• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)

224 posts in this topic

Yes and C3PO shines in this. 

JJ had a very tough job. A messy movie that will sour a lot.

Least favorite part: Killing Ben was kind of stupid. Also below average editing and writing confidence.

Favorite part: Maybe seeing Lando. Billy Dee did a great job. Also seeing Luke train with Leia.

Doesn't feel quite like Star Wars unlike The Mandalorian which does.

Clearly they (Meaning some higher ups) should have had a plan 

The more Im thinking about this the more I feel like this movie is trying hard to fix things. Succeeds in some ways and fails in others,

Edited by Rip

Open questions (possible storylines for future development):

1) Palpatine's survival from Death Star II?

2) Palpatine's son (when) and son's mom (who)?

3) Exogol planet history

4) earliest Sith history

5) Sith wayfinder technology (how old is it? who made it?)

6) Force Dyad stories in the past?

7) Exogol throne room amphitheatre crowd - who were they?

8) Was balance created by eliminating the Sith, or is there an imbalance of good now?

9) Is a Rey Academy next?

10) Unknown regions exploration

...and then just a weird question that needs an answer... why did Imperial ships fall out of the sky above Ewoks when the battle was won on Exogol in the unknown regions?

Edited by valiantman

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Open questions (possible storylines for future development):

1) Palpatine's survival from Death Star II?

2) Palpatine's son (when) and son's mom (who)?

3) Exogol planet history

4) earliest Sith history

5) Sith wayfinder technology (how old is it? who made it?)

6) Force Dyad stories in the past?

8) Was balance created by eliminating the Sith, or is there an imbalance of good now?

9) Is a Rey Academy next?

10) Unknown regions exploration

...and then just a weird question that needs an answer... why did Imperial ships fall out of the sky above Ewoks when the battle was won on Exogol in the unknown regions?

8. - think some are already speculating that Rey will create a new jedi order on Luke's home planet exploring his teachings of patience, etc.. 

I thought the ships falling out of the sky after Palpatine's death was not well written.. should of figured out the destruction of the star destroyers differently... 

I still think Disney will milk a few more trilogies out of Star Wars... they might give us a break around the Skywalker or New Skywalker Rey stories for a bit, but I think they will revisit it again. 

personally I found it to be the same circle as the orignal series.. Vader has a redemption.. Ben/ren has his redemption and dies.. very similar... destroying the command star destroyer by hitting the command bridge (blowing up deathstar) the rest of the galaxy joins in last min to help at the last moment... 

Rey choosing to be good like Luke choosing to be good and Vader to be bad... kind of the same similarities. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Star Wars and will always like it. I just felt it could have had a bit more differences or something new or refreshing. But Disney product with Disney ending for all ages. 

Spoiler-driven theory time...

The Sith Rule of Two never made much sense to me because the Sith Master was always training his own assassin, BUT, this movie seems to imply that the Sith generations live on "unnaturally" within the Sith Master.  The movie clearly establishes that "a thousand generations of Jedi live" in Rey, but that's possibly because she is now the last Jedi.  Perhaps the Sith have always known that they can never "really" die because they are essentially surviving through the one Sith Master.  The Jedi have spread their knowledge of natural Force powers across many Force-capable people for a thousand generations and only "consolidated" all Jedi power since Palpatine's Order 66. 

Rey doesn't defeat Palpatine.  A thousand generations of Jedi in Rey BALANCE a thousand generations of Sith in Palpatine.  They both do die.

Balance does not go well with any "unnatural ability", so Palpatine's extra survival since the Death Star was probably not as strong as Rey's first lifetime (never dying).  They both died in the final battle, but Ben gave Rey back the life force she (and Leia) gave him earlier. Rey is now using "unnatural ability" to live again, but not out of greed.  She gave Ben a second life, and he "naturally" gave it back to her.  Her second life is not from greed, but from balance. 

Perhaps the only thing that ever unbalances the Force is "unnatural ability". Until someone decides to exceed what the Force gives naturally, the balance remains.

Edited by valiantman

28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I still don't know why the Imperial ships fall out of the sky. So much moved so fast. I'm going to see it again.

Finn never told Rey he is Force Sensitive I'm guessing that was what he was trying to say to her. We will most certainly see this played out going forward. Disney plus or Movie?

Although I heard the actor says he doesn't want Disney plus.

12 hours ago, Rip said:

Yes and C3PO shines in this. 

JJ had a very tough job. A messy movie that will sour a lot.

Least favorite part: Killing Ben was kind of stupid. Also below average editing and writing confidence.

Favorite part: Maybe seeing Lando. Billy Dee did a great job. Also seeing Luke train with Leia.

Doesn't feel quite like Star Wars unlike The Mandalorian which does.

Clearly they (Meaning some higher ups) should have had a plan 

The more Im thinking about this the more I feel like this movie is trying hard to fix things. Succeeds in some ways and fails in others,

accidentally clicked this thread but the bold part has me excited to see it now. 

I didn't read any more of your post but I hope they kill off Finn & Rose in maybe a double suicide mission.    :wishluck: 

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Spoiler-driven theory time...

The Sith Rule of Two never made much sense to me because the Sith Master was always training his own assassin, BUT, this movie seems to imply that the Sith generations live on "unnaturally" within the Sith Master.  The movie clearly establishes that "a thousand generations of Jedi live" in Rey, but that's possibly because she is now the last Jedi.  Perhaps the Sith have always known that they can never "really" die because they are essentially surviving through the one Sith Master.  The Jedi have spread their knowledge of natural Force powers across many Force-capable people for a thousand generations and only "consolidated" all Jedi power since Palpatine's Order 66. 

Rey doesn't defeat Palpatine.  A thousand generations of Jedi in Rey BALANCE a thousand generations of Sith in Palpatine.  They both do die.

Balance does not go well with any "unnatural ability", so Palpatine's extra survival since the Death Star was probably not as strong as Rey's first lifetime (never dying).  They both died in the final battle, but Ben gave Rey back the life force she (and Leia) gave him earlier. Rey is now using "unnatural ability" to live again, but not out of greed.  She gave Ben a second life, and he "naturally" gave it back to her.  Her second life is not from greed, but from balance. 

Perhaps the only thing that ever unbalances the Force is "unnatural ability". Until someone decides to exceed what the Force gives naturally, the balance remains.

Unnatural means magic. 

20 minutes ago, devilsrain said:

accidentally clicked this thread but the bold part has me excited to see it now. 

I didn't read any more of your post but I hope they kill off Finn & Rose in maybe a double suicide mission.    :wishluck: 

Rose gets a fate worse than death, she gets clerical duty.

I'm not kidding. Maybe a screen time of 2 minutes. About 15 minutes in, she tells Finn she needs to work on paperwork, then a few small shots with Leia and that's it. 

It was better then I expected, give it a 6.5 out of 10.  A few things really bothered me and resulted in that score, because visually the movie was excellent, and the actors did well.

1. The Emperor being alive only to be killed by a solo Rey, when it took father and son to kill him the first time lessons the closure and important of the OT.

2. Do not like Rey taking the Skywalker name and basically getting all his stuff. Not inherently bad, but it felt wrong to me. 

3. Many many many plot holes, or things that needed to be clarified or explained..

4. Not much originality.  Like TFA was a remake of ANH, this in many ways was a remake of TROJ.  The final confrontation down to a good potion of the dialog was almost directly taken from TROJ. 

5. All the force users were way overpowered. Even the Emperor seemed way more powerful than he had ever been presented in the past. Plus, the force users routinely had previously unseen powers whenever the plot required it.

11 hours ago, drotto said:

It was better then I expected, give it a 6.5 out of 10.  A few things really bothered me and resulted in that score, because visually the movie was excellent, and the actors did well.

1. The Emperor being alive only to be killed by a solo Rey, when it took father and son to kill him the first time lessons the closure and important of the OT.

2. Do not like Rey taking the Skywalker name and basically getting all his stuff. Not inherently bad, but it felt wrong to me. 

3. Many many many plot holes, or things that needed to be clarified or explained..

4. Not much originality.  Like TFA was a remake of ANH, this in many ways was a remake of TROJ.  The final confrontation down to a good potion of the dialog was almost directly taken from TROJ. 

5. All the force users were way overpowered. Even the Emperor seemed way more powerful than he had ever been presented in the past. Plus, the force users routinely had previously unseen powers whenever the plot required it.

I agree with a lot of these.

1. I think it was supposed to be all of the Jedi's inside her that what helped her beat the Emperor just like all of the Sith inside the Emperor made him so over powered. Still I agree it felt odd.

2. Yea that seemed a bit funny.

3. Times 10X Maybe the biggest problem with the movie.

For me The Rise of Skywalker started out well enough, and I was encouraged.  But the longer the movie went the more I felt like I was on a slowly descending ride where 5 minutes started to feel like 15 and I began to ask myself "enough already, are we done yet?"  Visually attractive, but no personality.

Maybe that is the result of trying to milk so many films for so long out of what was a cultural phenomenal in 1977?  I loved sportin' my Star Wars t-shirt, hanging Star Wars posters in the room and tradin' stories with my fellow sixth grade classmates about who saw it more times.

For me, The Force Awakens came closest to re-capturing that "feel good" straight forward 'ole fashioned, simple well done movie. I guess we can never really go back, but I think I'm officially over trying with this franchise.  

Edited by path4play

On 12/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, valiantman said:

I have some of the same questions you do, but I haven't seen all of Clone Wars or Rebels yet and presume at least some of the answers lie there.  But this question burned me throughout the scenes where they showed the amphitheater.  Whoever they were, they weren't terribly skilled in the Force to all get taken out at once like that.  I'm guessing they were all clones of someone because they all looked to be the same size in the closeups, but who I'm unsure of.  Could have been Palpatine clones, could have been Snoke clones, or possibly someone else.  The only reason Snoke occurred to me is since Palpatine said he created Snoke and we saw a few terminated clones of him in glass vats.

I'm wondering if the main story of the Mandalorian ties into this.  Snoke started the First Order, and Palpatine controlled Snoke, and I believe that the First Order does exist in the timeframe of the Mandalorian, it just hasn't risen to power yet.  It could be that Snoke is the most Force-sensitive being Palpatine had available to clone aside from himself, and in the Mandalorian we're seeing him trying to obtain "The Child" for cloning to create an elite Sith army.  He must not have obtained him, however, because whoever was in the ampitheatre was significantly larger than Yoda's species.

Edited by fantastic_four