• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail is the most over used and poorly used word in this hobby.
4 4

107 posts in this topic

I don't see how "grail" is even a term that's applicable in the comics collecting realm.  There's only one grail. A comic may be rare in grade or condition, but it isn't one of a kind. Grail is a term that's been bandied about in the Original Comic Art collecting circles the last 20 years, but at least it makes sense. OA is one of a kind. Now when people claim to have more than one grail, well they are kinda FOS, or they are some sort of polytheistic collector I guess.

My Marvel "grail" is Marvel Team-up #11. I have 3/4 of the art for the book. My DC grail is JLA#110, and I have half that book. They are the first comics I ever remember having.

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Key" is worse.

4-5 years in and I still don't understand WTF it means.

means it's an object used to open a locked area or storage container or house...…. (:

Edited by Krismusic

I find the word "impossible" in this context annoying. Saying that a comic you're trying to sell is "impossible to find" is absurd, It's in your possession and you've got it in front of you - does that imply that the comic you own defies cognition and/or reality itself?? Are you hallucinating while you try to sell a book that you have just deemed incapable of existence?

As you can tell, I've given this a great deal of thought. :facepalm:

9 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

the comic you own defies cognition and/or reality itself?? Are you hallucinating while you try to sell a book that you have just deemed incapable of existence?

It has been reported in scientific journals that psychosis can be a  pharmacological side effect of inhaling too much newsprint.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wouldn't a physical side effect be "choking"?

That’s true.

I always felt that the cheap newsprint was a bit choking and irritant when I read my comics back in the 70s.

When it comes to toys, I always lol at listings where things say it is 'complete'  yet when you read the description it is missing something essential like the guns that a transformer comes with.