• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage Question
2 2

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DrawerBox said:

First of all, I question the assumption that the best way to preserve a comic is to have it graded and slabbed.  All that is done to protect a slabbed comic is they insert a couple of sheets of acid absorbing microchamber paper.  You can purchase those and insert them yourself.  I suppose there is some benefit to being encased in a rigid hard shell casing, but you can purchase those as well.  if you are already using acid free (NOT just coated!) boards and Mylites and avoiding packing them too tightly you have done a lot.  As long as the bags aren't too snug due to the thickness of the annuals, it sounds like you have been very prudent.

I consider storing them in oversize Golden Age bags to be a poor suggestion.  Oversize bags introduces the possibility of the book rotating slightly in the bag such that the corners become blunted.  The best advice is to ignore the advice of strangers who may not have been collecting long enough to know what effect their suggestions have over the long term.  The Internet is plagued with far too many blogs and videos from collectors who have very little experience in long term preservation.

Another suggestion in this thread that I question is laying them flat.  This is only practical if no weight is ever stacked on top of the book.  Nothing will cause a curl in the spine faster than weight being stacked on top.  And even then you have to consider how you are going to protect them from dust.

I am curious to know what caused the compression you mentioned at the bottom of the spine.  I have never encountered that and it seems like it would have to be due to some localized type of pressure.

My collection started almost 60 years ago, long before bags, boards, slabbing, and even long boxes were invented.  Most of my books are still in 9.+ condition with only very slight yellowing.  I have learned over the years that most of the damage that occurs is self inflicted or from the environment, i.e. storing them where there is to much heat, humidity or pests or other forms of carelessness.  Not to say an acid free backing board and a Mylite to keep the board flat against the comic is a bad idea to prevent bending.  But all of that expense and effort can be wasted in a room that is too hot.  To quote the great Walt Kelly's Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

At the bottom of this page is an article that discusses what really damages comics long term and is often overlooked by collectors:

www.CollectionDrawer.com

Rich

I'd never lay more than about 20 to 25 flat.  Weight is minimal.

Environment is a huge factor, cool and dry is best.

There's also an argument to leave books alone.   Swapping out bags and boards regularly can be dangerous.  It's pretty easy to do damage when you're rebagging and boarding a lot of books.

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

My pleasure,it's not often I can help lol 

Welcome to the boards.Great place here,it's full of hundreds of years of combined expertise-I learn something new almost everyday-and can be a lot of fun.

130 boxes!Looking forward to seeing some more posts,sure you've some great stuff and stories.

Jimmers

Thanks Jimmers.  I’m one of those older (notice I didn’t say old) dogs that can be taught new tricks  the minute you think you know it all is when it’s time to dig that 6 foot hole.   This seems like a great place to hang, interact with fellow collectors and comic lovers, and learn.   I’m looking forward to definitely spending more time here.   Thanks again.  

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'd never lay more than about 20 to 25 flat.  Weight is minimal.

Environment is a huge factor, cool and dry is best.

There's also an argument to leave books alone.   Swapping out bags and boards regularly can be dangerous.  It's pretty easy to do damage when you're rebagging and boarding a lot of books.

Since 2011 I have undertaken a project to convert my entire collection to gerber mylite 2 bags and acid free boards taped with acid free tape in yellow (ugh) acid free boxes.   I’m about 4000-5000 books away from being done and never having to remove a yellowing bag from my comics ever again.   It’s Been expensive and time consuming but soon I will have an entire collection  in bags and boards that should last a couple generations unless my kids dump them to the nearest comic store.  Then I’ll come back and haunt them!   Lol

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, that's absolutely amazing and it sounds like a ton of of books that you have there.  :applause:

Just wondering, do you generally have multiples of some issues or was you mainly just one copy per issue type of collector?  hm

Surprised that you haven't been tempted to sell some of them yet, as from the sounds of it, there must be a lot of in-demand high dollar value books included in there.  Especially since you seem to have really prided yourself on storage in order to preserve them in as perfect a condition as possible.  :takeit:

Thanks Lou.  I do not collect duplicates and go after keys and runs of favorite titles.   I haven’t been tempted to sell yet as I’m still in buying mode.  I was thinking rather than dying with 24000+ books and haunting my kids when they unload them for a steal, if I am fortunate to make it into my 80s and be healthy (I’m not even 60 yet so still some collecting years ahead), I’m thinking of doing what I call reverse collecting and slowly sell lots of books and give the proceeds to my kids or grandkids assuming I have them by then.   Lol

6 hours ago, DrawerBox said:

First of all, I question the assumption that the best way to preserve a comic is to have it graded and slabbed.  All that is done to protect a slabbed comic is they insert a couple of sheets of acid absorbing microchamber paper.  You can purchase those and insert them yourself.  I suppose there is some benefit to being encased in a rigid hard shell casing, but you can purchase those as well.  if you are already using acid free (NOT just coated!) boards and Mylites and avoiding packing them too tightly you have done a lot.  As long as the bags aren't too snug due to the thickness of the annuals, it sounds like you have been very prudent.

I consider storing them in oversize Golden Age bags to be a poor suggestion.  Oversize bags introduces the possibility of the book rotating slightly in the bag such that the corners become blunted.  The best advice is to ignore the advice of strangers who may not have been collecting long enough to know what effect their suggestions have over the long term.  The Internet is plagued with far too many blogs and videos from collectors who have very little experience in long term preservation.

Another suggestion in this thread that I question is laying them flat.  This is only practical if no weight is ever stacked on top of the book.  Nothing will cause a curl in the spine faster than weight being stacked on top.  And even then you have to consider how you are going to protect them from dust.

I am curious to know what caused the compression you mentioned at the bottom of the spine.  I have never encountered that and it seems like it would have to be due to some localized type of pressure.

My collection started almost 60 years ago, long before bags, boards, slabbing, and even long boxes were invented.  Most of my books are still in 9.+ condition with only very slight yellowing.  I have learned over the years that most of the damage that occurs is self inflicted or from the environment, i.e. storing them where there is to much heat, humidity or pests or other forms of carelessness.  Not to say an acid free backing board and a Mylite to keep the board flat against the comic is a bad idea to prevent bending.  But all of that expense and effort can be wasted in a room that is too hot.  To quote the great Walt Kelly's Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

At the bottom of this page is an article that discusses what really damages comics long term and is often overlooked by collectors:

www.CollectionDrawer.com

Rich

Hey Rich,

many thanks for the thoughtful response.  It seems as if our storage and archiving methods are aligned well.   I think under full disclosure what may have happened to that X-men book is when I was much younger in the late 70s I tended to pack my boxes tighter and of course used regular bags and boards so that may have caused the slight compression at the bottom of the spine.  Nowadays my comics are all packed do they don’t have too much room in the box to shift and crush comics on one end or the other while not being overly tight.   If I can thumb through the issues with relative ease the box is packed just right.   All my books that I bought except for the ones purchased from eBay or at my comic shop or at conventions are 9.0 or above.   Many would be 9.6 to 9.8.   I feel because of the slight compression on that X-men is grade it honestly at a 9.2.   My lowest grade is a 2.5 FF 5 I bought at a really great price.   The majority of the eBay or external purchases oldies are upper mid to higher grade.   And I agree with you about heeding advice especially from the videos on YouTube.   This guy got me thinking and worried me about my storage method for the square bound books but like you, I thought it counter intuitive to store them in larger bags as they can shift.   I cane here desiring educated suggestions and I’m glad I did.   This seems like a nice place for people like me to visit frequently.   Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Fred P said:

Since 2011 I have undertaken a project to convert my entire collection to gerber mylite 2 bags and acid free boards taped with acid free tape in yellow (ugh) acid free boxes.   I’m about 4000-5000 books away from being done and never having to remove a yellowing bag from my comics ever again.   It’s Been expensive and time consuming but soon I will have an entire collection  in bags and boards that should last a couple generations unless my kids dump them to the nearest comic store.  Then I’ll come back and haunt them!   Lol

Just FYI - the comics turn the bags yellow due to comics off-gassing.  I've had 20 year old bags of bags that were never used and they are crystal clear.

Also, the worse the storage environment, the quicker the bags turn yellow.  I have bags that have been on comics for 30+ years that haven't yellowed much at all.

However, I believe my collection has likely been in ideal storage environments since I purchased most books - the cool, dry, high desert environment of eastern Oregon, western Idaho.

I think the chasing of archival supplies is not only expensive, but frequently unnecessary, depending on the storage environment.  With that being said, and probably against my better judgment, I am doing the same as you with my expensive early DCs and Marvels and specialty collections - putting them in Fullback / Mylite2 combos with microchamber paper, and storing them in those blasted acid-free boxes.

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

However, I believe my collection has likely been in ideal storage environments since I purchased most books - the cool, dry, high desert environment of eastern Oregon, western Idaho.

Just to follow up - despite being in cheap plastic bags and carppy backing boards, whenever I get in to my original collection of newsstand purchases to check for possible upgrades, the stuff I bought back in the 70s always is so much whiter, brighter, and with eye-popping colors than 99% of the books I get in the mail today. 

I often have to make choices over technical grade vs. eye appeal, with eye appeal winning a lot of those battles.

Edited by lizards2

14 hours ago, Fred P said:

Thanks Buttock.  I realize slabs are not foolproof and I wouldn't be ignorant enough to hang it on a sun facing wall or leave it outside in the elements.   I was just wondering if what this guy (I love comics on YouTube) knows what he is talking about when he suggests buying oversize bags (Gold age size for silver comics as an example)  to mitigate spine damage to square bound books.   Based on the replies soar, it doesn't seem that anyone knows.   If someone has direct experience and success I'd value that opinion.   

This is going to be a function of how thick the book is.  For a 64-80 page standard annual, as long as you aren't squeezing the book or moving it around a bunch you should be fine.  If the board is bowing, you're probably too tight.  Now will that cause damage?  That depends on the qualities of the book itself.  But as a general rule, a silver age or smaller book should be just fine on a Gerber Silver/Gold size mylite2 with a fullback.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Just FYI - the comics turn the bags yellow due to comics off-gassing.  I've had 20 year old bags of bags that were never used and they are crystal clear.

Also, the worse the storage environment, the quicker the bags turn yellow.  I have bags that have been on comics for 30+ years that haven't yellowed much at all.

I think the chasing of archival supplies is not only expensive, but frequently unnecessary, depending on the storage environment.  With that being said, and probably against my better judgment, I am doing the same as you with my expensive early DCs and Marvels and specialty collections - putting them in Fullback / Mylite2 combos with microchamber paper, and storing them in those blasted acid-free boxes.

1 hour ago, buttock said:

This is going to be a function of how thick the book is.  For a 64-80 page standard annual, as long as you aren't squeezing the book or moving it around a bunch you should be fine.  If the board is bowing, you're probably too tight.  Now will that cause damage?  That depends on the qualities of the book itself.  But as a general rule, a silver age or smaller book should be just fine on a Gerber Silver/Gold size mylite2 with a fullback.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think mine yellow quicker since I reside in the southeast and it’s more humid here than the high western desert.   I do what I can.  I store them in dark special built closets in a finished basement that has air conditioning.   I place damp rid in each closet and change them regularly and I run a dehumidifier in the summer months.   I should note the oldest books in my collection spent the first decade of their life in the northeast before I moved south in the early/mid 80s.   Like I said I do all I can short of having expensive climate control added.   Maybe my retirement house? I can dream can’t I?   Thanks again for the feedback.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

After reviewing all the suggestions I think the key for me is Managing how tight the comics are packed in a box.  I think small boxes are also optimal to avoid damage from shifting weight that can occur with loosely packed long boxes.  Hopefully one day I’ll be rid of the longer boxes.

As others (buttock) have said, the biggest factor is the environment in which books are stored.  Remember, the "greatest collection" of all (the Church books) were not bagged & boarded.   They just sat in Edgar Church's basement, stacked on top of one another for years and years in a cool, dry basement in Colorado.  To this day, these books remain some of the best examples of a particular copy.  

Slabs are not the "best" way to store books. Yes, they provide great protection to the books (under ideal storage conditions).  But, a mylite 2 with full back will provide the same "protection".  A slabbed book, stored in an attic (hot for 6 mos, cold for 6 mos) will degrade regardless of the method of storage.  The best thing you can do is have your books stored at a consistent temp, humidity, etc...

On 12/22/2019 at 11:23 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hi Fred

There are a lot of different storage solutions and what you use will depend on the value of your books, how much you want to spend and how fussy you are about your books. 

I'd suggest you store a book in a mylar without board and then store that mylar in a larger mylar with a half back or a full back at the back.  That would isolate that book from the backing board while still giving the book backing board protection.  If you don't mind not looking at the book you could create a sandwich with a second backing board on top of the comic - that would protect the book on both sides.  I'd also suggest you use the same size bags and boards for all your good books no matter the era so they line up nicely in a box and you're less likely to sustain long term damage from a smaller bag and board falling out of alignment and pushing against another book.  I'd also suggest that you store books horizontally in small piles on a shelf rather than store books in boxes.  I've seen too many books sustain damage in a box when books get out of alignment with a bunch of books pressing against them.

Hi Fred

There are a lot of different storage solutions and what you use will depend on the value of your books, how much you want to spend and how fussy you are about your books. 

I'd suggest you store a book in a mylar without board and then store that mylar in a larger mylar with a half back or a full back at the back.  That would isolate that book from the backing board while still giving the book backing board protection.  If you don't mind not looking at the book you could create a sandwich with a second backing board on top of the comic - that would protect the book on both sides.  I'd also suggest you use the same size bags and boards for all your good books no matter the era so they line up nicely in a box and you're less likely to sustain long term damage from a smaller bag and board falling out of alignment and pushing against another book.  I'd also suggest that you store books horizontally in small piles on a shelf rather than store books in boxes.  I've seen too many books sustain damage in a box when books get out of alignment with a bunch of books pressing against them.

Hi Fred

I think you need to rethink your storage method. Trapping the comic in a bag by itself isn’t ideal or a good idea for long term storage. You’re defeating half the purpose of having a halfback/fullback or comparable backing board in with the comic. It’s made to both absorb and offset the chemical processes that lead to the decay of books. Ideally you will also want microchamber paper as well. 

Theres a great thread on here titled Are Acid Free Backing Boards Acid Free Lets PH Test To Find Out. It’s an informative and entertaining read. There’s a lot of accurate info in there on storage written by people who know what they’re talking about.