• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optimistic Pricing
1 1

135 posts in this topic

While we have a thread about attempted flipping, I haven't seen one generally about pieces where the prices seem out of touch with the market. They make me wonder if either there is something special about the piece that I missed, or maybe it is just a case of "what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained"? I am also not talking about things that are little over market, or nutsy stuff you sometimes see on eBay (or those brothers who shall go nameless), either.

Example: This was listed recently with a price of $11,000. It is from Book of Magic 3 and is by Charles Vess. I like it: good pedigree, nicely done, lots of important characters. I gather it is a gouache, but I am not sure. It does not blow me away, but I do like it.

But $11,000? In 2016, A page by Vess from Sandman 75 went for about $3,500, although, this one is better.

I would like some other opinions. And if anyone has seen something they also have questions about, feel free to add them to the thread. 

Charles Vess Books of Magic 3 feat Sandman Comic Art

I've been noticing more pie in the sky pricing as well. We all saw that Preacher page listed at 13k. 

And yeah, we can move on but why not talk about it the phenomenon? 

I assume it's either someone looking for a sucker or only being willing to part with something at an outlandish price. 

5 minutes ago, Kohei said:

I've been noticing more pie in the sky pricing as well. We all saw that Preacher page listed at 13k. 

And yeah, we can move on but why not talk about it the phenomenon? 

I assume it's either someone looking for a sucker or only being willing to part with something at an outlandish price. 

Someone made the mistake of letting the owner  know it’s a piece they’ve waited their whole life for. Their dad, mom, auntie....now passed away bought them that comic when they were in grade school...

or they tried to bid and the computer froze....and so on.

The owner now seller has responded with “empathy” and thus the tough luck take it or leave it ransom.

Merry Christmas 

Sounds like I’m bitter but I’m not. If you own it to you can value it for whatever you want.

Sometimes sharing what a piece means to you  will move the owner to release it and sometimes at a price both sides can be happy with.

Or greed rears it’s ugly head and....

I don't know, $11,000 isn't stupid money for some people. 

What's the difference between 3 and 11 thousand?

Just a number.

If they are buying and selling original comic art, 

collectors in the open market with the internet 

will decide what's best for them.

Make an offer!

David

ok, I'll play.  This one seems nutty, and there is minimal OA.  I'm also one of the biggest Red Son OA fans out there and I dont think I would pay 1/10th the price. (it doesn't help that it's not clear what are faxes vs. OA, but even if its as all OA the price is optimistic)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archive-of-Superman-Red-Son-Drawings-and-Faxes-Johnson-Millar/333385648936?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Malvin

Edited by malvin

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

While we have a thread about attempted flipping, I haven't seen one generally about pieces where the prices seem out of touch with the market. They make me wonder if either there is something special about the piece that I missed, or maybe it is just a case of "what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained"? I am also not talking about things that are little over market, or nutsy stuff you sometimes see on eBay (or those brothers who shall go nameless), either.

Example: This was listed recently with a price of $11,000. It is from Book of Magic 3 and is by Charles Vess. I like it: good pedigree, nicely done, lots of important characters. I gather it is a gouache, but I am not sure. It does not blow me away, but I do like it.

But $11,000? In 2016, A page by Vess from Sandman 75 went for about $3,500, although, this one is better.

I would like some other opinions. And if anyone has seen something they also have questions about, feel free to add them to the thread. 

I am fairly new to this and Vess is out of my wheelhouse all together (although I do know there are a lot of sandman fans out there) so do not be offended by my question here. If the page you mentioned went for 3500 in 2016, 4 years ago, is that the most recent comp you can find? and you say this one is better... what do you think a reasonable number for it would be? the market has seemed to change quite a bit in these last 4 years (that ASM 300 page in the recent comiclinc comes to mind).

No denying it's a nice page and a fantastic Morpheus, but some rando page from a forgotten book of an unremarkable series. Meh. Then again, people are willing to throw their money away on $1k Jim Lee sketchcards, so anything is possible I guess.

Edited by jimmy020889

1 hour ago, jimmy020889 said:

No denying it's a nice page and a fantastic Morpheus, but some rando page from a forgotten book of an unremarkable series. Meh. Then again, when people are willing to throw their money away on $1k Jim Lee sketchcards, so anything is possible I guess.

While not specifically commenting on the pricing of this piece, If someone is in the market for Sandman artwork by one of the best remembered artists from that series I would doubt that Books of Magic has either been forgotten or considered unremarkable. That's especially true given that it's a story penned by Gaiman which is not to discounted in calculating the value or desirability of the artwork from it.  Vess painting Morpheus on a page Gaiman wrote....with Cain and Abel thrown in for a nostalgic tug on the memories of DC horror makes for something special even if it's not from the main Sandman title. Of course I agree that being from Books of Magic instead of Sandman is going to have a limiting factor on price and how many would chase it. 

11 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Thanks for the insight. While I have no reason to defend the piece as it’s the only appearance of Sandman in Books of Magic, the price was set by the consignor. Don’t like the price? Move on.

I deliberately did not mention you were the listing seller, but since you brought it up, yes, the seller’s demand for price setting is a good reason why it is so high. But that is not a reason to ignore the fact it does not seem to be supported by the market and I wanted to open up that discussion. The fact that the Sandman is not in his own book usually reduces value, because that is where people want to see itheir leads. Unrealistic pricing is bad for the buyers, who don’t buy, as well as the sellers. So bringing it up helps everyone. 

Edited by Rick2you2

10 hours ago, grapeape said:

Someone made the mistake of letting the owner  know it’s a piece they’ve waited their whole life for. Their dad, mom, auntie....now passed away bought them that comic when they were in grade school...

or they tried to bid and the computer froze....and so on.

The owner now seller has responded with “empathy” and thus the tough luck take it or leave it ransom.

Merry Christmas 

So you agree the price seems way too high?

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

While not specifically commenting on the pricing of this piece, If someone is in the market for Sandman artwork by one of the best remembered artists from that series I would doubt that Books of Magic has either been forgotten or considered unremarkable. That's especially true given that it's a story penned by Gaiman which is not to discounted in calculating the value or desirability of the artwork from it.  Vess painting Morpheus on a page Gaiman wrote....with Cain and Abel thrown in for a nostalgic tug on the memories of DC horror makes for something special even if it's not from the main Sandman title. Of course I agree that being from Books of Magic instead of Sandman is going to have a limiting factor on price and how many would chase it. 

Why not just comment on the pricing?

9 hours ago, vodou said:

Anthony’s is selling p. 17 from issue  395 for $299.  Not signed, nicer page I think.

Edited by Rick2you2

8 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I am fairly new to this and Vess is out of my wheelhouse all together (although I do know there are a lot of sandman fans out there) so do not be offended by my question here. If the page you mentioned went for 3500 in 2016, 4 years ago, is that the most recent comp you can find? and you say this one is better... what do you think a reasonable number for it would be? the market has seemed to change quite a bit in these last 4 years (that ASM 300 page in the recent comiclinc comes to mind).

As the OP, I did ask that question about pricing which you asked me. To answer another of your questions, I picked the closest comp I could find to post. Vess is a lot cheaper in other series, covers are cheaper, and even his other painting is a lot cheaper. Also, not everything goes up these days, like Barry Windsor Smith, and while the page is more interesting than a traditional 6 panel, not a helluva lot. I am a big fan of clever border designs, where there is a lot of material to cram onto a page, and this one is not special. Nicely handled, but not special. Personally, I don’t add much value to a source, like ASM, except for origin or special issues, and this isn’t one of them.
So while I really do like it, I would not put it on my “to die for” list. For me, it would be a buy but at a much lower price point. Much lower. Hence, this post.

11 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

First appearance of Harry Potter page?  I'm thinking Donnelly school of selling  . . .