• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM Artists (poll)

Pick 4  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Your top four (4) Amazing Spider-Man artists:

• Steve DITKO
    • John ROMITA (Sr.)
    • Gil KANE
    • Todd McFARLANE
    • Mark BAGLEY
    • Erik LARSEN
    • John ROMITA (Jr.)
    • Ron FRENZ
    • Ross ANDRU
    • John BUSCEMA
    • Rick LEONARDI
    • Stuart IMMONEN
    • Mike ZECK
    • Mike DEODATO
    • Alex SAVIUK
    • Sal BUSCEMA
    • John BYRNE
    • Larry LIEBER
    • Jim MOONEY
    • OTHER

48 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

This poll is not valid without Charles Vess :sumo:

C. Vess was # 7 in my top ten poll. You can “write” him in under “other.” :(
664C60C4-FF7F-490F-871E-BFC1681345D4.thumb.jpeg.a2d360ca31cd4110ab9f7fccfa7634e5.jpeg

Edited by grapeape

5 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Vess does beautiful work, but how much Spidey did he actually draw?

On ASM, roughly the same amount of work as  Saviuk, Leonardi,and Sal Buscema, which were all listed individually instead of being lumped as ‘others’

regardless, you asked for the top 4 Artists, and to me that doesn’t equate to quantity being greater than quality.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

On ASM, roughly the same amount of work as  Saviuk, Leonardi,and Sal Buscema, which were all listed individually instead of being lumped as ‘others’

regardless, you asked for the top 4 Artists, and to me that doesn’t equate to quantity being greater than quality.

Wait.... I just looked up Charles Vess on Wikipedia. It says he drew one issue of ASM and one Spider-Man Graphic Novel (Spirits of the Earth). Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, Infamouspure22 said:

Hi why is Humberto Ramos not on the list? He's drawn more issues of ASM than multiple artists on the list.

Because looking at this art

1880371236_RamosASM1.thumb.jpg.a7f266db243b087d29a9801ee6b8cb26.jpg

inspires this reaction in many people, including myself:

giphy.gif

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Because looking at this art

1880371236_RamosASM1.thumb.jpg.a7f266db243b087d29a9801ee6b8cb26.jpg

inspires this reaction in many people, including myself:

giphy.gif

I will agree that cover is not my favorite image he’s drawn either.  But in terms of number of ASM issues drawn, number of Spidey verse characters created, relevant stories (even if not part of what most of us read) i think he should be on the list.

I also grew up in the 70s and am also a fan of every ASM artist since then with some more than others.  But someday, this generation who grew up reading and looking and appreciating Ramos art will replace us after we’re gone.

To each his own for sure but i guess if he’s excluded, should it be noted that there is a cutoff for this list w respect to the era from which the artist drew on ASM?

Maybe it should read “Rank ASM artists pre 2000”

38 minutes ago, Infamouspure22 said:

I will agree that cover is not my favorite image he’s drawn either.  But in terms of number of ASM issues drawn, number of Spidey verse characters created, relevant stories (even if not part of what most of us read) i think he should be on the list.

I also grew up in the 70s and am also a fan of every ASM artist since then with some more than others.  But someday, this generation who grew up reading and looking and appreciating Ramos art will replace us after we’re gone.

To each his own for sure but i guess if he’s excluded, should it be noted that there is a cutoff for this list w respect to the era from which the artist drew on ASM?

Nah just click other and put Ramos in there. Write in artist!!!!

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Didn’t Ramos draw the most issues of ASM of all time?

I don’t know about Ramos or  ASM.

But the man who tripled the out put of even Jim Mooney on ALL Spidey art, a man whose name shall not be mentioned, a man who has been 99% erased by ARTSOC....

Edited by grapeape

1 hour ago, Infamouspure22 said:

Yeah, to be voted for under 'Other'.  Don Heck's not on the list of nominated artists either, and I think Marie Severin had a hand in some of the cover designs.  Problem with compiling a list of artists to vote for, it's all too easy to forget a few names.  In any case, I just regard this topic as just a bit of fun.  If we wanted to talk about artists who made the BIGGEST contribution to the title, there's only one name . . . and it's that of Spidey's co-creator.  Without Ditko, we might not even be having this conversation.

Edited by The Voord