• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optimistic Pricing
1 1

135 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Just to echo, while I don’t follow Vess or Sandman art, I have an acquaintance interested in Sandman Vess pages, and 15k for a Sandman 75 page (featuring Morpheus) isn’t out of the question. Morpheus pages from 19 go up from there (20k+). Your page has Goldie, the brothers, young Harry Potter, and Phantom Stranger. With some iconic Morpheus shots. 7-9k makes sense, and if it’s a grail, a few thousand might be a hurdle worth tackling. 

Sometimes when I see “grail” prices, I have to pass and accept it wasn’t a grail for me, but will find a home in someone else’s collection. 

^This.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:08 AM, comix4fun said:

Because, while I've enjoyed Sandman over the years, and noticed what many pieces have sold for and how the market has exploded exponentially in the last few years I don't think I can tell if this is a modest or immodest premium attached to it. 

Sandman art is experiencing a “TV show coming out soon” speculation bubble. It genuinely deserves a premium for being high quality and related to a beloved and respected comic series. But not at this rate of increase. 

21 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Sandman art is experiencing a “TV show coming out soon” speculation bubble. It genuinely deserves a premium for being high quality and related to a beloved and respected comic series. But not at this rate of increase. 

That's possible I guess. I had not really heard that in the circles within which I travel though.

From the folks I know spending 5 figures and up for pages in private transactions over the last 3-5 years I don't think a single one of them mentioned anything about a TV show being a factor in buying or pricing. I can't remember it even being brought up in discussion. 
I know the "TV/MOVIE" thing moves the needle on comics and has for years but I haven't seen that be an actual factor on Sandman artwork. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

That's possible I guess. I had not really heard that in the circles within which I travel though.

From the folks I know spending 5 figures and up for pages in private transactions over the last 3-5 years I don't think a single one of them mentioned anything about a TV show being a factor in buying or pricing. I can't remember it even being brought up in discussion. 
I know the "TV/MOVIE" thing moves the needle on comics and has for years but I haven't seen that be an actual factor on Sandman artwork. 

Agreed.  And this is already a series that has reached high numbers historically and stayed there for some time.  There was talk of a movie for a long time before the TV thing and I don't think that caused a change in pricing.

For me the Vess price was high, but for someone else seeing it as a Gaiman-Vess page and with a instantly recognizable Sandman on it, maybe it's reasonable or only some level of over-priced.  I'd personally love to have it, but not at that number sadly. 

27 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Saw it happen with Preacher art, which has started to deflate from its TV show highs. Also Walking Dead art. 

IMHO Sandman Art is different from Walking Dead or Preacher. The collectors are fans of both Sandman and Gaiman - the market is wider than Walking Dead and preacher. Because Sandman was such a unique project (reading a young Gaiman’s scripts is absolutely mind boggling - the complexity and depth, and compassion for his co-creators) and the artists so accomplished and hand picked as it were - the work is all exceptional. Prices have been rising steadily and it’s probably the most competitive segment I’m involved in. A page from issue 1 main series without Morpheus can go as high as 10k. While I find the pricing on this page high, I would still like to have it. At the end of the day though, I’ll probably spend the money on main series pages. Great page though. A lot of Sandman is also concentrated in a few hands (though this may also be the case with WD/Preacher?)

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Saw it happen with Preacher art, which has started to deflate from its TV show highs. Also Walking Dead art.

Yeah Preacher OA's definitely dropped off; not sure about SoK pages though. Moore and Adlard large-art WD OA still seem to be doing okay.

3 hours ago, dichotomy said:

A lot of Sandman is also concentrated in a few hands (though this may also be the case with WD/Preacher?)

WD OA's pretty well dispersed at this point, especially after CC's auctions of James' collection. There remains large concentrations of Sandman and Preacher OA in relatively few hands.

I saw this just listed for $10,000.

That seems quite a bit out of line for Reis's work. I do like it, as well as Reis's general work. And, it isn't every day we get a close-up of the Super-nostrils. But is there a reason, besides "optimism", which can explain a $10,000 listing price for a DPS pencil piece like this?

Superman (2018) 18 page 20 - 21 - Ivan Reis - Pencils Only Comic Art

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I saw this just listed for $10,000.

That seems quite a bit out of line for Reis's work. I do like it, as well as Reis's general work. And, it isn't every day we get a close-up of the Super-nostrils. But is there a reason, besides "optimism", which can explain a $10,000 listing price for a DPS pencil piece like this?

Superman (2018) 18 page 20 - 21 - Ivan Reis - Pencils Only Comic Art

Read the issue.

Agreed the price seems very inflated. Modern Superman art with a handful of exceptions doesn’t seem to sell for strong money like Batman. It’s a pure case of fear of underpricing. 

7 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Agreed the price seems very inflated. Modern Superman art with a handful of exceptions doesn’t seem to sell for strong money like Batman. It’s a pure case of fear of underpricing. 

Seems to me, then, that someone is fearless.

I just wanted to add that I think it’s helpful to collectors to call out things like this. Or maybe, someone can offer solid justifications for a healthy price. 

Edited by Rick2you2

On 1/2/2020 at 4:33 PM, comix4fun said:

Hi, CC

so I can vouch that this has/does happen on private purchases of Sandman and Death art.

last month I finalized a deal for a Death page (1st mini series), and the TV hype was definitely factored into the price of this 5-figure  page.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hi, CC

so I can vouch that this has/does happen on private purchases of Sandman and Death art.

last month I finalized a deal for a Death page (1st mini series), and the TV hype was definitely factored into the price of this 5-figure  page.

Were you the buyer or the seller?

If you're the seller I'm surprised you got someone to raise their figure (a lot of quality Sandman has been/is not at the 5 figure level) because of TV movie hype for such a mature and already well-developed market (price-wise).

I am not shocked some (a lot of ) sellers are trying to use this tactic to raise prices. Hell, I've seen the "image was also used on a line of kids pajamas" as a maneuver to raise an asking price. So not surprising movie hype is being used as leverage. Just surprised it works on anyone where prices for the good stuff is already 5 figs. 

If you're the buyer (and the "Hype HYPE" made you pay more) then we've got to have a sit down...you and me. I can help you. A lot of people care about you. 

Edited by comix4fun

15 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Were you the buyer or the seller?

If you're the seller I'm surprised you got someone to raise their figure (a lot of quality Sandman has been/is not at the 5 figure level) because of TV movie hype for such a mature and already well-developed market (price-wise).

I am not shocked some (a lot of ) sellers are trying to use this tactic to raise prices. Hell, I've seen the "image was also used on a line of kids pajamas" as a maneuver to raise an asking price. So not surprising movie hype is being used as leverage. Just surprised it works on anyone where prices for the good stuff is already 5 figs. 

If you're the buyer (and the "Hype HYPE" made you pay more) then we've got to have a sit down...you and me. I can help you. A lot of people care about you. 

😂😂😂

im the buyer, and I pulled the trigger because I have been after a good Death page for the past few years.  Supply has been very tight, and this piece was already at the 5 figure level prior to the TV show announcement.

But the announcement did play a factor in the pricing and I couldn’t convince the seller otherwise.

the pricing spikes to OA when a TV or Movie are opted is nothing new.  Happened before (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ms Marvel, Preacher, WD, etc).  I think we’ll see more of the tv/movie hype influence OA pricing, but not as much or as quickly as in comics.

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

😂😂😂

im the buyer, and I pulled the trigger because I have been after a good Death page for the past few years.  Supply has been very tight, and this piece was already at the 5 figure level prior to the TV show announcement.

But the announcement did play a factor in the pricing and I couldn’t convince the seller otherwise.

the pricing spikes to OA when a TV or Movie are opted is nothing new.  Happened before (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ms Marvel, Preacher, WD, etc).  I think we’ll see more of the tv/movie hype influence OA pricing, but not as much or as quickly as in comics.

The big question is, did it impact YOUR willingness to pay it, or YOUR valuation of the page? 

19 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

The big question is, did it impact YOUR willingness to pay it, or YOUR valuation of the page? 

Truthfully, it did.  I came to the decision to purchase it based upon multiple factors, not limited to the following:

1. Availability of a good page

2. Current price comparisons (honestly, this was a dead end)

3. Feedback and opinions from other Sandman/Death collectors

4. Moderate price appreciation over the next few years

5. Availability of the page or cost of similar, as we approach the premiere of the TV show

6. Value (to me) of the effort of having to revisit steps 1-5 if someone else purchased the page