• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM Artists (poll)

Pick 4  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Your top four (4) Amazing Spider-Man artists:

• Steve DITKO
    • John ROMITA (Sr.)
    • Gil KANE
    • Todd McFARLANE
    • Mark BAGLEY
    • Erik LARSEN
    • John ROMITA (Jr.)
    • Ron FRENZ
    • Ross ANDRU
    • John BUSCEMA
    • Rick LEONARDI
    • Stuart IMMONEN
    • Mike ZECK
    • Mike DEODATO
    • Alex SAVIUK
    • Sal BUSCEMA
    • John BYRNE
    • Larry LIEBER
    • Jim MOONEY
    • OTHER

48 posts in this topic

My "Top 4" in order:

Romita Sr.- the quintessential Spidey artist for me.  I though his run was the best as far as establishing the character that I loved (and he drew the best looking girls)

Ditko - the original.  Great in his own right (I think his ASM Annual 1 art is among the best I've ever seen; especially the villain splash pages).  Not as "polished" an artist as JR Sr.  

McFarlane - re-defined the character and re-established "the bar" with regards to Spidey.  Everyone since has "copied" him.  

Kane - a worthy follow-up to JR Sr.  Nothing spectacular, but a solid "workhorse" artist who doesn't quite get the credit he deserves.  

I don't have any artwork from the above artists.  Only one I have on "the list" is some Jim Mooney (a decent artist).  Bagley turned out better than expected.  I'm not a huge fan of his work on Amazing, but he was a really nice pick for Marvel on Ultimate Spidey (especially when he was inked by Art Thibert).  

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

@The Voord @delekkerste @Bronty

All the stuff with the Goblin learning Spidey's secret identity, the MJ/Gwen Stacy stuff... stories that people consider 'definitive' Spider-Man... quite a bit of it happened post-Ditko

Sure, building and developing on all the structurally-sound groundwork laid by Ditko.  By the time Ditko left the book, those characters, and their interaction with Spidey/Parker could pretty much write themselves.  Osborne snr was always going to be revealed at some future point as being the Goblin.  Ditko himself said as much.  Learning Parker's ID may not have been Ditko's intent but to my mind, while giving the end-game a sensational storyline, it pretty much made it difficult to resurrect the baddie successfully ever again, imho.  MJW was a running-joke in the Ditko books and became an on-going joke when finally revealed (with all her weird and dated post-hippy dialogue, Daddy-O, you dig?).  Gwen was an ongoing Ditko character . . . who, like the Osborne, snr  Goblin before her, eventually got killed-off.  Depends what your idea of 'definitive' is, I suppose (killing-off major characters just to get a sensational storyline?).  Ditko defined ASM . . . others built upon his legacy (in some cases, f***ing things up along the way).

Edited by The Voord

39 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

The Voord secretly keeping a hit list of Ditko Naysayers.  Y'all just wait 'til holiday season is over. lol

Nah, don't have a problem in the world with artist preferences . . .  I'm just against people making a pitiful attempt at trying to re-write history to give those who followed a bigger credit than those who created and lead the way.  Romita, Snr was a brilliant artist, no argument from me there, but Ditko co-created the character and established pretty much everything that would follow.

You don't have to like Ditko's art . . . just give him the respect he deserves for the big part he played in shaping the title.

I guess that one' man's 'Very wise collector' is another man's deluded fool . . .

Edited by The Voord

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Nah, don't have a problem in the world with artist preferences . . .  I'm just against people making a pitiful attempt at trying to re-write history to give those who followed a bigger credit than those who created and lead the way.  Romita, Snr was a brilliant artist, no argument from me there, but Ditko co-created the character and established pretty much everything that would follow.

You don't have to like Ditko's art . . . just give him the respect he deserves for the big part he played in shaping the title.

I guess that one' man's 'Very wise collector' is another man's deluded fool . . .

Give em hell Terry! Ditko was, is and will always be the GOAT! Vodou posted a link for Ditko is Amazing for $58. Those in doubt should order one today. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

I have to ask buddy. Did you even put a Christmas tree up this year? Or did you just hang your ASM splash page In the living room with a string of lights around it?

D I T K O

FWIW, I voted for Ditko and that was it.

As for Romita, I didn't like Spider-man run, but not because he was a bad draftsman.

He's a perfectly competent artist and told a story well, but (and it's a big but) his PP constantly whined about his life while simultaneously being smarter than almost everyone in the world, more handsome that all but a handful of people, dating three of the best looking women to ever grace a comic (Gwen, MJ, and Felicia) and saving lives left and right.

Basically, JR drew the strip so beautifully that I suffered from cognitive dissonance between PP's whining and the life JR showed.

Just didn't and don't enjoy it.

Edited by alxjhnsn