• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have CGC books ever been damaged by CGC and then sent back to the Submitter?

2 posts in this topic

I recently received back a grade on one of my comic of a CGC Grade 1.0. It said large piece missing from my book. I know for fact that it was and intact complete cover when I submitted. I even use a magnifying glass to go over each cover I submit to insure no tears or other issue I might miss. What I can not understand is how an entire piece is missing from my book. We top load every comic we purchase and inspect each one before we submit to CGC.

I love CGC but I am having a hard time understanding this one. I am thinking for all future submissions I should take detailed dated photos of each book to prove my case.

This is the 2nd time I have a had a key book basically graded low because of a major issue. 

I sell comics at my store for a living for 25 years and I would not miss or submit a book with such a major flaw as an entire missing piece on the cover.

Please advise as how I deal with this? 

Edited by The Retro Store

1.  In millions and millions of submissions, CGC has certainly made all manner of errors, including the type you're talking about.  While overall I think most people think they do a good job or are STATISTICALLY consistent, that's not much comfort to those who are actually harmed by the errors (if they are in fact CGC errors, but it would be naïve to believe that every single time someone accused CGC of a mistake that they are actually responsible, when packing, shipping, customer mistake, and fraud all exist). 

2.  It is a great idea to take time and datestamped photos of your books before shipping them out, whether for grading, pressing,  submission or sales, or whatever other reason.  This would apply especially if there are any parts of any books that are 'precarious' in terms of their situation.

3.    You should get the graders notes and see if there are clues.

4.  It might benefit to call them directly and ask generally about treatment and handling of low-grade comics by CGC and possibly ask how they prefer their packing or identification or whatever.  Not saying its you, but some people package comics so securely when mailing them that they actually increase the chance of damage during the unpacking process.

5.  You should round up whatever evidence you have including all pertinent photos and submission paperwork and proof of payment, and contact CGC directly about making things right.  If possible, lay out the facts, lay out your concerns, lay out your proposed resolutions in a logical friendly way, without sounding condescending or getting mad.  If necessary, escalate.