• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Potentail growth? Showcase 22 Or Silver Surfer 1?
3 3

38 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, bpc3qh said:

I think that, in general, the SA DCs are primed for significant growth in the next few years. They've been underrated for too long.

I’ve said this for years and been wrong. I used to own a SC22, like the character, and still have no plans to buy another copy. With a finite pool of money, I’m putting my dollars into SA Marvel Keys.

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:
5 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

Wowza.... Silver Surfer is going strong!

ss.jpg

Yes, SS1 is going strong but THIS particular comic is an outlier.  The very next month an SS1 9.4 sold for $4500.

I still think for short term growth SS1 will outperform SC22

Yes, if CGC 9.4 graded copies of Silver Surfer are approaching 5-figures on a regular basis, I would definitely be tempted to put my copy up for auction.  :whee:

Since I was dumb enough not to keep a second copy when it first came out, definitely hard to sell this one off since it would break up my SS 1 - SS 18 run.  doh!

BTW:  Where did the SS 1 9.4 graded copy sell for $4,500 the following month?  ???

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, if CGC 9.4 graded copies of Silver Surfer are approaching 5-figures on a regular basis, I would definitely be tempted to put my copy up for auction.  :whee:

Since I was dumb enough not to keep a second copy when it first came out, definitely hard to sell this one off since it would break up my SS 1 - SS 18 run.  doh!

BTW:  Where did the SS 1 9.4 graded copy sell for $4,500 the following month?  ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Surfer-1-CGC-9-4-1968-2066041001-/133233063009?hash=item1f054f3461%3Ag%3ASvoAAOSwnhpdxPN~&nma=true&si=elVk9uTL6z4vcd%2BVJeZzCZ%2Ftcmo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I think this is the one he is talking about.

A guy with only 20 feedback. The last three things sold from him was two cookie jars and a set of decorations.

So who knows????

Everything about it screams fake sale to me.

Edited by Stingrayiii

On 12/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, Stingrayiii said:

Wowza.... Silver Surfer is going strong!

ss.jpg

i won this book. i decided i had to have it and initially bid around 8k (including premium), sure that it would win it. at the last minute i raised it to 9k (with premium) and got pushed all the way. Because it has white pages i know at least one other collector also with a 9.4 WP fetish like me, who pursued it. but i did see a nice 9.6 for sale (not white pages) on feebay a month or two back for a bit less than i paid for this 9.4. so as gadzukes said, this is an outlier sale, for now. still, i am confident that this book has a rosy future. either way, it's one of my all time favorite covers. in case its not obvious, i'm picking this over showcase 22. DC SA keys have only disappointed in terms of value growth in the last 6 years or so, at least compared to marvel. maybe things will turn around for them. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i won this book. i decided i had to have it and initially bid around 8k (including premium), sure that it would win it. at the last minute i raised it to 9k (with premium) and got pushed all the way. Because it has white pages i know at least one other collector also with a 9.4 WP fetish like me, who pursued it. but i did see a nice 9.6 for sale (not white pages) on feebay a month or two back for a bit less than i paid for this 9.4. so as gadzukes said, this is an outlier sale, for now. still, i am confident that this book has a rosy future. either way, it's one of my all time favorite covers. in case its not obvious, i'm picking this over showcase 22. DC SA keys have only disappointed in terms of value growth in the last 6 years or so, at least compared to marvel. maybe things will turn around for them. 

While I think you overpaid for this book, it is gorgeous, and the white pages are certainly a premium.  You just had the misfortune of getting in a bidding war with another collector who wanted it.

I absolutely agree with your statement that this comic has a rosy future.  In 5 years I'm betting your $9000 investment will look like a deal.

I had a 9.4 a few years back and I really have NO idea why I let it go.  SS1 is one of my favorite all time books, both inside (great story) and out.  I love SS4 too.

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I think you got a great deal, you just can't find high grade SS1 out there very often. I will most likely go with SS1.

16 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Because it has white pages i know at least one other collector also with a 9.4 WP fetish like me, who pursued it.

By any chance, was his name JayDog because I heard he's got quite a bug in his undies about White pages on a book?  lol

7 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

@Sweet Lou 14 has a thang for 9.4's...maybe that's who he's referring to?

the other collector is actually a boardie but he pulled out of this auction before it got that high. i dont know who caused it to go so high. heritage is also legally allowed to shill bid their own stuff since they are in texas, so it could even have been something fishy like that. all i know is that i willingly overpaid somewhat for this book and i'm okay with it. i do plan to hold it long term. 

3 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the other collector is actually a boardie but he pulled out of this auction before it got that high. i dont know who caused it to go so high. heritage is also legally allowed to shill bid their own stuff since they are in texas, so it could even have been something fishy like that. all i know is that i willingly overpaid somewhat for this book and i'm okay with it. i do plan to hold it long term. 

Wait, what? Please elaborate...I'm ignorant to this statement.

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Wait, what? Please elaborate...I'm ignorant to this statement.

theres a tread somewhere on the boards about it. i'll let you find it. apparently in texas the laws are different so shill bidding is not illegal, unlike in many other states like california. it might have been a feebay shill bidding thread in comics general...

7 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

theres a tread somewhere on the boards about it. i'll let you find it. apparently in texas the laws are different so shill bidding is not illegal, unlike in many other states like california. it might have been a feebay shill bidding thread in comics general...

Shill bidding undermines the integrity of any auction.  I know it happens on ebay, but I don't think Heritage would want that sort of reputation.  I suppose it happens though.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Shill bidding undermines the integrity of any auction.  I know it happens on ebay, but I don't think Heritage would want that sort of reputation.  I suppose it happens though.

its on page 37 at least where some boardies mentioned this law in texas, esp @Robot Man