• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official 2020 OA Collecting Goals Thread
1 1

72 posts in this topic

I only collect Namor the Submariner and Spiderman in the black suit. I prefer commissions or old pin ups . I complied list artists I’m still actively searching for or trying to get a commission from

Namor:

John Byrne

John Buscema ( Avengers 1980s pages )

Bruce Timm

Alex Ross

Spiderman Black Suit

Clayton Crain 

Gabriele Dell’Otto ( fully painted private piece 

This year has been slower than 2019. I added Jim Lee, Simone Bianchi, Jae Lee, Esad Ribic , Dike Ruan, Mike Zeck , Rick Leonardi , Ron Frenz, Charles Vess 

So far 2020 has only yielded one piece but what a major one it was. A convention sketch of Namor done by the late Bill Everett. A personal grail for me! I’m really determined to land a Bruce Timm Namor somehow so I’ve kept my focus there and let go of some great Subby art staying focused on my goals!

On 12/23/2019 at 11:30 PM, Brian Peck said:

I have heard similar stories about other golden age and newspaper strip publishers. I own 1/2 a superman strip by John Sileka, heard they tore some in half so they wouldn'

t be reprinted. The ther half has probably been in a landfill for decades. I did eventually find a good scan of the printed strip. I now have the original and print framed with the original floating above the print.

superman_strip1942.jpg

Superman_framed.jpg

Very nicely displayed.

After starting collecting OA in 2017 and spending WAAAAY too much (relatively speaking), I took a two year break to focus academics and career development. Those efforts have thankfully proved fruitful and I’ve gotten back into collecting over last month or two.

I sat down a few days ago to create my want list below. But it’s a lifetime want list that I expect to be working on over the next 30-50 years, rather than a 2020 want list.

I’ll have to balance out costs versus how high up on the list something features when considering future acquisitions.  Hopefully however the list will keep me focused and not too trigger happy on impulse buys. 

Jack Kirby inked by Royer page 

League of Extraordinary Gentleman page

Miracleman (preferably Gary Leach)

Watchmen (preferably an Manhattan or Ozymandias page)

Tradd Moore pages 

Will Eisner graphic novel page 

Spawn page (preferably Capullo)

Promethea page from early issues 

DR and Qunch page 

Sandman page 

Bill Sienkiewicz art 

Mr Magestic Big Chill page 

V for Vendetta page 

Halo Jones page 

Big Numbers page 

Superman #423 page 

Detective Comic #549 and #550 Night Olympics by Klaus Jensen page 

From Hell page

Youngblood (Skroce/Liefeld)

Killing Joke page 

Jim Lee/Scott Williams X-Men page 

Alex Ross painted art (maybe - is it worth the cost???)

Edited by Skizz

Since I got my Peanuts Sunday and now will only buy Peanuts strips that I absolutely love, I may just have to add some new goals. 
1.  Peanuts strips I love pre-1959

2.  John Byrne Alpha Flight with Puck. A few have come up but need to really focus and get a good one. 
3. John Byrne Hulk. 
4.  John Romita Spider-Man page.

Edited by batman_fan

59 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Since I got my Peanuts Sunday and now will only buy Peanuts strips that I absolutely love, I may just have to add some new goals. 

2.  John Byrne Alpha Flight with Puck. A few have come up but need to really focus and get a good one. 
3. John Byrne Hulk. 

There is a Byrne Alpha Page on my most wanted list with Namor predominantly as the character. Imo it’s just the best Byrne Namor page

Since I just bought three pages on the same day (last Wednesday) after buying 17 total pages in the first nearly 20 years of collecting...I need to slam the breaks a bit. That is a VERY new goal.  As in, within the last week, kinda new goal. LOL

But aside from that?

My main wants now are:

1. A George Perez Avengers page from his first run (pre #200) on the book.

2. My first batman page. I'd love something Golden/Silver Age, but age is fine.  It's definitely going to be a "know it when I see it" kind of thing.   Much like when I found my Swan Superman page... I want something that really represents what Batman was for me growing up.

3. A FF bronze age splash OR "family" action page.  Could be Buscema, Buckler, etc.  Something in the #150-215 range would be ideal.

4. Spidey splashes by Mooney or Milgrom.  I don't have anything by either of them, and they'd fit nicely with my Spidey collection.

5. Long term goal is still to get a Romita ASM page, but now that I've got one of his daily newspaper strips AND a Cap page of his, I might be ok if that never happens.  Still... will always dare to dream!

Some stars aligned and I was able to pick up very affordable but representative examples by the holy trinity of the AD&D era -- Caldwell, Elmore, and Fabian.

A couple big Venom pieces.

The really unexpected wild card was a Portacio UXM title splash acquired from Art Thibert.  Got a lot of "you beat me to it"s after that 'un.  The HA Portacio title page auction lit that fire.

Otherwise, all has been quiet on the OA front... I don't foresee any large purchases through the rest of the year (having splurged on wifey and mom with $$ funds saved by not going out).  

On 12/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, Stefanomjr said:

My main goal is to be even more discerning with new acquisitions - keep modern/ new art purchases to a minimum and focus on nostalgia:

Dave Mazzucchelli Born Again page

Sandman page(s) - already up on my CAF Want List

Huh, I just saw the 2 Kelley Jones Sandman pages on your wants list. I traded/sold both of them last year but you probably already know that.

I think both were subsequently sold on. At least one to a fellow boardie.

Cheers
Joseph

On 5/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, batman_fan said:

3. John Byrne Hulk. 

Still a hole in my collection as well, been a goal for a while

Update...

I finally found a cover that screams 'Bronze Age Marvel Superheroes' and I'm pay it off over many months.  Will post it in 2021 when I finally get it!  Only downside is that I really can't look at anything else for another 6-8 months...

Dan

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

About five months since the last bump. Just to keep the thread handy.

How are the commissioning efforts that you mentioned going?  It seems like 2020 would've been pretty good for opportunities on that front, given the fact that most all of the big cons were cancelled.

I haven't gotten any of my goals, the opportunities I have had I have lost out to a certain golden age art collector. I last one in Clink but I think that will go out of my range. Always 20121.

Golden Age Characters:
Superman - Joe Shuster
Batman - Bob Kane
Joker - Jerry Robinson
Captain America - Jack Kirby
Plastic Man - Jack Cole
Shazam - CC Beck
Hawkman - Dennis Neville
Spectre - Bernard Baily
Hourman - Bernard Baily
Doctor Fate - Howard Sherman
Aquaman - Paul Norris
Liberty Belle - Chuck Winter
Black Canary - Carmine Infantino
Human Torch - Carl Burgos
Toro - Carl Burgos

On 12/23/2019 at 7:46 PM, Mycroft said:

Almost the some goals than in 2019 :

- A nice X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page

Well, I bought two pages featuring Batmen (the main universe one and the one from Earth 2, not yet on my CAF)

- A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page

I had opportunities, but nothing I liked enough within my budget.

- A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats, Jet, Gen-Active ...) page

I found a small Gen13 OA for a trading card !

- A comic strip

Three comic strips by Mike Roy, including one featuring Nero Wolfe, one of my favorite detectives

- A page from a fumetti and one from a manga, 

Three manga pages came home (one is already on CAF). 

- Frame some pieces,

- Maybe commission a piece or two (that would be a first for me)

No framing, no commissioning, although I may pull the trigger soon ... (I payed for a small remarque by Bob McLeod, though)