• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited collection of Silver Age comics...
2 2

48 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, juniperpt said:

Thank you Cherami for your initial post and to all those replied with helpful suggestions on how to manage an inherited comic collection.  
Cherami took my thoughts right out of my mind and couldn't have said it better. I am an old Newbie in a similar boat.  
I inherited my older brother's collection of 1950's comics which unfortunately are in bad shape.  And somehow I have been able to hold on to my collection of early to mid-1960s comics through the many house moves over the years. 
These comics may or may not have any value.  But were well loved; read and re-read with buddies and family, after school and on rainy Saturday afternoons.  They hold precious memories of good times in the neighborhood. 
So now in the process of downsizing and have come to this website for help.  From what I read it looks like I have some work ahead of me. But it will be enjoyable work, flipping through pages of my youth.
I am truly impressed at the breadth and depth of knowledge that is shared on these pages.  And the willingness and kindness of complete strangers to help those in need of direction.
Thank you, much appreciated!

Welcome to the boards.  If we can help just ask.

Welcome to the boards, you've already gotten a lot of great advice, but here are some thoughts;

1- It can take YEARS to learn how to properly grade and even then it's subjective.   But when you're talking some of the books at this value level accurate or at least honest grading is going to be essential.   With little grading experience there is no way I'd go the eBay route.  

2- The whole thing comes down to how fast do you want to move these?   If your wife is complaining about them taking up space ask her if she'd be as upset if these were boxes of Tesla stock-- because that's what you're sitting on.   Buy a used Overstreet guide off eBay from say 15 years ago or so and then buy a new one and show her the data.   Today's $15k collection COULD be worth $50-$60k in that many years.   It's ESSENTIAL that you get these all bagged and boarded.   I'd go with Mylar sleeves for everything.  It's more expensive but you won't have to change them out as often.   NO jamming books into these bags or sleeves, there are multiple sizes-- get the right ones-- Super Gold, Gold, Silver, Modern, Current, etc.  Hot Flips is on the boards and they have all of this.

3- If you want to sell quickly and not get screwed, I reach out to Bob, Dale, Ted at Superworldcomics and Gary Dolgoff for quotes.   Most of these guys will travel to you (I KNOW Ted will) and they are honest and reputable.

Good luck!

Edited by AndyFish

On 2/14/2020 at 1:09 PM, juniperpt said:

Thank you Cherami for your initial post and to all those replied with helpful suggestions on how to manage an inherited comic collection.  
Cherami took my thoughts right out of my mind and couldn't have said it better. I am an old Newbie in a similar boat.  
I inherited my older brother's collection of 1950's comics which unfortunately are in bad shape.  And somehow I have been able to hold on to my collection of early to mid-1960s comics through the many house moves over the years. 
These comics may or may not have any value.  But were well loved; read and re-read with buddies and family, after school and on rainy Saturday afternoons.  They hold precious memories of good times in the neighborhood. 
So now in the process of downsizing and have come to this website for help.  From what I read it looks like I have some work ahead of me. But it will be enjoyable work, flipping through pages of my youth.
I am truly impressed at the breadth and depth of knowledge that is shared on these pages.  And the willingness and kindness of complete strangers to help those in need of direction.
Thank you, much appreciated!

:foryou:

im really sorry for your loss that can be very tough but lemme say the comics that I can see you have just wow thats crazy most people spend years to have comics like that and every single comic you posted there you should get graded if you wanna send some more pics of other comics you can I can help but if its looking like the stuff you have you are on a good path
sorry for my run on sentences im on my phone

On 2/5/2020 at 8:01 PM, Beige said:

So what happened?

Did we see any nice pics of the 'key' books? (yes I know there are a few in 1st post but he had over 2000 to go through yet...)

Who was the lucky dealer who got the books?

Enquiring minds and all that....

Bob Storms 😄

9 hours ago, Cherami said:

Bob Storms 😄

Glad you took my advice in those PM's  :foryou: