• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lev Gleason Publications (Daredevil Comics, Crime Does Not Pay, Boy Comics, etc.)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

Artist highlights from Silver Streak Comics (1940-1942):

Jack Binder (Silver Streak Comics #3):

6.jpg

Jack Cole (Silver Streak Comics #7):

34.jpg

Edd Ashe (Silver Streak Comics #18):

3.jpg

Don Rico (Silver Streak Comics #19):

59.jpg

Bill Everett (Silver Streak Comics #21):

60.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 12/23/2019 at 9:54 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

It's just my opinion ...albeit one shared by "some" older collectors... that the blame for Daredevil’s emasculation as a character falls squarely on Charles Biro and Bob Woods as editors.  Lev Gleason put a lot of trust in the creative talents of this team based on their promise to turn out 12 regular monthly issues of the Daredevil comic under Biro’s guidance.  The title proved to be very popular ...more so than the anthology title Silver Streak... and Gleason granted them full editorial control of the title along with the freedom to chart the direction of the comic.  

Biro, as an editor, was an advocate for literacy in the comics under his control and less concerned about building patronage for existing characters.  As a result, the comics he edited became notoriously “wordy” in the estimation of many collectors.  While Daredevil would gradually take a back seat to the Little Wiseguys ...eventually Daredevil hung up his costume altogether and turned his attention to being a mentor... the stories were thematically stronger and better written than most in the GA.  The Little Wiseguys developed a loyal fan base and the character Daredevil eventually disappeared from the masthead.  Also, Charles Biro was one of the first, if not the first, editors to establish a regular “Letters to the editor” page which proved quite popular.

I agree with you that Daredevil being tethered to the Little Wiseguys was a tragic waste of an iconic superhero, but it did pay off for Lev Gleason.  It’s hard to say how popular the title would’ve been without this teaming.  Not being a big fan of kid teams, Daredevil’s second banana status disappoints me as well.  That said, I can understand why kid groups were popular and so many school kids identified with them back then.  This is just my take, others may have differing views on how this played out, but Daredevil is certainly worthy of closer examination.  This topic has been discussed by fans for decades and not without controversy as hinted at in the very next post.  :grin:

:tink:

Great and precious analysis, especially for us non-americans which could have difficulties in tracing resources, criticism magazines, etc. Thanks much to both!

I have to save this when I am on my computer. :)