• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)

224 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Solid 4/5. It simply feels and sounds like a Star Wars movie. A fun film experience.

Where it excels: Tingly feeling in my pants every time they flip off TLJ.

Unfiltered stupidity: Sith dagger. There is no excuse for this.

Sith Wayfinder? Not a fan, but I don't hate it.

While the editing may seem 'sloppy', on my 2nd viewing it seemed perfect. Very fast-paced but the scene-to-scene threads all made sense.

My faith in Star Wars has been renewed. I will now watch The Amanda Lori And Who? and also continue playing Jedi: Fallen Order.

I'm not a big fan of the fighting thru the Force kinda thing, or the teleportation of the lightsaber, but (again) I don't really hate it.

I basically deducted 0.5 for the Sith Dagger and another 0.5 for every ship of the Imperial Fleet having a planet-killer cannon.

emotion01.gif.a14140883094a103ecc93a2934c4f274.gif

:baiting:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

After watching non-spoiler reviews from critics I very much align with, I'm going to hold off until this reaches Redbox.

I would suggest otherwise.

An acquaintance of mine, who I thought had identical taste in movies, gave it a 5/10. He seemed pissed about it. I was depressed and apprehensive after hearing about it from him.

I obviously disagree with him. The visuals and soundtrack deserve to be appreciated in theaters IMO. Reconsider, Bosco.

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Also: I was extremely surprised by Han's cameo. With the, "see you around kid" dialogue from Luke in TLJ, I was expecting that to be him there at that moment.

I thought it was Luke at first as well. The only part that bothered me was he looked like hell. Couldn’t he at least get a haircut? 

7 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

I thought it was Luke at first as well. The only part that bothered me was he looked like hell. Couldn’t he at least get a haircut? 

It would've been better to have included a Ben & Luke scene maybe right after that. "I didn't give up on my father - and yours never gave up on you. I saw good in him and your parents saw that in you." Would have made the Leia 'sacrifice' even better, too. Luke's connection to the Force could have sensed Ben's guilt for murdering his dad, and his sister's call to her son, and known that was the time to show up and turn him back to the Light.

Missed opportunity IMO.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It would've been better to have included a Ben & Luke scene maybe right after that. "I didn't give up on my father - and yours never gave up on you. I saw good in him and your parents saw that in you." Would have made the Leia 'sacrifice' even better, too. Luke's connection to the Force could have sensed Ben's guilt for murdering his dad, and his sister's call to her son, and known that was the time to show up and turn him back to the Light.

Missed opportunity IMO.

I would have been ok without Han and just a Luke scene where they talk.  We could have got the same message and would have kept in line with Force ghosts.  

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Solid 4/5. It simply feels and sounds like a Star Wars movie. A fun film experience.

While the editing may seem 'sloppy', on my 2nd viewing it seemed perfect. Very fast-paced but the scene-to-scene threads all made sense.

My faith in Star Wars has been renewed. I will now watch The Amanda Lori And Who? and also continue playing Jedi: Fallen Order.

I'm not a big fan of the fighting thru the Force kinda thing, or the teleportation of the lightsaber, but (again) I don't really hate it.

I basically deducted 0.5 for the Sith Dagger and another 0.5 for every ship of the Imperial Fleet having a planet-killer cannon.

I didn’t like the dagger either. The way she used it to find the way finder really didn’t fit in. It worked for Goonies but I think this was pretty corny. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

After watching non-spoiler reviews from critics I very much align with, I'm going to hold off until this reaches Redbox.

Star Wars on a TV screen and Star Wars in a Dolby movie theater maybe with 3D are not the same movie experience, obviously. Star Wars, in general, with its space drama, and this movie in particular, needs to be seen on a large screen.

In a way, the ending is the "star wars" regular people who don't have a Force Shrine in their bedrooms have really been waiting for. Needs to be seen in a theater, for sure.

2 hours ago, bentbryan said:

F4FE3AED-5BF2-42BC-99AA-0947E9F9AF4F.jpeg

I thought that end was one of the best moments in all the Star Wars movies. Rey, knowing who she is and where she comes from, is free to choose who she wants to be and she chooses the good. I thought it was awesome and a fitting end to the Skywalker story. 

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I thought that end was one of the best moments in all the Star Wars movies. Rey, knowing who she is and where she comes from, is free to choose who she wants to be and she chooses the good. I thought it was awesome and a fitting end to the Skywalker story. 

It really didn’t move the meter for me either way.  Aside from the spectacular visuals and audio tracks this film was just average for me.  It definitely felt like Star Wars but the story is paper-thin.  

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Also: I was extremely surprised by Han's cameo. With the, "see you around kid" dialogue from Luke in TLJ, I was expecting that to be him there at that moment.

I had heard he was going to be in it. Wasn't sure I would like that scene. Ending up really like it. Ben's arc for the most part was done really well. Going to watch it again likely this weekend.

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

I would have been ok without Han and just a Luke scene where they talk.  We could have got the same message and would have kept in line with Force ghosts.  

I am still deciding if I like this movie or not which in itself is kind of a bad thing.  

I was ok with the scene because Han wasn’t a force ghost and only in his head. If he would have been a ghost that would have been too much I think.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I liked the dagger and the wayfinder, they hinted at a greater story to be told. As for the planet killers, the less said the better.