• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail is the most over used and poorly used word in this hobby.
4 4

107 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

This post sent me down a series of rabbit holes on the internet.  I appreciate the reading recommendations. 
(thumbsu

Happy to oblige. These kind of things fascinate me. Nick Bostrom appeared on Sam Harris’ podcast if you’re looking for Something else, it was a good episode. 

I reserve "grail" with regard to my personal collection for books that:

1. are impossible to find on demand (if it is available for purchase at-will, it's not a grail even if I can't afford it now),
  2. will be markedly more expensive than comparable.books when I do find it (if it takes me years to find, but it's only worth $20, that might be a chase book, but it isn't a grail),
  3. are significant to the sub-collection they are part of (random fill can't be a grail; it has to be something legitimately special),
  4. and grant me eternal life when used wisely.

Well, three out of four, anyway.

Well apparently every X-men issue ever printed is also now a grail, so I guess that’s happening.  Its easier to say grail then highly desirable, hard to find, and expensive comic book. That being said, x-men 282 is not my grail.  You know what they say, beauty is in the eye of beholder.  They also say there is a sucker born every minute...