• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)

224 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I liked the dagger and the wayfinder, they hinted at a greater story to be told. As for the planet killers, the less said the better.

The existence of the Sith Dagger isn't the problem - it's how it was used to find the Emperor's Wayfinder that I have a huge issue. "Stand in this area and the dagger is shaped exactly like part of the fallen Death Star after you pull this little tab blah blah blah" that was a huge failure.

They (Rebellion/Resistance) had the Death Star plans in the past. They don't know where the throne room was? They couldn't use that or Luke's ghost to tell Rey? It seems like a horrible story point when there were easily much better options.

The Sith Dagger's existence is fine. How it was used as a MacGuffin was awful.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The existence of the Sith Dagger isn't the problem - it's how it was used to find the Emperor's Wayfinder that I have a huge issue. "Stand in this area and the dagger is shaped exactly like part of the fallen Death Star after you pull this little tab blah blah blah" that was a huge failure.

They (Rebellion/Resistance) had the Death Star plans in the past. They don't know where the throne room was? They couldn't use that or Luke's ghost to tell Rey? It seems like a horrible story point when there were easily much better options.

That was definitely a bit much. Also , I think it would have worked better if 3PO couldn't translate the runes at all, which would have made more sense but I guess it brings the quest to a standstill.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

BCEA37E0-B523-4131-9E19-94D698585E1C.jpeg

This was amusing (sorry if already been posted).

"To get to Palpatine they need get a thing, but to get that thing they need to go to a place to get another thing and go to another place to get another thing."

:roflmao:

9 minutes ago, bane said:

"To get to Palpatine they need get a thing, but to get that thing they need to go to a place to get another thing and go to another place to get another thing."

That sounds like a way to summarize at least half of the science fiction films I've ever seen, if not the great majority of them.  DEFINITELY every Indiana Jones movie can be trivialized in that way.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

That sounds like a way to summarize at least half of the science fiction films I've ever seen, if not the great majority of them.  DEFINITELY every Indiana Jones movie can be trivialized in that way.

Fetch quests!

18 minutes ago, bane said:

Fetch quests!

That is exactly how people have summarized RoS: a big Star Wars fetch quest scene from the games where it lines up a key character going to get a thing. And then the big, entertaining scenes happen as part of the fetch. Leading to the next fetch scene.

But honestly, I haven't seen it yet. I've just read enough of the same comments from reviewers I seem aligned with I am holding out until Redbox free coupons are distributed. But it needs to be one of those free coupons where if I use it, I don't miss out on something critical. Like 'rent a movie for free AND get a free tub of popcorn'.

:nyah:

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That is exactly how people have summarized RoS: a big Star Wars fetch quest scene from the games where it lines up a key character going to get a thing. And then the big, entertaining scenes happen as part of the fetch. Leading to the next fetch scene.

But honestly, I haven't seen it yet. I've just read enough of the same comments from reviewers I seem aligned with I am holding out until Redbox free coupons are distributed. But it needs to be one of those free coupons where if I use it, I don't miss out on something critical. Like 'rent a movie for free AND get a free tub of popcorn'.

I'll wait for it to hit streaming. I'm not a Star Wars fan by any stretch of the imagination, I was dragged to the Last Jedi and thought that movie was dumb and boring so have no real desire to rush to the cinema to see this, especially from what I've read/seen. Although jars of pickled Snoakes made me chuckle and I hope someone comes out with that as a weird gift LMAO

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Infinity War and Endgame were both fetch quests. Look at how well those were put together.

A single aspect of a film neither makes it great nor invalidates its greatness.

21 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Infinity War and Endgame were both fetch quests. Look at how well those were put together.

A single aspect of a film neither makes it great nor invalidates its greatness.

Infinity War was a massive delivery to 18 previous films that build up all the character backstories and audience attachments previously. Then Endgame attempted to come in for the final emotional punch.

I appreciate your point. But the MCU and Star Wars franchises were handled so much differently, I feel you can't compare the two. :foryou:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Infinity War was a massive delivery to 18 previous films that build up all the character backstories and audience attachments previously. Then Endgame attempted to come in for the final emotional punch.

I appreciate your point. But the MCU and Star Wars franchises were handled so much differently, I feel you can't compare the two. :foryou:

Half of the characters in TROS have been around for 40 years. TROS attempts to do the same thing that Endgame did.

See the movie and then tell me that they can't be compared.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Half of the characters in TROS have been around for 40 years. TROS attempts to do the same thing that Endgame did.

See the movie and then tell me that they can't be compared.

It isn't about length of time characters were around. It is how audience members were eased into the final big event film. The MCU took place a ten-year period. So everyone got it how this all came together, without a ten-year gap between trilogies.

But one day, I will see RoS for myself. But far from as emotionally attached as the MCU. 

1 hour ago, Foley said:

Here are the claims made by an "inside source" regarding the JJ cut and how Disney apparently hacked up his version of the film.

Reveal hidden contents

Very interesting. Especially the behind-the-scenes strategy to trip up Bad Robot. A lot of bidding took place with this production company.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
5 hours ago, Foley said:

Here are the claims made by an "inside source" regarding the JJ cut and how Disney apparently hacked up his version of the film.

Reveal hidden contents

Very interesting. Especially the behind-the-scenes strategy to trip up Bad Robot. A lot of bidding took place with this production company.

I'd love some names in there in place for the generic word "Disney."  Who was the one meddling--Kathleen Kennedy?  Pablo Hidalgo?  Or someone else?  I suppose it doesn't really matter because it all comes back to Kathleen Kennedy in the end, so we can safely insert her name in there every time the word "Disney" is used.

If true, this all sounds like the type of production with the Marvel Creative Committee continuously rejecting Joss Whedon's ideas on Age of Ultron that drove him nuts and caused him to withdraw from Marvel movies.  My understanding is that Feige's work mostly comes with picking a good director, giving them a roadmap for the overall direction of the Marvel story phases that they have to fit inside of, and then letting them have a ton of freedom within that framework.  Sounds like KK or her people don't work that way at all and preferred to micromanage.  NO directors like that stuff, and it virtually always leads to inferior movies due to having a greatly mixed storytelling vision.  So while Feige and the MCU doesn't purely support the auteur theory where one director has complete creative control to guide the vision for a film to greatness that Scorsese was complaining about last year, Feige does allow for far more director control and unified vision than this type of collaboration where producers micromanage and frequently override director decisions without even a discussion.  Hopefully this is the main value Feige ends up adding with whatever his involvement with Star Wars ends up being--he either trains KK on how to do her job, or he picks her successor.

Edited by fantastic_four

5 hours ago, Foley said:

Reveal hidden contents

I wouldn't trust JJ Abrams with complete creative control on anything. Sure, he "revitalized" Star Trek but also potentially killed the budding franchise with his preposterous storylines. Star Trek Into Darkness as Exhibit A. I guess he's clever with his TV shows which also eventually amount to nothing. After Rise of Skywalker, can we stop giving this guy the keys to every franchise on Earth? Thank goodness for Kevin Feige.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I'd love some names in there in place for the generic word "Disney."  Who was the one meddling--Kathleen Kennedy?  Pablo Hidalgo?  Or someone else?  I suppose it doesn't really matter because it all comes back to Kathleen Kennedy in the end, so we can safely insert her name in there every time the word "Disney" is used.

If true, this all sounds like the type of production with the Marvel Creative Committee continuously rejecting Joss Whedon's ideas on Age of Ultron that drove him nuts and caused him to withdraw from Marvel movies.  My understanding is that Feige's work mostly comes with picking a good director, giving them a roadmap for the overall direction of the Marvel story phases that they have to fit inside of, and then letting them have a ton of freedom within that framework.  Sounds like KK or her people don't work that way at all and preferred to micromanage.  NO directors like that stuff, and it virtually always leads to inferior movies due to having a greatly mixed storytelling vision.  So while Feige and the MCU doesn't purely support the auteur theory where one director has complete creative control to guide the vision for a film to greatness that Scorsese was complaining about last year, Feige does allow for far more director control and unified vision than this type of collaboration where producers micromanage and frequently override director decisions without even a discussion.  Hopefully this is the main value Feige ends up adding with whatever his involvement with Star Wars ends up being--he either trains KK on how to do her job, or he picks her successor.

It really would be tough to put the whole backoffice in-fighting picture together to figure this out without all the right players that were familiar with all the details.

But now realizing they purposely excluded the Lucasfilm Historians that keep the Star Wars lore and backstories straight across the films, it's clear there was something going on here.

That MCC impact on the MCU flow could be a book in itself I would love to read. Especially how it impacted Patty Jenkins working on Thor 2, Edgar Wright bailing on Ant-Man and Joss Whedon post-Ultron initially swearing off doing more Marvel films (but then recanted what he said later on). There was a lot of tampering that Feige then had to overcome quite wisely (and massively successful with the box office results).

As always I would take some of this with HUGE grains of salt. A lot of this info has parts from more legitimate sources but with a different spin. Some of it reads like saltly fan fiction.

Chunks of this are also from other interviews but slightly changed. "This wasn't the movie we worked on" was taken from a different interview but a bit out of context.

In another interview it was regarding the time crunch on this movie with a few less months to work on it. JJ couldn't spend the time in the editing room and some scenes didn't make it.

Honestly from what I've heard as always that tends to be one of the biggest problems overall.

Mustafar WAS supposed to be longer which was taken from various sources books, twitter sources from cast etc. First order officers were also mentioned to be in the early scene.

At least its a bit better than DVD Overlord/Mike Zeroh.

Edited by Rip