• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Potentail growth? Showcase 22 Or Silver Surfer 1?
3 3

38 posts in this topic

Which issue do you think would gain the most in 5 - 10 years?

Showcase 22 CGC 6.5

or

Silver Surfer 1 CGC 9.6

Looking at both issues.

I was thinking of upgrading my SS 1 CGC 9.2 to the 9.6. Then come tax return time might try for the Showcase 22. Or Vise Versa.

Thoughts?

I'm going to go with SS1 especially if you're looking at the 5 year window.  It's hard to predict 10 years out.  It's already had a big surge this last year but I think there's still room to grow.

Too bad you weren't having this debate 2 years ago when you could have latched onto a SS1 9.6 for as low as $4200.

While I'd consider the SC22 the much more important of the two comics, the price action recorded on GPA suggests a more complex picture for recent price appreciation.

Showcase #22 in cgc 6.5 appreciated in price from 2014 to the last recorded sale in 2018 from $5,500 to $8150, but all of that increase took place in the first few years, and since 2016 the price has actually declined.

Silver Surfer #1 in cgc 9.6 prices went from $4600 in 2013 to $7800 this year, and are higher now than they were 3 years ago.

So based on the recent past, it's hard to say with any confidence that one book will significantly outperform the other in the future.  In cases like that, my advice would be to buy the one that you'd most like to own.

Edited by namisgr

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

For their potential growth in value.

Among other reasons I don't like SS1 as a book with much "investment" potential left is that it's  a coat-tailer- meaning its value is dependent on another book- in this case FF 48- to pull it up in value.  

SC 22 stands on it's own, and from recent news, GL isn't going to be left on the shelf by DC for very much longer.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

For their potential growth in value.

Yes but the potential for growth in value is very very different for different reasons. 

This one is a no brained that 1st Hal has much more potential because SS 1 is only a 1st issue.

Im sorry it makes no sense...at least compare it to 1st appearance of SS.

I don’t know maybe I’m just crazy

8 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Yes but the potential for growth in value is very very different for different reasons. 

This one is a no brained that 1st Hal has much more potential because SS 1 is only a 1st issue.

We are all crazy. Haha.
I just both enjoy both characters, I buy - sell what I like. But seems SS 1 is climbing faster for some odd reason. But I enjoy Green Lantern also.
Just seams Silver Surfer is more popular right now causing demand.

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Among other reasons I don't like SS1 as a book with much "investment" potential left is that it's  a coat-tailer- meaning its value is dependent on another book- in this case FF 48- to pull it up in value.  

SC 22 stands on it's own, and from recent news, GL isn't going to be left on the shelf by DC for very much longer.  

-J.

I hope they do GL justice with a great movie.

13 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

We are all crazy. Haha.
I just both enjoy both characters, I buy - sell what I like. But seems SS 1 is climbing faster for some odd reason. But I enjoy Green Lantern also.
Just seams Silver Surfer is more popular right now causing demand.

I hope they do GL justice with a great movie.

Yea SS 1 has raised significantly and more steady and that’s because people know he will show up in the MCU.

Also those Marvel 1st issues always sell well.

Factor in also SS1 is a squad bound with a black cover and no easily found in very high grade. 

All that aside the showcase has much more potential as far as a “price cap”.

MCU is the main driving force behind the surge in these clash marvels and Warner Bros is just not delivering.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:38 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Like you, I would tend to think that this would be a no-brainer here with a 1st appearance from the late 50's, as opposed to only a 1st issue from the late 60's. (thumbsu

Yet, if you take a look at the CGC population census report, there's another 75 copies of SC 22 in higher grade plus another 33 copies in equivalent CGC 6.5 grade.  :whatthe:

The Silver Surfer 1, on the other hand, has only another 11 copies graded higher, plus another 41 copies in equivalent CGC 9.6 graded condition.  hm

Depending upon how the 2 particular copies present relative to grade, I would probably still most likely opt for the SC 22 myself.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine