• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Submission and Pressing?

13 posts in this topic

I'm about to send in my first comic book to be graded and I see the option that I can also have it pressed. Is this recommended? Since they can remove some imperfections without actually using any restoration on the book, will this increase my grade when they grade it? My book has a few very minor and small bends near the spine but nothing crazy. The book won't be graded in a different category or something if I have it pressed, correct? It would be like any normally graded/sealed comic?

Its all kind of subjective.

If cost is a factor to you, then you'd probably hope the increased value in grade will result in a price increase greater than the cost of the pressing.  But then you'd have to have a reasonable estimate of the grade and pricing with and without pressing to compare.  But then to do that you'd have to have at least a basic understanding of the flaws your comic has AND a basic understanding of what pressing can do.

But then you MIGHT also need to factor in the extra time it takes to press too.

Of course you can go as deep as you want into expected values and probabilities, time value of money, of course making sure you factor in all the relevant shipping, grading, insurance, pressing, invoice, packaging and other fees (like if you were shipping internationally).  And then of course EVERYONE's risk preferences and financial situations and collection goals are different, and those might even be different based on whether you intend to sell now or later, etc.  And that's only on your grading side, there might also be a million other factors if you're considering selling.

Of course just like anything else, you will make a better decision the more information and experience you have, and the more time you spend researching for yourself.  Likewise, when you're asking for help, it might make sense for you to provide as much of the above information as possible so some kind soul who wants to help can give you the most informed opinion.

good luck.

BUT to answer specifically some of your questions:  The book will be graded as any other book, no 'pressed' class, and CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration (assuming you haven't done other restoration).

Also there might be a service you can pay for where they pre-screen your book for defects that might be pressable, so you don't pay full freight if they don't think your book will improve with pressing.

Consider contacting CGC directly and asking customer service to walk you through the process and your options (of course recognizing they are in business to sell these services).

t

9 minutes ago, revat said:

Its all kind of subjective.

If cost is a factor to you, then you'd probably hope the increased value in grade will result in a price increase greater than the cost of the pressing.  But then you'd have to have a reasonable estimate of the grade and pricing with and without pressing to compare.  But then to do that you'd have to have at least a basic understanding of the flaws your comic has AND a basic understanding of what pressing can do.

But then you MIGHT also need to factor in the extra time it takes to press too.

Of course you can go as deep as you want into expected values and probabilities, time value of money, of course making sure you factor in all the relevant shipping, grading, insurance, pressing, invoice, packaging and other fees (like if you were shipping internationally).  And then of course EVERYONE's risk preferences and financial situations and collection goals are different, and those might even be different based on whether you intend to sell now or later, etc.  And that's only on your grading side, there might also be a million other factors if you're considering selling.

Of course just like anything else, you will make a better decision the more information and experience you have, and the more time you spend researching for yourself.  Likewise, when you're asking for help, it might make sense for you to provide as much of the above information as possible so some kind soul who wants to help can give you the most informed opinion.

good luck.

BUT to answer specifically some of your questions:  The book will be graded as any other book, no 'pressed' class, and CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration (assuming you haven't done other restoration).

Also there might be a service you can pay for where they pre-screen your book for defects that might be pressable, so you don't pay full freight if they don't think your book will improve with pressing.

Consider contacting CGC directly and asking customer service to walk you through the process and your options (of course recognizing they are in business to sell these services).

Thanks for the informative response. It's a small 16-page one-shot video game comic. I carefully took a lot at it at eye-level in the light and there isn't many creases/bends. Mostly the ones that are easily visible are along the seam of the back of the book next to the staples. This book is extremely rare, only 100 copies ever printed. There are no financial or time-constraint concerns so I think I should get it pressed since this book is not easy to come by. The pre-screen is an extra $30 so I will just get that as well just in case so I don't overpay for a service that I won't actually get.

47 minutes ago, Fireice989 said:

t

Thanks for the informative response. It's a small 16-page one-shot video game comic. I carefully took a lot at it at eye-level in the light and there isn't many creases/bends. Mostly the ones that are easily visible are along the seam of the back of the book next to the staples. This book is extremely rare, only 100 copies ever printed. There are no financial or time-constraint concerns so I think I should get it pressed since this book is not easy to come by. The pre-screen is an extra $30 so I will just get that as well just in case so I don't overpay for a service that I won't actually get.

yah if money and time aren't factors, its probably reasonable to press it.  Make sure the person you have press is reputable.  A bad press can definitely harm the book.

1 hour ago, revat said:

yah if money and time aren't factors, its probably reasonable to press it.  Make sure the person you have press is reputable.  A bad press can definitely harm the book.

Well I was just going to have CGC grade it and CCS press it using the online submission form. I'm assuming they're reputable, correct?

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Pressing wouldn't be a bad idea.

agree, looks like pressing would improve the grade.

wtf I hope this book isn't worth a lot....I had this book (hopefully it was a reprint) back in the 90's when the game came out to PS I got it from a kid I traded with and he gave me the book with it. I think I gave it away to a friend after reading it.... :facepalm: I am reading there are only 100 copies lol ooops.