• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEC 38

13 posts in this topic

I received the Tec 38 last week and was thinking about sending this copy to be restored if the eye appeal was misisng. Anyway, after seeing the copy, I thought that perhaps this book is not my ideal candidate for restoration. I called CGC in order to ascertain the defects. The problems are a three inch spine split on the botton, a two inch soine split on the top, and a 2 inch tear starting at the bottom staple to Robin's cape.

Here are the thoughts that crossed my mind:

1)If all the work needed was on the front cover, what could be the expected restored range?

2)Are certain restorers better with some defects than others?

detectivecomics38cgc3.0.jpg

Thanks

That book has fantastic eye appeal for a 3.0! takeit.gif

If I were going to keep it slabbed, then I'd just leave it alone. However, as I would likely want to break it out and handle it, those spine splits plus the tear would make me nervous. So, some tear seals with light reenforcement might be in order.

Any of the top-tier conservators that you see mentioned around here could handle that, no problem. I'm afraid I'd only be guessing if I gave you an estimate, though. I'd just pick one or two and give them a call, or e-mail w/scans.

I agree leave the book unrestored because it does have a fantastic looking cover and would likely sell in a heartbeat if you had to unbload it.

Ditto! thumbsup2.gif

That's a beauty for a 3.0. Unless your taking it out of the slab leave it be. Off-White pages on top of it all, very very nice book.

That would be an easy book to restore, but I wouldn't restore it if it were mine. It looks superb right now.

If you did restore it, you could probably get at least an 8.0 out of it and keep the restoration at the Moderate level because you're just sealing tears and maybe doing some tiny edge fills and minor color touch.

Great book. I think a few people here have said it all, but I'll just comment on this book as well. If it were mine I would leave it alone. You have a solid copy with nice eye appeal. Golden Age unrestored keys are not easy in a sense as many of them have had work. If it were falling apart then I could see restoring it, but otherwise leave it as is.