• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail is the most over used and poorly used word in this hobby.
4 4

107 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Same here. My wife had to drag me out of Dillard's when I saw their "Collectible" Limited Edition" "Genuine" "numbered" cubic zirconia jewelry. I started ranting about the sheer stupidity of such a thing apparently a little to loud and she drug me out before security could be called. Still makes me :sick::mad:

We should come up with a challenge. 

To locate any item that actually states Collectible and actually is.  

If a person needs to be told, it isn't.

Patrick

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When it comes to toys, I always lol at listings where things say it is 'complete'  yet when you read the description it is missing something essential like the guns that a transformer comes with. 

Ahh, this is a good one. 

In conjunction, the toy has 4 accessories.  The listing states that it's 99% complete.  

DOH, someone needs to re-take math. 

Patrick

3 hours ago, followtheleader said:

We should come up with a challenge. 

To locate any item that actually states Collectible and actually is.  

If a person needs to be told, it isn't.

Patrick

Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1 (1998) costs almost as much as the comic it reprints. :foryou:

On 12/19/2019 at 7:53 AM, Buzzetta said:

When it comes to toys, I always lol at listings where things say it is 'complete'  yet when you read the description it is missing something essential like the guns that a transformer comes with. 

Yeah being an old toy guy I can relate. Take a battery op toys.  MIB but not working. It is incomplete as the function is missing. However, I love buying toys like that because they can usually be fixed pretty easily. Score for me!

To me, a grail is something that is pretty much unobtainable. My grails would be Suspense #3 or More Fun #52. Real hard to find but if you have the money it can happen. I laugh when I see someone calling ASM #300 a “grail”. Come on really?

If by some miracle, these two were to ever land in my lap, would my quest be over? Heck no, I’m a comic collector. I would have to find another unicorn to chase...:roflmao:

How about these?

”potential” or “improvable” Those words just make me cringe...

Or

”original owner” Unless you are the guy who bought them off the rack, they are not “original owner”. This leads me back to “potential”.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

GTA Vice City: White guy can't swim.

GTA 4: ?????

GTA 4

Shootout with the bikers!!!

And killing Vlad

or maybe buddy on the crane

Those are just a few I can remember.

But what is really crazy is hitting the barrier or a wall on a bike. Yikes!!!

Edited by BaronSamedi

2 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

GTA 4

Shootout with the bikers!!!

And killing Vlad

or maybe buddy on the crane

Those are just a few I can remember.

But what is really crazy is hitting the barrier or a wall on a bike. Yikes!!!

S^&*. I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. It was San Andreas where the black guy could swim. Not GTA 4.

On 12/19/2019 at 11:14 AM, GACollectibles said:
On 12/19/2019 at 10:41 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Pet Peeve:

When someone says: "I don't understand how someone :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:..." when they actually mean, "I understand how someone :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: but I don't agree with someone :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:"

This is my grail post, I've been searching for years- three sets of three :blahblah:s in one post.

The search is over!

I would have quoted Blowie's post if I didn't already have a really nice quoted one. 

Btw, 'rare' is a far more overused and abused word than grail is. I love it when I look on ebay and some idgit who clearly doesn't know their azz from their elbow lists a commonly found comic, describes it as rare (with gratuitous exclamation points) and puts a price on it that's at least 10-20 times what it's worth.  

On 12/19/2019 at 12:47 AM, Unca Ben said:

And in OA circles, "splash" has lost all meaning IMO.

(If a panel on a page is large, the page then becomes a "splash")

(thumbsu

When I was growing up, the FIRST page of a comic was the splash page. I never heard full panel pages used elsewhere in a comic refered to as such. The modern day trend to refer to a 3 panel page with 1 big panel as a splash is terrifically annoying.

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

Btw, 'rare' is a far more overused and abused word than grail is. I love it when I look on ebay and some idgit who clearly doesn't know their azz from their elbow lists a commonly found comic, describes it as rare (with gratuitous exclamation points) and puts a price on it that's at least 10-20 times what it's worth.  

Exactly....

It's "rare" because nobody wants it.

2 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

Exactly....

It's "rare" because nobody wants it.

I cringe a little when I do, but but every once in a blue moon I will use it. But this is based on 50 years experience in the comic world. Most just use it as a weak “marketing ploy”. 

Annother one is “mint condition”. The only time that is true is when you are talking about chewing gum or ice cream. I don’t believe I have ever seen a comic without some tiny muniscule fault.