• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail is the most over used and poorly used word in this hobby.
4 4

107 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Pet Peeve:

When someone says: "I don't understand how someone :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:..." when they actually mean, "I understand how someone :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: but I don't agree with someone :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:"

This is my grail post, I've been searching for years- three sets of three :blahblah:s in one post.

The search is over!

lol this thread makes me rethink my whole registry descriptions ha.

I know I put a IH 181 as my personal grail, with what I went through to get it, but I'm not sure if I mentioned the word "key" in other descriptions.

How about "tough" or "rare" in high grade, most of what has been mentioned I can relate to!

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

The phrase “tough book” annoys me slightly.  Ok.  I get it.  It’s a hard book to find in general or in a certain grade range.  But when “tough book” is used just by itself in a description, yuck-o!

damn and I thought they were describing the structural integrity of the book... :roflmao:

13 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Yeet

I'm not gonna lie to you, it's pretty fun to yell "yeet" and then wing something at somebody's head.

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm maybe too liberal, then.

I've always thought that if someone has aspired to obtain, focused, fixated, on a certain item for a very long period of time, a certain comic, piece of original art, then it's a grail for them, regardless of its market value or relevance or scarcity to someone else.  As long as it would provide a significant amount of closure after obtaining it, that's satisfying and definitive enough for me.

I agree. Although, when it comes to selling a personal grail like that, would you still advertise it as such? maybe a grey area idk

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm maybe too liberal, then.

I've always thought that if someone has aspired to obtain, focused, fixated, on a certain item for a very long period of time, a certain comic, piece of original art, then it's a grail for them, regardless of its market value or relevance or scarcity to someone else.  As long as it would provide a significant amount of closure after obtaining it, that's satisfying and definitive enough for me.

I agree, grail as a relative term makes perfect sense to me. I got my art grail last month. I'm satisfied. I don't really have a comic grail. The funny thing about grails is how often they turn up for sale shortly after their acquisition. 

14 hours ago, followtheleader said:

For me, it's "Collectible". 

Word makes me pffffffffffftttttttttttttttttt. 

Patrick

Same here. My wife had to drag me out of Dillard's when I saw their "Collectible" Limited Edition" "Genuine" "numbered" cubic zirconia jewelry. I started ranting about the sheer stupidity of such a thing apparently a little to loud and she drug me out before security could be called. Still makes me :sick::mad:

"Unread" as a condition description is the worst to me.  

So, no one ever read it?  Or the seller never read it?  Regardless, a book that was run over by a truck which was never read by anyone would be "unread condition".  People implying that a book is "mint condition" because they never read it are the same people that think a book is "mint condition" if it is still in the "original packaging" (the bag and board that someone put on it, not original in any way).

Bag it, board it, fold it up and stick it in your back pocket before you dive into a mud puddle.  That comic is "unread condition, still in original packaging"... a CGC 9.8 for sure.

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's all really relative from my own personal point of view.  hm

After all, if you compare the numbers for any comic book, they are indeed RARE compare to the grains of sand on a beach or the number of stars in our universe. lol 

This fact blew my mind when I first heard it...

Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is an average sized galaxy. Contained in our galaxy are, as my good buddy Carl used to say, "billions and billions" of stars. In the known universe, there are more galaxies than there are stars in our galaxy (each containing the aforementioned "billions and billions" of stars.

Yeah, there's no life out there. :eyeroll: