• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optimistic Pricing
1 1

135 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Grant Turner said:

I anticipate that plot point will be readjusted again in the future, so someone may or may not get 10k for it now, but won’t get 1/2 that 10 years from now

No Way!!!

Captain America is still dead.

So's Superman.

And Iron Fist.

And Bucky.

And Jean Grey

And Jean Grey again.

And Magneto.

And Moon Knight.

And Professor X.

And Wolverine.

And Nightcrawler.

And Colossus.

And Batman's back is broken 4 EVAH!!! 

And And And.....you've got to have just fallen fresh off the Comic Turnip Truck™ to lay a premium on these pages as being anything but a pub stunt. 

4 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

I've read the issue and still think a $10K ask is overly ambitious.

For those wondering: 

Well, he's not going to admit that it's a stunt, right? 

It is funny that the guy who made his bones on retconning says there won't be no retconning. lol 

Edited by comix4fun

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, he's not going to admit that it's a stunt, right? 

It is funny that the guy who made his bones on retconning says there won't be no retconning. lol 

Obviously, he doesn't know what hero he's dealing with.

Edited by Doc McCoy

I think a conversation on what is “key” art would be interesting. I have a hard time believing that Superman piece will be considered key in 5-10 years, but how then does a modern collector go about collecting key art for a character so old? Batman is an interesting case where popular stories make the art “key.” I haven’t seen a similar effect for Superman, but I’m admittedly very unfamiliar with the character’s market. 

8 hours ago, Varanis said:

I think a conversation on what is “key” art would be interesting. I have a hard time believing that Superman piece will be considered key in 5-10 years, but how then does a modern collector go about collecting key art for a character so old? Batman is an interesting case where popular stories make the art “key.” I haven’t seen a similar effect for Superman, but I’m admittedly very unfamiliar with the character’s market. 

Personally, I think that only rarely does a storyline justify a premium over the art (although quality sequencing is part of the art itself which does deserve a premium). Is this storyline the next Watchmen? The next Killing Joke? Probably not. Eventually, most of those storylines will be forgotten by the next collector generations and the pricing will go with it. There will be a Next Final Crisis on Infinite Earths.

But 10k for a storyline pair of pencil pages? No way that is worth a gamble; and even if this is a 1 in a million moonshot that works, odds are it is part of the other 999,999.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:42 PM, Drummy said:

Those legs in the left panel kill me.

Plus one.  Like 99.99% of earth's male population I am a big fan of Lee's rendition of ninja Psylocke (even though personally I prefer armoured Psylocke by Silvestri or the Lady Mandarin version by Lee).  Yet I have always found that particular panel grotesque.  I wonder, what was Lee thinking? He is normally quite respectful of anatomy, albeit in a teen-ager friendly way.  Maybe it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

Plus one.  Like 99.99% of earth's male population I am a big fan of Lee's rendition of ninja Psylocke (even though personally I prefer armoured Psylocke by Silvestri or the Lady Mandarin version by Lee).  Yet I have always found that particular panel grotesque.  I wonder, what was Lee thinking? He is normally quite respectful of anatomy, albeit in a teen-ager friendly way.  Maybe it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

Uncredited Rob Liefeld fill in on the left panel?  (shrug)

7 hours ago, Carlo M said:

This in no way denigrates the inker, but these later issues were penciled much looser because of deadlines, and Art Thibert (the fill in inker) was not quite familiar enough with some of Jim's subtleties to be able to pull it all together.  Not sure I could have done any better myself because I'd only been inking Jim for a couple years at this point.  These issues were pretty rushed, so it's kind of a miracle that it generally looks as good as it does.  But every once in a while a panel like that would slip through the cracks.