• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)

224 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

As well IIRC it's only Kylo who tells her her parents were nothing and maybe that's all he knew. 

This.

As I've said repeatedly on this forum, even when watching the film I thought we weren't supposed to *believe* Kylo when he said this. That he either was mistaken (easy, if indeed Palpatine was manipulating stuff behind the scenes) or the simpler explanation - that I thought at the time -- that Kylo was simply *lying* to Rey in that moment to help convince her to join him.

That *eveyone* seems to have taken his word at face value bugs me, when the more obvious answer is that he was lying simply to manipulate her.

Edited by Gatsby77

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Hulk is a limited character anyway.  He's got the same problem Superman does--he's so powerful, who's he going to fight?  With Superman, everyone loves other Kryptonians like Zod best, but that's just so unoriginal.  Same with Hulk--Abomination is his ultimate foe, but really he's just an uglier copy of Hulk.

I still freaking love Incredible Hulk.  Or more specifically, I love every scene with Tim Roth, and I revere that last Abomination/Hulk fight.  That's the absolute pinnacle of Hulk on screen.  Ripping a taxi in half and using the two halves as boxing gloves to punch Abomination?  WHAT MORE DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?!?!  (worship)   Hulk probably isn't in the top ten of my favorite comic superheroes, but everything that film gave me exceeds whatever it is I do like about Hulk.  But yea, everything else in that film is meh...when I re-watch that film, it's just the Blonsky highlights and that last fight.  My adrenaline still goes up when Hulk crawls out of the street and Abomination starts taunting him to fight.  :cloud9:

I like his hot co-worker.

hulk-nascimento-01-large-3.jpg

Just for fun, I'll add these notes. I believe this is the first time I've encountered Dyad in pop-culture. The One? Sure. The Dyad? Never. 

Indefinite Dyad aka the Unlimited [Unlimited Nature] as defined by Plato in Philebus 24E as that which admits becoming More or Less. CF the Great and the Small in Aristotle’s Metaphysics. Per Simplicius, Porphyry adds the Unlimited Nature, another synonym; More and Less. Excess and Deficiency, Statesman 283c-285c. Great & Small, Indefinite Dyad – Aristotle, Simplicius, Alexander, Theophrastus, not Plato  Proclus the One and the Indefinite Dyad.         

A. Palpatine said that he needs Rey to end his life so he can inhabit her and live on as all Sith Lords do in the current living Master.

B. Rey kills him as Palpatine ordered.

C. So now he and all who came before him live in her as she is Rey Skywalker: Sith Lord.

Anyone else notice that? Didn’t say how he had to die just she needed to kill him and she would assume his role and legacy. All hail the new Empress I guess.

9 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

A. Palpatine said that he needs Rey to end his life so he can inhabit her and live on as all Sith Lords do in the current living Master.

B. Rey kills him as Palpatine ordered.

C. So now he and all who came before him live in her as she is Rey Skywalker: Sith Lord.

Anyone else notice that? Didn’t say how he had to die just she needed to kill him and she would assume his role and legacy. All hail the new Empress I guess.

For an evil mastermind, Palpatine is incredibly stupid. You would have thought after his run-in with Mace Windu, he would have learned to simply stop shooting force lightning when it’s being deflected back at him (shrug)

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

He wanted her to strike him down offensively just as he wanted Luke to do it in Episode VI.  Instead, she killed him defensively while he was attacking her with Force lightning.  She didn't give in to hatred.

I don't buy any of that by the way, it's just the way Lucas seemed to be telling it in Episode 6 and the way Abrams mirrored it in Episode 9.  I'm more with Mace Windu in Episode 3--Palpatine is too dangerous to leave alive.  And just because you kill him for that reason doesn't mean you're suddenly a Sith and not a Jedi.

Edited by fantastic_four

40 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

He wanted her to strike him down offensively just as he wanted Luke to do it in Episode VI.  Instead, she killed him defensively while he was attacking her with Force lightning.  She didn't give in to hatred.

I don't buy any of that by the way, it's just the way Lucas seemed to be telling it in Episode 6 and the way Abrams mirrored it in Episode 9.  I'm more with Mace Windu in Episode 3--Palpatine is too dangerous to leave alive.  And just because you kill him for that reason doesn't mean you're suddenly a Sith and not a Jedi.

Eh I don’t know by redirecting the blast back, she basically did strike him down. She took a positive step to kill him in battle and she was clearly angry when she did it. 

Again this movie had so many holes this is just one more.

38 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Eh I don’t know by redirecting the blast back, she basically did strike him down. She took a positive step to kill him in battle and she was clearly angry when she did it. 

This.

Also, since she's now struck down the Emperor, thus Highlander-style internalizing the power of "all of the Sith" I agree with one user on Twitter who noted how much stronger the ending would have been if she acknowledges this at the end.

There she is, standing in front of Luke's childhood home, site of the execution of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, and when asked who she is...

Her eyes go red, she answers "Rey Palpatine" and disintegrates them.

<Scene>

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Again this movie had so many holes this is just one more.

I agree it had a lot of holes but this wasn't one. She didn't strike him down in anger. I didn't get that at all. She did it to defend the galaxy, with the all the Jedi behind her(shrug)

28 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I agree it had a lot of holes but this wasn't one. She didn't strike him down in anger. I didn't get that at all. She did it to defend the galaxy, with the all the Jedi behind her(shrug)

Agreed. I don’t know where you can take a story with the rules being that if you kill evil you become evil because killing is bad. Better to get steamrolled by evil and go out sooner than later but at least you died a good guy?  

I’d wager that Kenobi was pretty PO’d when he cut Maul in half but he seemed to hang on to the Light side with no issue. 

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Also, since she's now struck down the Emperor, thus Highlander-style internalizing the power of "all of the Sith" I agree with one user on Twitter who noted how much stronger the ending would have been if she acknowledges this at the end.

There she is, standing in front of Luke's childhood home, site of the execution of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, and when asked who she is...

Her eyes go red, she answers "Rey Palpatine" and disintegrates them.

<Scene>

By this logic Mace Windu was a Sith right before he died, too.  Killing someone evil for justice, retribution, or even vengeance isn't the same as killing them because you get off on killing people.

This wasn't one of my problems, by striking an unarmed opponent in anger plus her having his blood inside her he would then have the ability to take her over.

Instead she had the power of the Jedi backing her up and beat him with his own hatred.

Seems cut and dry to me.

Edited by Rip

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

This wasn't one of my problems, by striking an unarmed opponent in anger plus her having his blood inside her he would then have the ability to take her over.

He seemed to be saying this.  Couldn't tell how literal he was being, but if he WAS being literal, it sounds really, really dumb.  What is all of this Force taking over your body nonsense?  Is it new, or has it been in the extended universe before?

Sith possession/transfer essence isn't anything new. Although this seemed to add an extra component with the bloodline. Over the years I've heard many say that while Sith don't become ghosts they transfer their bodies into different objects/locations.

Hence, "this place is strong with the dark side of the force" etc.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Transfer_essence

Edited by Rip

Just rambling here...

Where I thought it might go was for Rey and Kylo and Palpatine to all die. They always talk about balance, so to me that seems an all (good and bad) or nothing proposition. If Rey is alive and she is in the light then somewhere out there is someone in the dark, no(shrug). Or equally interesting would be for Rey to have been morally ambiguous, both in the light and dark side. (shrug)