• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QES - I dont get it ???????????????
4 4

77 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if it has a secondary stickered label on the back of the slab which actually details the specific criteria which were met?  ???

No it doesn't. I suspect all cva's criteria listed on the site is required for every designation. I don't know if QES requires the same across the board?it's an ASM 61 9.6 with 2 tiny defects one of which is a microscopic amount of wear on the front right corner. The spine is all clear front & back. 

Last time CLink offered me this sticker, I said “no thanks”. So let me see if I understand: They will send me an email telling me my book has been selected for an “exceptional” sticker which I can pay for.  But, if I choose not to pay for it, why can’t they mention in the description I was offered a sticker, to help me realize a higher sale price?

One of these houses should give out the sticker, when deserved, for free.  Seems that would be an enticement for people to consign to that company.

48 minutes ago, Heronext said:

One of these houses should give out the sticker, when deserved, for free.  Seems that would be an enticement for people to consign to that company.

Now, that's actually a fantabulous idea which you have here.  :applause:

No doubt they are concern that the other houses would simply have to offer the same complimentary service and now they would have to provide this additional labor intensive service with no offsetting benefits to be gained for them.  In addition, it would probably end up leaving the impression of a low quality no value service in the eyes of the marketplace.  hm

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I assume you must be referring to Heritage here since they really brighten up their scans to virtually unbelieveable colors.  :p

Actually, no, I honestly wasn't even thinking of Heritage scans. I like their bright scans. It's a blessing in comparison to what you get to work with from some sellers dismally dark scans and ultra-low res Polaroid-like pics on ebay, some so bad that if they didn't list the label grade in the title, you couldn't even tell!

I also like Heritage's scans because their brightness allows extensive study of the auction archive library! And the Heritage scans may be brighter than average, but I don't detect any hue alteration effects at all.

I was thinking more of Berk's scans, which are all blue tinted as were PGC Mint's scans at one time maybe 5-10 years ago.

19 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I assume you must be referring to Heritage here since they really brighten up their scans to virtually unbelieveable colors.  :p

Actually, no, I honestly wasn't even thinking of Heritage scans. I like their bright scans. It's a blessing in comparison to what you get to work with from some sellers dismally dark scans and ultra-low res Polaroid-like pics on ebay, some so bad that if they didn't list the label grade in the title, you couldn't even tell!

That is until you get the actual book shipped to you from Heritage in all its darker than expected glory and then you wish they had taken the picture with an ultra-low res Polaroid because that is actually much more reflective of the true colors of the book.  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That is until you get the actual book shipped to you from Heritage in all its darker than expected glory and then you wish they had taken the picture with an ultra-low res Polaroid because that is actually much more reflective of the true colors of the book.  lol

Colors, yeah. They can be muted by comparison with the book in your hand. But you can't beat the Heritage scans for fine detail. For showing each and every flaw in microscopic detail. The scans are ultra-high-res, so high res that you can incredibly zoom in and not have the foreground explode into a background of blurred pixels. From the standpoint of showing each and every defect, you can't beat their scanning. Best in the biz that I've seen so far.

Edited by James J Johnson

21 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I mean, yeah, I agree with your sentiment in general, but this is also a forum on a Comic Book Grading company's website, so it makes sense that the folks here...care about grading. Graded comics are a niche within a niche, but that particular niche, well, they like their grades!

Let me start by saying that I have no problem with people wanting graded books, CGC does provide a valuable service IMO for expensive, key books by authenticating they are original without any restoration and gives them a numerical grade so you as a collector or investor know what you are getting.

If you are a collector of only CGC books and have ALL of your books graded and that is what makes you happy I salute you (thumbsu :golfclap: for doing what makes you feel good and collecting "Your Way".

It is the Obsession with grading that bothers me, "OMG it came back with a 9.6 and it should have been a 9.8 and the graders notes do not say anything, now what do I do???".  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:

Now we are going to have the graders grade authenticated and verified???  ???   :facepalm:  hm  (shrug)

I also realize that comic books have become a money making/speculation/investment commodity and that the Silver Age books that I bought back in the 70's/80's/90's and Pre-Hero Books I bought 15 years ago are now worth a lot more $$$ and although they are insured that is not why I bought them, to me they are still comic books, a piece of my childhood that I want to hold onto, one that when I look at or read those books it brings back good memories that make me feel good, I do not see dollar $ signs although my kids will when I am gone. :preach:

21 hours ago, adampasz said:

Grading comics allows me to escape if only for a few moments, the harsh realities of the world we live in.  Or at least is an excuse for me to stop staring at a computer screen.

Grading comics yourself falls into the same category as reading/looking at them since you basically have to do both to grade, you have to physically hold/touch/smell/look at the book in order to grade it and if you are like me, certain books bring back good/pleasant memories that make you feel good and that is what comic books are/were all about.

21 hours ago, picon3 said:
On 12/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Slabbed coins that have had the CAC sticker have been bringing considerably higher prices at auction for the last 10 years in the same grades (for example MS 65).  Conceptually, the "Green" sticker says whether the coin in the slab falls within the range for that grade.  That's basically it.  The "Gold" sticker says that the coin is probably undergraded and would benefit from a resubmission

Yes, but there is also another sticker service called "Sight White" which confirms an unblemishished and super clean coin.  Because you need someone else to tell you what your eyes can see.  Same type of thing as with these multiple comic slab stickers.  At least with comics, there may be issues that can't be seen between the covers.  Coins have two visible sides. 

Screenshot_20191220-134319_Chrome.jpg.15000d2a0ec6b165bcf9a67e4b59cff1.jpg