a Criteron movie streaming subscriber?

I'm not that much of an advocate for streaming classic films, but we do stream current films and series television.  

Here's another absolute favorite that I've had since early this year (highly recommended!)...  

81HzIntf-fL._SX522_.jpg

Note: I prefer collecting HD media in anticipation of the next zombie apocalypse interrupting transmission!  :insane:

On 12/18/2019 at 6:36 PM, rjpb said:

My favorite acquisition this year was a pair of pulps I first saw in Steranko's History of Comics nearly 50 years ago, when I was a wee lad. Villain pulps have always intrigued me, with the unusual focus on the antagonist.  I've toyed with collecting pulps on and off since I was a teen-ager (It was Shadow pulps back then), inevitably selling what I've accumulated as I decide that it's not really a dragon I want to continue chasing, and perhaps will end up selling these before long, but for now I enjoy having them, and may even get around to reading themxD The big selling point on these are the near-white pages, which anyone who has bought pulps knows, are rarer in this medium than with GA comic books. 

OctopusPulp001.thumb.jpg.10c36647c7cbd6600fdd40cfaf004237.jpgScorpionPulp001.thumb.jpg.0e279ce954f3737440ccce05326e0ac3.jpg

that's what got me started on pulp collecting too...amazing stuff

On 12/19/2019 at 2:29 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Also collected this year, something appealing to both the pulp and fine art side this impressive fantasy work by Margaret Brundage...

lf.thumb.jpeg.c493304138baf405445a5b5f58571992.jpeg

:tink:

Cat, that’s fantastic!! I’d love to get a Brundage Weird Tales OA cover, but prices are just too stratospheric for mere mortals.

On 12/24/2019 at 2:36 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, all I'll say is that you can certainly never go wrong with any book that has an absolutely gorgeous and stunning cover image like this one here!!!  :luhv:

I was thinking about getting that one what is you book rating 1-1- and best thing you liked?