• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YEAR IN REVIEW: What you’ve collected in 2019 with recommendations.
4 4

79 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, tabcom said:

Remember when . . .

Last year had a lot to recommend it.  Pre-Covid, folks could still safely travel and congregate at cons, dine with friends, talk comics and deal books face to face.  Those were the good old days.  Hopefully, we’ll get that spirit and energy back by the end of summer in 2021. 

In retrospect, collecting-wise, 2019 was a very good year.  The Church Cat-Man #24 topped all of my other acquisitions, but there were a number of sweet books and art that came my way and lots of great memories of travel and meeting up with friends.

While 2020 was bolder, fewer purchases were made overall.  There was just too much isolation, tragedy and personal loss in 2020.  At times, pursuit of major books offered the only solace from this reality.

2019 would represent the last time ...for a long time... that sharing space in-person with other like-minded collectors could be indulged.  Those fond memories I’d like to visit anew. 2021 holds promise.  It should be a shot in the arm to collecting and con-going.

:tink:

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Last year had a lot to recommend it.  Pre-Covid, folks could still safely travel and congregate at cons, dine with friends, talk comics and deal books face to face.  Those were the good old days.  Hopefully, we’ll get that spirit and energy back by the end of summer in 2021. 

In retrospect, collecting-wise, 2019 was a very good year.  The Church Cat-Man #24 topped all of my other acquisitions, but there were a number of sweet books and art that came my way and lots of great memories of travel and meeting up with friends.

While 2020 was bolder, fewer purchases were made overall.  There was just too much isolation, tragedy and personal loss in 2020.  At times, pursuit of major books offered the only solace from this reality.

2019 would represent the last time ...for a long time... that sharing space in-person with other like-minded collectors could be indulged.  Those fond memories I’d like to visit anew. 2021 holds promise.  It should be a shot in the arm to collecting and con-going.

:tink:

I agree 2021 does hold promise, whether or not there will be a SDCC in 2021 is very much up in the air, I would say no Wonder Con 2021. Still more time at home has given me the opportunity to reread a number of great books including FF 1-30, etc. I predict at some point late next year we will have a resuming of conventions...and with the closing of so many comic shops and the increase of "on Line " buying, which I did a lot more in 2020 for example the great "history of EC comics" thru Amazon I think comic book convention sales will go thru the roof. Here is to a great 2021..not gonna be a easy year...with truth, justice and the American way we will prevail.

It was certainly a tragic year on many levels but also a weird year on many levels which probably could never be discussed on the boards due to how toxic it would be become with polarized sides on the subjects.

It was a buyers year in comics, stocks, etc. more than a sellers year with exceptions like real estate which hit obscene levels here in California if you wanted to sell.

Normalcy is probably going to return at a slow level in 2021. 

A lot of people actually improved their financial positions with the opportunity but I have to wonder how many more fell far behind. Time will tell how comics and other investments will look going forward. I picked up a lot of stuff on the cheap this year and see a lot more stuff being offered often with sellers much more inclined to deal. 

21 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree 2021 does hold promise, whether or not there will be a SDCC in 2021 is very much up in the air, I would say no Wonder Con 2021. Still more time at home has given me the opportunity to reread a number of great books including FF 1-30, etc. I predict at some point late next year we will have a resuming of conventions...and with the closing of so many comic shops and the increase of "on Line " buying, which I did a lot more in 2020 for example the great "history of EC comics" thru Amazon I think comic book convention sales will go thru the roof. Here is to a great 2021..not gonna be a easy year...with truth, justice and the American way we will prevail.

I think SDCC 2021 is far out enough to happen but don’t expect “business as usual” with how it’s organized and protocols in place. I think we’ll see the San Diego County Fair happen first as well. Wondercon might happen but at a different date. I agree it’s probably to early in the year to happen. Things will probably happen slowly but look very different than past events as a whole. It’s going to be a tough few months first though getting out of the hell of 2020...