• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official 2020 OA Collecting Goals Thread
1 1

72 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2019 at 9:06 AM, delekkerste said:

It's well past Dec. 15, and, thus, time for the Official 2020 OA Collecting Goals Thread! 

After a banner year of acquisitions for me, it's going to be much harder in 2020, given that I killed so much of my ever-dwindling Want List this year.  My goal remains to stick strictly to only the top 1% of most-nostalgic pieces to me, with a little wiggle room for smaller pick-ups here and there (mostly newer art that catches my eye).  And, also, to finish in the black for the year on a cash-in/cash-out basis - didn't quite get there in 2019, but, overall, I've managed to hold the line on new net money going into my collection for the past 4+ years. 

Actually, I might have to add one more goal to the list - now that I recently bought my first Kaluta piece (to add to my Jeff Jones and BWS pieces), I probably need to get a good Wrightson piece to replace the Frankie plate I sold to help finance a property purchase this year so I can complete my "The Studio" collection.  Though, the timetable on that is open-ended; it doesn't have to be something I get in 2020.

How about everybody else??

Gene  

I plan on being more aggressive in 2020. I lost out on 2 Auction pieces I really wanted coming up the under bidder on both.

Keeping an eye out for a few things I set in motion in 2019 and see if I can close a few deals:

Looking for 2 specific Sal Buscema pieces but in negotiations so can’t say what.

Looking for a 1977 ASM Romita strip

Time to add more Kirby and John Buscema

Want to go to more conventions 2020

I truly wish all of you good luck finding what you’re looking for.

🍇 ape 🦍 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

2. Wonder Woman 199 (Jeff jones)

(worship)

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

3. ASM 300 

Eh, just remember that it's a lightboxed main image with all-stat backgrounds and fuggeddaboutit!

Pretty simple / modest goals for me.

Another McKean commission if I am fortunate enough to land on the list again.

Decide on artist(s) to work with for Sandman commissions of the Endless.

Try to find and land a nice published Sandman page.  Extra points if it's from the sequence I'd love to complete. ;)

Good luck to everyone on making their goals in 2020.

On 12/23/2019 at 11:06 AM, delekkerste said:

It's well past Dec. 15, and, thus, time for the Official 2020 OA Collecting Goals Thread! 

After a banner year of acquisitions for me, it's going to be much harder in 2020, given that I killed so much of my ever-dwindling Want List this year.  My goal remains to stick strictly to only the top 1% of most-nostalgic pieces to me, with a little wiggle room for smaller pick-ups here and there (mostly newer art that catches my eye).  And, also, to finish in the black for the year on a cash-in/cash-out basis - didn't quite get there in 2019, but, overall, I've managed to hold the line on new net money going into my collection for the past 4+ years. 

Actually, I might have to add one more goal to the list - now that I recently bought my first Kaluta piece (to add to my Jeff Jones and BWS pieces), I probably need to get a good Wrightson piece to replace the Frankie plate I sold to help finance a property purchase this year so I can complete my "The Studio" collection.  Though, the timetable on that is open-ended; it doesn't have to be something I get in 2020.

How about everybody else??

Gene  

I have needed the right Kaluta to finish out the Studio guys. I've had multiple pieces by the other three for decades, but the perfect Kaluta has eluded me. Maybe this year.

Hi everyone --

I just wanted to say that, for the first time in about 8 years, I'll be looking for some Bronze Age Marvel superhero art again in 2020. I used to have a bunch of nice pages, but sold them all off as I've been focusing on key books.  However, now I have enough of them that my eye keeps turning back to OA.  Not sure if I'll nab a panel page or a splash (maybe a special cover with time payments?), but I'm looking forward to joining y'all this year as a collector again! 

Happy New Year and thanks for all the great threads and posts in this section of the Boards.

Dan

On 12/27/2019 at 10:06 AM, Weird Paper said:

I have needed the right Kaluta to finish out the Studio guys. I've had multiple pieces by the other three for decades, but the perfect Kaluta has eluded me. Maybe this year.

Kaluta was the only one I had. doh!

Slow down in 2020 to divert funds to other priorities. Still pick up art that I love at lower prices. Saying this means that a pricey true grail will come along as available and blow up this plan. I am good either way. Let's see what 2020 brings!

A few thoughts.

First, a couple of folks talked about a perfect Kaluta piece-wondering what that means to those looking. Is it a Shadow piece, one of his Vertigo covers, a fantasy painting or drawing?

Me, I am going on a bit of an art diet after a busy couple of months to start the year with several direct buys from artists and a few holes filled in the collection. I wonder if the current stock market crash is going to impact pricing in the hobby too. Clearly some wealthy people woke up a bit less wealthy today. I may try and concentrate on doing a bit of trading as part of my 2020 strategy-I would love to do some straight up trades with other collectors, but even with all the social media outlets its never easy to figure out who has what I want and wants what I have at the same time.

Lastly, I am going to continue to work on building  community in the art collecting cohort down here in Atlanta. I have made some great friends in the past few years among collectors and I hope to both deepen some of those ties and widen my knowledge of local artists and collectors here. I can't own it all-but I want to see as much as I can and meet like minded folks who enjoy  sharing their knowledge and their art with other collectors.

10 hours ago, furthur said:

Lastly, I am going to continue to work on building  community in the art collecting cohort down here in Atlanta. I have made some great friends in the past few years among collectors and I hope to both deepen some of those ties and widen my knowledge of local artists and collectors here. I can't own it all-but I want to see as much as I can and meet like minded folks who enjoy  sharing their knowledge and their art with other collectors.

Yes, do continue your efforts at community building! It truly is a joy to share your passions with others (thumbsu

My 2020 (and beyond) goals are

a published Milo Manara strip (ideally from Click)
a Alessandro Barbucci Catwoman commission
a Mazzucchelli Batman piece 
a Kelley Jones page or commission with Batman or Catwoman
a Bill Sienkiewicz page or commission with Batman or Joker or Catwoman 
a Ditko page (likely from Valiant or another later project)
a J Scott Campbell Danger Girl page or sketch

and especially - to stay focused on my goals, and review goals before any purchases.